PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting Folds in cloth

benclark
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good workflows/methods for sculpting out folds in clothes?

I always seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing it and wondered ig anyone has any tips

Thanks

marcus-civis
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Masking is a very efficent way of modeling. There are various ways of doing it but in this example I simply painted the mask on the model in edit mode by holding down Ctrl. You can vary the intensity of the mask by reducing the RGB intensity slider and 'erase' by pressing Ctrl+Alt. When you're happy with the mask you can either deform the mesh using the modeling brushes or by using the Deformation palette. In this case I applied a Size deformation of 20 for all axes.

http://www.benbus.co.uk/tmp/folds.jpg

benclark
02-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks very much for the response.

Could you possibly explain the masking part? I only use about 25% of Zbrush's features and have never used masking

marcus-civis
02-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Masking is a very powerful feature. I'll give you a brief outline but I suggest that you look at the various tutorials available within ZB, at Pixologic (http://pixologic.com/zbrush/class/classroom.html) and at ZBC to better understand masking.

There are basically three ways to create a mask (excluding stencils which are also a very powerful feature!):

1. With your model in Edit and Draw mode, hold down Ctrl and paint the mask on your model. You can adjust the Draw Size and the Focal Shift to change the way the mask is drawn and also vary the RGB Intensity slider. You need to remember that masking affects points [vertices] and they can only be masked or not so when painting subtle masking a higher resolution will give better results. To mask large areas of your model, place the cursor outside the model and Ctrl+click& drag for a mask based on the current Alpha. To full mask the area in this way either use Alpha 00 (the white square) or Ctrl+click ,release Ctrl, Drag.

If your model is divided into polygroups you can use these for masking. Ctrl+Shift+click a group to select it, then press Tool>Masking>Mask All. Ctrl+Shift+click the background to show your entire mesh.

2. With UVs assigned to your model paint a texture for it using Projection Master; using shades of gray makes it easier to know what you are masking. When done (and with your model in Edit mode and the texture selected) press the Tool>Masking>Int button to create a mask from texture intensity. Note you can use colored textures - there are also buttons for applying masks based on Hue and Saturation.

3. With UVs applied you can apply the current Alpha as a mask by pressing the Tool>Masking>Alp button. This is a good way of saving masks (and therefore selections) for re-use. Paint your mask use one of the above methods then press Tool>Masking>Create Alpha. This creates an alpha of the mask which can be saved and the re-applied.

Once your model has a mask you can experiment with various ways of deforming the mesh. The Edit brushes will only work on the unmasked portions. Also try the various options in the Tool>Deformation palette; Size and Inflat [Inflate] are particularly useful.

HTH,

benclark
02-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Marcus. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 11:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.