PDA

View Full Version : Will LW go with a UB version ?

vid2k2
02-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi,

Just got a new iMac Intel Core Duo and found that render and performance is
very fast compared with an older iMac using C4D.

Any chance LW will provide a UB version ?

TIA

zuzzabuzz
02-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Can't remember where I read it (Newsletter?), but they're working on it and that it'll be a while.

PixelInfected
02-26-2006, 01:33 PM
lw work fine with rosetta, and when newtek release a native version for new os i think will be faster than now. if i remember correctly i read in a newtek forum that they work on.

Zarathustra
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Have you seen LW work through Rosetta? What about the dongle driver?

PixelInfected
02-26-2006, 11:08 PM
i install driver eve
and work fine, it find corretly dongle.

good thing of rosetta is that is invisible help, only some application not work, like aperture, for example, but probably be cause it search g4-g5 processor, be cause it not start in install step, it tell me that there isn't minimal requirment. i need to attend update.

ages
02-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I think thats the problem with rosetta.
Because it works apple made it too good and thus is buys time for Newtek and Adobe to not rush to get a UB version out.
If Apple, by chance made their new comps not run LW, Newtek would have to get to work on it. I dont see a UB version coming out till 9.5, just like no xcodewas ever released.

Kurtis
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
From the LightWave v9 FAQ at http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_faq.php

Is there news with regard to the port to XCode and compatibility with Intel Macs?
NewTek is in progress on a port to XCode so that we can provide Universal Binaries to support both PPC and Intel-based Macintosh computers. We will discuss this in more detail as the process unfolds.

Zarathustra
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
There's been a promise of an Xcode version for years. I guess Apple's move to Intel now forces the issue, which is good. Also, the bulk of the LW rewrite has taken place (right?) so NT can start to entertain the idea of a UB. The last few years the idea of xcode optimization had to be waaaaaaaaay far down on the 'to do' list, let's face it.

Hopefully it will emerge during the 9.x cycle.

vid2k2
02-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments and
the quote from LW via Kurtis.

Just as a point of interest, Maxon ported C4D v9.5 over to UB
without any additional cost for the present version of the app.

It'd be nice not to have to upgrade to get UB ..... any chance
of that happening Kurtis ?

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 11:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.