PDA

View Full Version : selecting vertices, edges, and faces..tell me about it!

yolao
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
hi guys..

I have never used softimage..but i read somewhere that it has a very complete set of tools for polygon modeling and good workflow enviroment, so here are some questions that i want to know about it..

-i know that softimage has highlight selection option..what i want to know is if it is possible to have this feature just in one mode and not just in all 3 modes at the same time..vertex, polygon, edge...

-and speaking of modes...can i switch from vertex mode, to edge or polygon mode with a hotkey??

-can i move a vertex or edge by pressing away from it?

-can i have the option while i`m modeling of convert each selection in the center pivot point of the camera....similar to what zbrush do..

-if i have a hotkey for the diferent manipulators, scale, move, rotate...can i access to them by pressing the hot key or mouse buttom and then go out of the tool by pressing the same key or MB again..?

-can i assign functions to the mouse buttoms?

thanks in advance for your help

EternalArt
02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi yolao .. take it
1- If You Want to select all mode togather (Polygone - edge - point ) select polygone mode then select the polygon you want .. then press shift and press on edge mode then select the edge you want and point the same way ..
2-
U : Selection Polygon
e or i :Selection Edge
t : Selection Point
3- select the edge .. then select translate .. then hold ctrl and press where you want in space .
4- i.. don't understan (maybe you mean [f] key )
5- x = scale , c=rotate , v=translate -- yes if you press the same key = on,off
6- yes - from File >keyboard mapping
I hope that is what you want ...

McNistor
02-24-2006, 01:26 AM
@ 4: what i think he wants is this: file > preferences > tools > camera > orbit around selection > on :shrug:

yolao
02-24-2006, 01:38 AM
thank you both for the answer...

regarding to my first question what i meant was if i can have selection highlights just in one mode....for example just with vertex....and not all 3 modes at the same time...

and my 4 question is what McNistor said....here is an example of it in zbrush...if you want to check it out..is a 16 MB video...

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=029446

just another question guys...can i have symmetry while modeling?......i mean not a half instance mirror...but a symmetry a long x, or y....just like in zbrush or modo...

luceric
02-24-2006, 02:56 AM
You're probably taking about the 'm' tool, or 'tweak tool'.

You can turn on or off each type of component in the right mouse button context menu. The default is 'Tweak All'

yolao
02-24-2006, 05:21 AM
thanks....i`m goin to download the demo....how many megabytes is it?...

EternalArt
02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
To work with symmetry :
Select the object you want ... from left panel .. Properety>Symmetry map
Then turn on sym from main control panel ...

and for the size of
SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.0.1 Foundation for windows 328 MB
SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.5.0.1 Foundation for linux 316 MB

yolao
02-25-2006, 07:37 PM
symetry...wow...softimage is indeed a very powerful modeling tool...begining to explore it right now ...

thanks a lot..

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.