PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying...

olioli
02-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying z brush, however I have a couple of questions.

I've been reading mixed review's on how easy it is to use this program. Some people say it's very easy and swear by it while others think it's a little hard to get used to.

I'm totally new to world of 3d modeling. I am using Maya currently to animate with, but want to start learning how to model. Being new to modeling, would z brush be a good way to start learning?

Has anyone purchased the gnomon z brush intro dvd? Has this been useful to anyone?

Lastly, Is this program used only for organic models or can you build envrionments also?

Thanks in advance.
:beer:

jimzepellin
02-25-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't think it's mixed reviews. I think both point are legitimate. Once you get over a couple of idiocincracies then it's relatively straight forward to get up and modelling but like any package theres a lot to learn. Pesonaly I find the interface and layout a pain. I found it hard to remember where everything was but with use this gets easier.
Since you are new to modelling I would suggest, since you are using Maya, learning learn to model in Maya. ZBrush is used mostly for organic modelling it does'nt use the traditional modelling that is a mainstay of other software packages. You really need to know how to model both ways.
I would suggest getting the demo of ZBrush and see if you like it.

DorisDay
02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
At first I found it a little odd & complicated, but now I find it a doddle to use, the layout makes a lot of sense too...

I think every app has this problem to be honest, do the ZB tuts or purchase the intro to ZBrush DVD by Kurvstudios & you'll be flying in no time at all...

benclark
02-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I think people who are used to working in 3D find it hard to grasp the 2.5D thing at first.

Its not that hard thought and there is tons of documentation available. It is also the best software I have ever used in terms of technical support and forum help so you wont be stuck for too long.

As for the Gnomon DVDs I picked them up after I had learned most of the program and I really wish I'd got them at the start - it'll seem so much easier than just reading it from a page.

Out of all of the DVDs I would recommend The Zbrush pipeline. Theres so much stuff covered in it.

Nii
02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Modelling in 3ds Max or Maya seems far too time consuming and unintuitive compared to ZBrush. I'm no pro, but after using both programs I'd have to go for ZBrush. Easier, faster, more efficient, and the mesh can be ported to other apps or imported into games without too much trouble.

kurv
02-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Two words...

Buy it!!!

pnoland
02-28-2006, 12:06 PM
4 words...

Buy it right now!!! ;)

People say the interface is hard to use because they tried it and instantly decided they hated it without giving it a fair chance. I was a little afraid of it at first but it's SO good once you learn the ropes. I'm planning on releasing my free video tutorials (to acompany some cinema 4d tutorials Duderender has done) this weekend and I'll touch up on the interface and my workflow. Really, it's worth every single f'in penny, trust me. :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 12:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.