PDA

View Full Version : AE 7 and multi-processor rendering

kromekat
02-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Having just recently installed AE7Pro on my Dual 2.5 G5, I also ran the Activity Monitor utility whilst rendering, to check on CPU usage. I was a little dissapointed to see that although it apears to be using both chips, it's not using full capacity (>200%), I only see >100% max.

Is that normal? - I figured it would take advantage of the multiprocessing to it's fullest extent like Cinema 4D does when 3D rendering!?

Adam

markdc
02-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Having just recently installed AE7Pro on my Dual 2.5 G5, I also ran the Activity Monitor utility whilst rendering, to check on CPU usage. I was a little dissapointed to see that although it apears to be using both chips, it's not using full capacity (>200%), I only see >100% max.

Is that normal? - I figured it would take advantage of the multiprocessing to it's fullest extent like Cinema 4D does when 3D rendering!?

Adam

Apparently it doesn't. There is a product that is supposed to aid it: http://www.gridironxfactor.com/products/nucleo_overview.asp

kromekat
02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Ah! - interesting, but after buying AE7 (and CS2) I don't think I'll spend another $150 just yet! :]

This shouldn't be necessary in software this sophisticated :/

Thanks for the info anyway.

Adam

Mylenium
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM

Adam

I've said this a million times already: You all are forgetting that not every plugin is multi-threaded (they need to be explicitely compiled for that) and that's what it ultimately boils down to. So if you have even only one such plugin used in a composition, you won't see much multi-threaded use at all.

Mylenium

kromekat
02-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Not sure why you feel the need to state that you have said it 'a million times already'!? - you haven't said it in this thread until now afterall. :)

So, without any plugins active, just a pure render, AE will use all the available processing power?

If the answer is as I suspect - no, then Adobe should still get a slap for not making the core app, and all the filters etc that they provide, make the most of this.

Adam L)

akika
02-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Not sure why you feel the need to state that you have said it 'a million times already'!? - you haven't said it in this thread until now afterall. :)

Mylenium has 502 posts. If he said it 1 Million times he would have writen it in every post about 1992,03 times. This IS very often, so please be very kind ;-)

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.