PDA

View Full Version : How To Morph Characters

Bayern_Munich
02-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi there,
This is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone knows any tutorials or any good ways to morph one character into another in 3DS Max or if this is even possible to do. I am making a short animation of a couple characters that need to be morphed into another one and so on. If there are any good ways to do it I would appreciate it !!!

Thank you

freakmoomin
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Im no expert but i doubt theres any easy way to do this. The easiest way i can think of is to just animate your characters and interchange them throughout just swaping from identical poses on the change over. Then try and put some transition/morph effect on in After Effects.

really dont think there is an easy answer here, just experiment.

Bayern_Munich
02-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Cool, I actually never thought of that...the only thing I thought of before was to animate the verts into a new character but that would be ridiculously time consuming and a pain.

Thanks for the help!

ptavi
02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
3DSMax has a modifier called Morpher. With Morpher you can easily morph characters, but you have to have same amount of polygons in both of your characters to make it work. Check more about Morpher from the Help.

Bayern_Munich
02-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Awesome, thank you soo much

Sharpy3d
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi, it is a morphing software that works very well, its name is Elastic Reality from Avid. Its not a 3d software, but you can use it with your render images directly.

Good look :thumbsup:

LordMcGoat
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi,
This is something I've been looking into a lot recently. Basically, if you want to morph a character into something completely different, like a man who grows another head, you're in for a hell of a ride.

But for basic morphing (i.e normalish bipeds into normalish bipeds), I've found that it's doable with a combination of rigging, blendshapes, and displacement mapping. Note that these are just things I've found, and there may well be much more sensible ways to go about this.

First off you want a rig that can handle the morph as best as you can do it. In an ideal world, the rig would do the entire morph for you, allowing you to animate every aspect. I remember seeing the rig for the werewolf morph in harry potter briefly, and it seemed to allow you really fine control all the way through the morph, like snarling etc.

Anyway, there's no way you can make a rig that's going to turn your guy into an amazing werewolf or whatever, so here's where you want a blendshape where you take your base mesh and resculpt it into your new shape. You could even sculpt a whole load of intermediate blendshapes to give you more control during the morph, but I haven't tried this before. Of course the obvious problem here is that you have to use the exact same amount of vertices. This is where displacement maps (and ZBrush) come in handy. You can sculpt at a really high level of detail, and then just have a layered texture that, driven by your blendshape, blends between displacement maps. You can even add some animated noise between maps to get some cool effects.

You'll also want two uv sets, one per character, and link each to a shader for the character. Hmmm I'm not sure how much you actually wanted to know about morphing sorry if I've gone overboard, if you're serious about it and don't understand some stuff I've posted, feel free to pm me.

I've attached a morph I did last year, when I was first looking into it. This is done ONLY with a blendshape (so one head is just modelled out of the other)

Bayern_Munich
03-01-2006, 06:09 AM
That was reallly sweet. It seems like some pretty intense procedures but if it looks that amazing in the end I am gonna hammer away until I get it right. I have been trying to research this aspect of animation on the web for some time now and found nothing as helpful and so useful as this forum. When I am plugging away at my little project I am definitely gonna try and make some form of tutorial based on all these pointers you all have given me so people like me can get a good basis and understanding of morphing characters. I personally think it is one of the coolest effects you can do in the world of 3D. Everytime I watch the X-Men flicks I always replay the Mystique scenes again because it blows my mind everytime.

I can't thank you all enough for the help you have given me!
It is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.