PDA

View Full Version : Google to Digitize US National Archives Footage

RobertoOrtiz
02-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Quote:
"Today we're very pleased to tell you that we're helping the National Archives take one step closer to realizing its vision. Together, we're launching a pilot program (http://video.google.com/nara.html) to digitize their video content and offer it to everyone in the world for free. I think both students and teachers can agree that any of these would make for an exciting day in the classroom:"

>>LINK<< (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/history-deserves-best.html)

-R

xino
02-25-2006, 04:42 AM
Good stuff. :)

Beamtracer
02-25-2006, 05:55 AM
That means old archive film footage will be available for everyone to do what they like with. Free.

maX_Andrews
02-25-2006, 07:10 AM
wow. very, very cool.

Jokinen
02-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Nice one! I think Google rules :)

opus13
02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
I wonder if there will be a way to access anything at a decent resolution.

maybe by paying a fee? 320*240 mpeg1 (looking) video isnt really pleasant :/

Nichod
02-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Thats pretty cool.

Blazer
02-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way, so please don't flame before you think it over.

The National Archive is funded by tax payer dollars ... shouldn't this only be available to US citizens? I assume google will shoulder the hosting and streaming expenses though...

Thoughts?

CornFielD
02-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I completly understand your point Blazer... but Internet is full of "free" services funded by someone else than endusers.

If everyone starts to think that only those who have contributed some money or effort to services, have rights to use those.... after that whole concept of internet will be quite useless.

Kargokultti
02-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I rather doubt that access to archives of that sort would restriced on basis of nationality in any country. Before the internet, all you needed was the travel expenses. :shrug:

You might want to consider the various digitizing projects all over the globe as a trade off for your tax dollars. But some of those are in pesky local languages. :p

Frank Lake
02-25-2006, 01:54 PM
I completly understand your point Blazer... but Internet is full of "free" services funded by someone else than endusers.

If everyone starts to think that only those who have contributed some money or effort to services, have rights to use those.... after that whole concept of internet will be quite useless.
Your point is pretty mote given how you pay for online gaming and access to places like CGS. :hmm: No offense.

I'm all for making it free(totally against it for education because kids watch too much and read too little nowadays), but I don't want to pay for free services when I have to pay for 'Net access. :curious:

Kargokultti
02-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Your point is pretty mote given how you pay for online gaming and access to places like CGS. :hmm: No offense.
:curious: You're not a member of CGSociety. Neither am I. Yet we seem to be able to post on this forum and read posts by others well enough. Setting this forum up must've costed money. So what was your point again?

JeroenDStout
02-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way, so please don't flame before you think it over.

The National Archive is funded by tax payer dollars ... shouldn't this only be available to US citizens? I assume google will shoulder the hosting and streaming expenses though...

Thoughts?
I can watch the BBC and I don't pay anything to the Brits. Which I think is rather fair :D

6foot5
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Thats great, the more access to information the better. My only concern would be this resource becomming the de facto reference for the world, its material is essentially an american perspective on issues.

What would be a great idea is to have a video archive completely independent of any goverment/nation.

LetterRip
02-25-2006, 06:42 PM
You're not a member of CGSociety. Neither am I. Yet we seem to be able to post on this forum and read posts by others well enough. Setting this forum up must've costed money. So what was your point again?

As an asside, we 'pay' with our eyeballs. Or did you think that Modo et al get ads at the top of the forum for free?

Given the ultra targeted nature of the ads, I suspect that ads here are at a hefty premium. Also I know that elysiun - the Blender dedicated forum, which probably gets much less for its ads is well in the black. In short this forum is 'free as in advertising', which isn't a bad thing at all.

LetterRip

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 06:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.