PDA

View Full Version : Need TP Help inherit position /rotation of another object

Stray
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if any body out there has a quickie way to inherit a nulls position and rotation using TP. I thought i had some sample scenes but I seem to have lost em.

What I am trying to do is use TP with Pyrocluster. i need to simulate a peice of stuffing like inside of a pillow. The peice of fluff will be held in a robot arms pinchers. The closest thing I got to match the fluff is the cloud preset for Pyrocluster.

What I want to do is use a null that the particles from TP will inherit there position from. I then want to apply pyrocluster and freeze the particles movement so that the fluff will stay in place. so when i move the null it will control the fluffs position and rotation.

Little Help?

-Danny

TimC
02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
maybe like this?

http://www.hypa.tv/tims/misc/particleposition.jpg

cheers
Tim

edit : on second thoughts, this will only work for one particle. If you have more than one they will all bunch up on the null. You might be better to use a poly object and place a particle on each point. Then you can move the poly object about and the particles will stick to each point, also you can position the points exactly where the particles need to be.

Creature
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Despite your description I'm not exactly sure what you want the particles to do exactly. TimC's solution put's all particles at the exact same location where the Null is. A lot of particles in one tiny spot (or maybe you've got only one particle for the fluff?).

A flocking-like behaviour (where the particles follow a Null in a more free way) can be done with the "TP position follow" node in the dynamics rollout of TP-nodes.

If you just want to fill a volume you could simply place an emitter inside your pillow (or a proxy sphere) and use a TP deflector on it to keep the particles inside.

But I guess TP Position follow would be quite good for the robot arm (if I understood it the right way) since you can define "lazyness" for the particles following the Null and don't have a 100% fixed position like you have with TPsetData

Srek
02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
You would need to store the relative position to the Null for each particle and then reaply this relative position.
Please find an example here: http://www.bonkers.de/download/tp_followvolume.c4d

Cheers
Björn

Stray
02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I guess to clarify Is that I want to manually control the position of a particle with a null object. That way I can have the pyrocluster object stick in the robot pincher object.

Whether I can pull this off with one particle or a handfull has yet to be seen.

I will ave a look at the solutions that you guys posted .

Thanks again!

-Danny

Stray
02-24-2006, 07:25 AM
I have checked out he scenes you guys sent me I just need to figure a way to hook pyrocluster up with TP. I have a scene with pyrocluster with the legacy particles system.

Do I have to do it with xpresso?

thnks for all your help so far

-Danny

Srek
02-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Put the Pyrocluster Material on the Particle Geometry object from TP to use it.
As for the setup i posted, you can attach the particles to any object you like. You just have to use the objects global matrix on particle creation and during animation just as the polygon objects matrixc is currently used.
I don't know of any way to achieve what you want without TP.
Cheers
Björn

Creature
02-24-2006, 08:03 AM
No need for any additional Xpresso to use Pyrocluster with TP. Just add a ParticleGeometry object (from the text-menu Plugins > Thinking Particles) and apply your Pyrocluster material to that. The Volumetracer of Pyrocluster needs to be applied to an Enivronment object just like when using it with other systems.

Edit ... too slow ... :)

Stray
02-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Cool I will try them out. Thanks again for all your help guys.

cheers
-Danny

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.