PDA

View Full Version : low poly sd gangster

dtek8
03-04-2002, 01:20 AM
hi i created this guy about 1 month ago,

he's 265 polys, the textures are currently quite large, but i intend to scale them down a bit for a more games orientated result, I cheated a little on the map 4 the face and got a few ideas like structure, palate, highlights and shadows, from a quake map,,, I painted it myself however,,

Things i want to improve r the hands ive painted a proper map 4 them and i want him to gave fingers 2,,,

The arms need some work to get rid of the creases were the mesh folds around the biped,,,,

Id love to hear people’s views on this and also crit/improvements as well,

thanks dtek:)

Palm
03-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Hey! The proportions are totaly incorrect..:D

I like the crazy design....:)

Cheers.

dtek8
03-06-2002, 04:55 AM
palm

hehe,,

yeah its a crazy one alright,,:D

, the proportions are inspired from those Japanese super deformer designs,,,,,,maby he looks a bit more like chucky out of child’s play though,,,,or odd jobs evil twin,,:p

i also started a animation where he’s cursing along in a white gangster style speed boat with a ghetto blaster in the back blasting music,, i had to abandon this at the mo though due to doing other things,,, but he was supposed to reach this kind of tropical island with loads of people chillin’ out doing gangster type stuff ,,, err anyway,,, hehe,,, I think the whole thing was a bit ambitious,,,,,,

I checked out your site vv cool,, love your textures shame about that evo game,,,,,

dtek

BAROBA
03-12-2002, 11:39 PM
Looks really cool :)
256 polys? Damn you're good :)
Made with what program?
Really nice :)

dtek8
03-14-2002, 03:42 AM
hay thanks:D ,, i made him with 3ds max,,,, still needs some tweaking tho:)

dtek

dtek8
03-14-2002, 03:56 AM
ooooops sorry its actually 327 pollys:p

i checked it again,, dunno where i got 256 from maby i was thinking about ram?# hehe!!

dtek:D

Ivars
03-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Only 327 tri-polys?? That´s amazing. Good work, his shirt could use more textures though.

dtek8
03-15-2002, 02:56 AM
thanks!!:D im not sure if they r tri pollys but here is the wireframe and the polycounter,, i know max trys to make eveyone belive polygons are square!!! but im sure it counts tri's????

i havent divided the polys,, either,, guess that only matters if its going into a engine,,,

dtek:grin:

Ivars
03-15-2002, 02:03 PM
hmm, I´m afraid thats quads, but still a very low polycount.
Maya doesn´t count tris but I´m not sure about MAX. Try triangulate it, and you´ll find out : )

BAROBA
03-15-2002, 03:05 PM
MAYA doesn't count tris?
Haha :)
And Alias is trying to push it as a gamedeveloperstool :)
After spending $10.000 you find out that you can't select tris?
What to think of that :)
I hope that someone has a MEL script for that :)

dtek8
I think that 881 is more like it
There are a lot of polygons that can go to make him even more lowpoly.
But I think it would be better to remodel him and make the model smoother in certain areas (like the hair).
Just a suggestion :)

dtek8
03-15-2002, 04:16 PM
yeah it would be nice to remodel it there are loads of things to sort,, and improve i dont even think its nessisary to have such a little polycount,, it didnt take very long but i have so many other things to work on,,,,:)

i did a little experiment to find out what is going on with these polycounts,, i took 1 plane with only 1 segment which is basically a polygon and checked the count,,, then i cut it into 2 triangles and took the count again,, i took grabs of both images,, so u can see,,

baroda---- the 881 is actually the polycount of everything in the scene even if u cant see it,, so most of that is the biped he is rigged 2,,

please let me know if im missing anything on this polycount thing because im currently working on a 3000 poly scene and i dont want any hidden polycount suprises!!

:)

dtek

dtek8
03-15-2002, 04:18 PM
and now i cut it in half..

BAROBA
03-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Confusing to say the least
This a window in Ligthwave modeler
It tells you everything you ever need to know :)
Welcome to lowpoly heaven :D

http://users.pandora.be/crimecity/images/LW.gif
And MAX hasn't anything like this?
In this state you have everything in the scene selected ( no cameras or lights)
The darker are those what are in the scene, and those greyed out aren't in the scene.
But it is also possible to select one kind of polygons , just click on the + for the polygons you want. And deselect them with -.
It is also possible to select them by surface.
It is so easy !

David Lightbown
03-15-2002, 07:04 PM
I would like to find something that's similar to Lightwave's polygon statistic panel in Max too, but I don't think it exists... you're right, it IS polygon heaven. You know exactly whats going on...

As for your example screenshots, the quad poly you were showing was evidently in Editable Mesh mode, because in that mode Max automatically triples everything you create and you can only see the triples if you select the edge tool and select all. You'll see a little dotted line where your triple should be. This is a feature that I tend to like actually, because I find it easier to select the triples and use Turn Edges in Max than it is to do Shift T and use Spin Tris in Lightwave. That way I can have my triples without then cluttering up my model. So if you want to see the tris on that quad poly you did all the time, simply select edges, select it, and click visible. Personally, I only turn on the edges if I need to remember that a poly is tripled in a certain way. One thing I dislike about Lightwave's tripling is that it will angle a quad poly one way, but when you triple it to reveal that line, it triples it the other way, like turning a valley into a peak. I really hope LW adopts Max's hidden line for triples system, that would kick ass. Even a "All polys tripled" section in the Polygon statistics panel would be nice to start.

Editable Poly, on the other hand, does NOT automatically triple your polys, which leads to some developers getting confused thinking that they have a certain polygon limit, where in actuality they have much more. I've seen this happen in production.

My two cents...

dtek8
03-15-2002, 11:42 PM
that lightwave poly stats thing is cool,,:)

yeah,, it would be nice to see this feature in max,,the stats r nice very detailed not sure why i would want 2 select all of my faces(for example) at the same time tho... maybe its not necessary in max??? u can divide a mesh in to seperate selection sets if necessary,, kind of the same just a diffrent way of doing it,,,,

i did another experiment with davids info on editable poly and editable mesh note: the dotted line where max has created 2 tris (see result attached) this means as my character was created in editable mesh then its is 327 tri polys!!!????

,,i compleetly agree about the the dotted line tri thing its a really simple way to work and easy to switch on if needed,, max is slightly confusing tho because it calls the "quad" a "polygon" when u r in "sub object",, and then a "tri polygon" a "face",, so it sort of gives people the wrong idea abut what a polygon actually is,,

i had a play with lightwave and maya but to me max is still my fave due to the way the realtime viewports work with the ALT+MIDDLE MOUSE and CNTRL+ALT+MIDDLE MOUSE, 4 zooming and rotating your moddel u simply cant beat it its is really like working in clay it becomes so instinctive thats, u can just turn the thing around as if u were holding it in your hand,,

maybe u can do this in maya and lightwave i just havent found the way i found mayas tumble camera etc,, but 2 me it didnt even touch max's and there seemed no instinctive way to use it,,, please fill me in if u think or know diffrently here as i would like to learn more about other packages... :D

dtek:cool:

BAROBA
03-16-2002, 12:00 AM
ALT+leftmousebutton = rotating
CRTL+ALT+Leftmousebutton = zooming

Now there is no more reason to stick to MAX ;)

Ivars
03-16-2002, 12:01 AM
You can use the viewports in Maya in the exact same way, infact the zoom function and pan function works in all windows in Maya.

Alt + LMB = rotate
Alt + MMB = pan
Alt + LMB + MMB = zoom

About the polycount on your character, I tried to count your polys, from the wireframe you added, and it seems to me it´s more than 327 tris.
Compare it to my goblin (410 polys) who only have four sides on both arms and legs, it seems impossible to add that much detail with that amount of polys. If you infact did.... I salute you!

dtek8
03-16-2002, 12:35 AM
ohhhh crap im sorry 4 causing polycount chaos,, here is the wireframe with the tru polycount!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

i never noticed b4 but whilst playing with the model i added meshsmooth modifyers to the main parts to give the thing a smoother look what i didnt realise is that this seems change the tri polys to quads!!! hence the super low polycount!!!!!!argh!!! :rolleyes:

here is another image,, showing all the tri polys hes still fairly low at 610 tho,,, i guess,,,

also thanks 4 the maya + lightwave tips,, i will be sure to exoplore more though i dont think i will be switching just yet,,,

here is the image,,

dtek:)

BAROBA
03-16-2002, 01:03 AM
From 256 to 610 ...
Damn, he better get some excercise quickly :)
He is becoming a fattie really fast ;)

dtek8
03-16-2002, 07:05 AM
fat hehe,, i will tell him to get more excercise,,

hay ivars that maya thing didnt seem to work do i need to set it into hotkeys or something?? is it the default ui??

d

Ivars
03-16-2002, 05:55 PM
I think so... I´m using Maya complete 4.0
I guess it can be changed in the hotkey settings (haven´t tried) but I´m not sure.
Didn´t any command work?

dtek8
03-18-2002, 02:27 AM
hi,, im using maya unlimited 3.0,,

a couple of the commands worked but one didnt,,, still seems a bit weird tho,, i ve not had time to try again,, also i dont seem to ba able to drop the preset brushes into the shelves wierd???

d

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.