PDA

View Full Version : .obj export?

billrobertson42
02-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Is it possible to import a 3d object (say in the .obj format), rig it, deform it, and then export the changed .obj file?

Thanks

Wegg
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes I believe that is possible.

billrobertson42
02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks. I figure that any sort of export is disabled in the demo, so I don't think I can verify this myself yet. ;)

I guess I should double with the company then.

My needs are pretty limited for now. Messiah's marketing makes it look pretty easy to just pick something up, rig it with a simple rig and start bending away. Is this reality? Given that nothing in 3d is really 'easy' of course.

Thanks again.

Wegg
02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
It is as easy as that once you figure everything out. But as with any program as powerful as Messiah it does take a little bit of time to understand why it works the way it does and how you can get it to work with your particular needs.

billrobertson42
02-24-2006, 04:10 AM
Yeah, if Messiah could do that little bit for me now it might be a compelling buy. It seems like it's a good program unless your sole interest is getting a job in "the industry," although that comment is based more on third party commentary than any knowlege that I have in my head.

In the "Taron Talks" thread I believe he stated that they were driving towards a release. In Messiahspeak is that likely to mean any time within the next six months? Year? I'm just curious.

Oh, and another sort of dumb question. Can I import, rig, "bend" and export models with 100k polygons? I'm creating things for rapid protoptyping, and things like texturing and smoothing-algorithms don't really apply.

Will Messiah handle moderate sized meshes like this w/o completely choking? I suppose that this is one thing that I could test in the demo, although it seems like the demo might be a bit dated compared to what will be released soon. Is it even a fair comparison?

Oh, and thanks again for your help and time.

Wegg
02-24-2006, 04:35 AM
I have rendered models that have had over 5 million polygons. I doubt I could rig them and make them dance around but Messiah is able to handle a lot of geometry. 100,000 polygons is really nothing.

billrobertson42
02-24-2006, 05:28 AM
:thumbsup: That's pretty much what I expected.

JoeCosman
02-24-2006, 04:28 PM
speaking of which, the Eggprops Albertasaur in Messiah was doing 15 FPS at 180kpolys

I re-export objects all the time from wings to messiah and back out again. its also good way to 'freeze transforms' on your mesh.
-JoeC

billrobertson42
02-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks for confirming that Joe.

--

One thing that I noticed on the beginners tips (here), or the bones movie (on their site) is that I don't understand much of what they're talking about.

Where is the gettig started guide for the clueless? (Maybe there's a pointer in this forum already but if so then I've missed it -- sorry)

gsuttor
02-27-2006, 08:00 AM
If your OBJ is textured up... wil it keep all the material info etc.. I think it doesn't which means you would want to work it as a mesh file only and do all your texturing once the animation is done in your rendering app.

This info may be out of date it's been a while, but when I export an OBJ from messiah and load it in Maya I'm pretty sure the texture info is no longer on it.

billrobertson42
03-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info Geoff.

---

BTW, the absolute basic tutorial stuff is conveniently distributed with the demo itself. It doesn't quite seem to match the demo exactly though. Seems close enough to figure out though.

Anyway, it might be worth it to mention that there is some basic intro included with the demo in the beginner's faq thread.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 07:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.