PDA

View Full Version : Mini-challenges?

Nichod
02-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Anyone up for a series of mini-challenges, to learn some of the workflow in Messiah?

gsuttor
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Brilliant Idea, I've been looking for a way to get back into messiah a little more, not using it at work anymore is a real bummer.

It would be good if there where REALLY simple ones as well as a little more complex, Ie: just doing something cool with a few expression and a couple of bones. Soap on a rope :) that kind of thing. :)

Or even just ONE small item each day... how does... (insert expression) work on monday, how do weights work another, etc... build it up over time.

Keep it to an 30min or an hour a day, or even 10 minutes would be better! I could do it at lunch.

Wegg
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Sounds fun to me.

Nichod
02-23-2006, 11:28 PM
So what are some suggestions for the first mini-challenge?

I'll list a few topics, I'll leave it up to the masters to come up with a direct idea related to a topic.

-displacement (muscle simulation (simple))
-bone dynamics setups
-IK setups
-expressions
-softbody dynamics
-flex

AlexK
02-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Great idea!
I'm in if I find the time. :bounce:

Lino Grandi
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm in too!

JoeCosman
02-24-2006, 04:32 PM
prj files are freakin small, so they could even be posted here, and later to zoogono.

Parsec3d
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
good Idea!

could we also make a group to enter on the current cg challenge(how about
TeamMessiah!), right now is Sea simulation.

AlexK
02-24-2006, 08:01 PM
The beach one shouldn't be too hard to do for starters.

Nichod
02-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Lets keep it simpler. Perhaps taking a look at expressions would be the first step. Someone shows an example of a project that used a series of simple expressions. Then the challenge is to duplicate the process to the best of our ability. The end would be the person showing the example explaining what they did and how it worked exactly.

stooch
02-25-2006, 12:49 AM
rather then duplicating an existing expression, its better to come up with a challenge and have people try to solve it on their own, then compare the work and learn from each other (post everyones entries in the same place)

AlexK
02-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Well, I have a suggestion then.

I built a camera rig a while ago. It included a dolly, a camera crane and a node that makes the camera shaking (adding a real life kind of motion to it instead of the perfectly still images a normal CG camera makes).

The real challenge would be to re-build the shaking node. I could post a description of it and then you could try to re-build it. It involves quite a bit more than only clicking the given expressions in the interface and requires real thinking. At least the way I solved it in the end.

But who knows maybe my solution is overly complicated and there is a way easier solution. :wip:

bardakos
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
it would be great to check how people
confront strange or extreme desinged anatomy models ...

J.

Sil3
02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
it would be great to check how people
confront strange or extreme desinged anatomy models ...

J.

I would go for this kind of aproach also...i mean...Messiah is considered an Advanced Character Setup/Animation tool, so lets show the world what it can do :applause:

Nichod
02-25-2006, 12:44 PM
rather then duplicating an existing expression, its better to come up with a challenge and have people try to solve it on their own, then compare the work and learn from each other (post everyones entries in the same place)

Good point.

Well, I have a suggestion then.

I built a camera rig a while ago. It included a dolly, a camera crane and a node that makes the camera shaking (adding a real life kind of motion to it instead of the perfectly still images a normal CG camera makes).

The real challenge would be to re-build the shaking node. I could post a description of it and then you could try to re-build it. It involves quite a bit more than only clicking the given expressions in the interface and requires real thinking. At least the way I solved it in the end.

But who knows maybe my solution is overly complicated and there is a way easier solution. :wip:

I like it. Lets get it started. Start a thread titled: Mini-Challenge: Camera Rig. And lets get this baby going. Make sure to post some relevant images and short animation examples.

dobermunk
02-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I like the camera rig idea.

Another suggestion:
I'll be creating a leech rig soon, for a short film. I'll be showing my progress and pestering for assistance anyway, so if anyone else would like to join in - welcome!

AlexK
02-26-2006, 04:25 PM
First mini challenge posted!! :bounce: :bounce:

Mini-Challenge: Camera Rig (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3278819#post3278819)

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.