PDA

View Full Version : Clothes problems, help please

LaMereHic
02-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I have a character with tight dress on her, and as i move the character with the rig, the dress go though the mesh, i would like to know how to avoid this kind of problems...
i tried the cloth dynamic but, it only makes the dress stretch down and and the cloth dont behave as a "lycra" cloth...
i got by the way some strange aberation on the skin rendering i dont know from where it comes too....
thanks for your time..

http://www.chatbada.fr/Xoops/html/uploads/img43fda5c9391d5.jpg

Strange thing, i cannot upload anymore too...

PentamiterBeast
02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Any number of possible reasons for your cloth prob, though its most likely a difference in the positining of weightmaps between the legs and skirt, or the level of detail of the two meshes. When it comes to using clothfx, the best advice I can offer is contained here;

www.whoisjerico.rebelhill.net/html/clothfx.html

WillCameron
02-23-2006, 01:07 PM
for something like this maybe an 'airtight' hesh would be better - atleast from the clavical to the waist.
and by that i mean make the dress part of the body mesh.
second to that might be to use Weight Mapping. And you might have to throw
in a few hold bones here and there if the dress has less geometry than the body. One
way to kind of get aroundthat and make the weight maps match up better is to actually copy off some of your body mesh and tweek it into the shape of the dress, lining the dress
and body points up as close as you can.
i think for something like this dynamics - atleast as they exist now in Lightwave - can be determental - just in the calculation times and its somewhat imprecise collision solving (maybe its fixed in LW9, nobody seems to be saying).

as for the skirt part of the dress, THAT should be fairly easy. the fast trick is set a bunch
of collision nulls in the legs, set to sphere sothe sphere perimieter is just slightly outside the
leg geometry and use THAT to calculate against as opposed to trying to use the real geometry of the legs. Parent the nulls to the bones or the body mesh if the colision areas dont shift with movement.

i think its on the Newtek tutorials sitem but Proton did a video for the Dave School Batman
movie where he used the technique on batmans cape. Since the collision surface is
an integrated part of the collision system it calculates much faster than using a collision
dynamic applied to geometry.

you could use a similar technique for the upper part of the dress too perhaps - but i think that might be making it more complicated than it needs to be.

as for the redner error, could be Non Planer polygons (not much of an issue if your using a sub'd object.) or a section of the mess where more than 4 vertices meet. or maybe double points...

- Will.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 01:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.