PDA

View Full Version : The Unspeakable Terror of the Unrecognized Usb (Dongle Blues)

bardakos
02-24-2006, 10:35 AM
hello ..
i have run into a quite terrifying incident today ..
the USB dongle for Studio Workstation is not working...
i have tried installing messiah in 3 different machines trying to
see if the problem is the USB port but the dongle is not recognized... :(

(when i insert it it tries to light up .. but only slightly and for a short time then
the boing sound from windows is heard that the USB device is not recognized..)

i have tried reinstalling the software the hasp driver into 3 different machines ...but...

any ideas?

it's Murphy's Law... i have to make a presentation on Monday...

..J..

any thoughts helpfull...

necro888
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
have u tried to download a new dongle driver i think this problem
happened to me as well cause of sp2 on winxp

so just download the new driver and maybe ur lucky

:)

mpc823_99
02-24-2006, 02:27 PM
My dongle did something similar, except it didn't light up at all. I had to get it replaced. Email pmG to see about swapping it.

bardakos
02-24-2006, 02:42 PM
yeah i suppose it died!.

even after installing the new drivers i have the same hasp -3 message as if like i dont have the dongle in..

I already emailed Pmg ..

does anyone who has already done something like that know how long will it take for the
new dongle to arrive ??

thanks...

J.
_in_panic_deadline_dead_usb_dead_kennedys_mode

JoeCosman
02-24-2006, 05:25 PM
yeah, something's hosed. my dongle did that, and it turns out that I used it too much.

give it a good ol' crank over to either side and see if the light turns on. when it does...
superglue and duct tape :-) then plug it into a USB extender so you never have to touch the key again.

WoodyLWG
02-25-2006, 01:19 AM
OK, so, wait a minute. Is it better for the life span of the hasp key to plug it in and leave it in,
or to remove it when not using Messiah? I've never heard of USB keys wearing out before...
but I always just leave 'em plugged in all the time, so far no problems - but if I can do
something proactive to avoid killing the dongle, I'll do it!

Nichod
02-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Its recommended you kiss the dongle everyday. Pet the dongle. Whisper to it how much you love and adore it. Some even lick their dongles ( not naming any names! ), which at risk of electrocution I wouldn't recommend.

bardakos
02-25-2006, 11:25 AM
i dunno ...

mine is not lighting up (only for a few seconds and very dim)

i was using it lately more often than usually because i worked on my studio workstation
and on my laptop as well but not at a razy rate ...

I emailed pmg and am waiting for an aswer on how and when they will be able to replace it..

unfortunately there is no way to have a new dongle before monday ...which is the day of the presentation...

one could always have two dongles...i cannot think of another security measure...

Nichod
02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Have you tried wiggling it around a bit, holding it at a certain angle? Also take a look at the connections in the dongle and make sure everything is clean...

bardakos
02-25-2006, 02:47 PM
yeah i have tried everything ....

and i did respect it :)
i didnt not lick i must admit coz my girl was jealous ...at least when she was not there...
i always carried it in my backpack laptop case so i t was safe....

and as sydney youngblood once said...

all we can do is sit and wait

omg this was trashy...

J.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 02:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.