PDA

View Full Version : Batch Rendering

kevmo
02-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi All:

Some of you may recall years ago a utilty (AR-psuedo camera or something?) for queueing numerous numbered camera files and batch rendering them without any user interaction.

Is this possible with OSX & renderama, I keep reading posts about having to switch on each render etc.

I've got some renders to do that will run about 30-40 minutes each, it would be great if I could "Hit Go" and Go to bed and they'll all be finished in the morning!

any ideas?

thanx
k!

bronco
02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
note: i am on windows, so i don't really know the osx part, but in theory you should be able to write your render control files to renderama, enable the local render slave (if you don't have/need any other slaves) and go to bed.

well, i am in the middle of a project with 12 animations, each about 5-7 layers. i do just that, render at night and because i am short on render slaves i enable the local slave, too.
the problem is: sometimes (not often) renderama stops working. it happens when one render is finished, renderama starts stiching and the camera starts rendering the next layer.
has anyone a solution besides disabling the local slave?

uwe

kevmo
02-24-2006, 08:33 PM
cool

do you have dual processors?

I have a G5 dual so I don't activate the local.

thanx Uwe

k!

bronco
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
no, unfortunatly i don't have a multiprocessor machine. i think that's the problem for me, renderame and camera all at once on one processor is just to much. you should be fine with your G5 :)

uwe

manuel
02-24-2006, 09:22 PM
AR_PseudoCamera works perfectly fine under OS X. Just write out all the camera-contol files, drop them onto the Camera icon and they'll all render out. It renders faster then when you use Renderama, I guess because of less overhead. There should be a link somewhere on the EITG website to AR_PseudoCamera.

3Dmation
02-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Pseudocamera, and susudeocamera only existed on Mac. However, Renderama now works fairly well. Yes, It will write a temp file for every frame, and it will cast a shadow for every frame. However, if you want a start and go solution, I'd recommend just using it. One tip though, in the renderama job tab, make sure every job has the same name, otherwise each render will copy over all needed materials over for every render. On impt jobs though, I'd never just start and not check on it. I'd check every couple hours, just to make sure there aren't errors occuring, missing textures, crashed cameras, etc.

Barry Berman
3Dmation Visual Effects

kevmo
02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanx for the input all.

It worked pretty great with renderama - no errors!

thanx

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.