PDA

View Full Version : Compression Help

daphnev
02-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Hey,

I have just finished a project for a client. I am having trouble compressing the video. I have a gradient background with some 3d and a logo. The problem is, the computers they will be running the 10sec video on are very old, I believe Pentium 3's low end. They have instructed me to use the cinepak codec. The problem is, this codec is very old and it causes my background to moire. I removed the vertical lines in my design, but it still causes a visible problem to the gradient....The gradient is blue to white... The video will be playing on a LCD screen. I tried the sorenson codec and it was great but they could not open it...I know that there will always be a moire pattern but anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce the strong effect of it?
Thanks

evanfotis
02-25-2006, 11:28 PM
For the banding, Add noise to the gradient bg, or convert your comp to 16bit.

For smooth playback, you can always drop the frame rate to 15fps which will be easier on old pcs.
You can output to wmv or DivX, both will give light files and relativelly good quality if you use the highest settings.

daphnev
02-25-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks...I will try that!

daphnev
02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
My frame rate is at 15fps....I changed the key every frame option to 600 and it seems to have fixed the problem. When you loop the video though you can see a tiny jump...

evanfotis
02-26-2006, 03:54 PM
My frame rate is at 15fps....I changed the key every frame option to 600 and it seems to have fixed the problem. When you loop the video though you can see a tiny jump... Did you try every 150 frames?
As for the banding, what are your export settings/codec?

daphnev
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM
thanks for all your help evanfotis...I finally changed the comp setting to render at 12fps instead of 15 and it worked...Thanks for all your help!!!

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.