PDA

View Full Version : - WIP - self portrait

se7enthcin
02-22-2006, 11:17 PM
I have been attempting a self portrait in illustrator. So far I've put in about 12 hours.

my reference picture

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/blah.jpg

and my WIP

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/selfPortrait.jpg

any c & c welcome.

SpaceRabbit
02-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Looking great! I would take a look at the shape of the shadow under the chin, it doesn't jive with the reference.

se7enthcin
02-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I was thinking that too. I'll fix it :thumbsup:

Zephyri
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Andrew, great progress so far! I know what a pain in the backside Illustrator can be for doing organic things like faces! You've done a great job with the hair, particularly the little curl at the front, though I'd be tempted to sue the same dark brown in the beard too.

Only thing that looks a little odd are your eyes. You might want to try adding a shadow under the lid, or empahasising the upperlids more behind the glasses to make them look more like orbs, overlapping the upperlid where the two meet on the outside of the eye might help too... just suggestions!

Love the strength in the nose and the softness in the cheeks, though. Maybe when you've finished it, you could tinker with the colours so they match those psychedelic colours in the reference photo? Really push the fact you're an arty type? Whatever the case, like how its going, keep up the good work!

se7enthcin
02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Zepyhri

I agree about the eyes. I've been having problems with those since I started with them. There is a lip just over them but it isn't as pronounced as it probably should be. I think another issue is that the shadows are not as recessed as they could be to make the eyeball look more round. I was thinking about pushing the colors a bit but I am not entirely sure what I want with that just yet. However I still may change the colors to something a bit more strong.

Thanks for the crtis guys. I will probably upload a new update later today. :thumbsup:

se7enthcin
02-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Here is the update for tonight. I believe some of the issues with the eyes are fixed. I'm not totally happy with them just yet but they are better. I tried fixing the jaw as much as I could and feel I have made progress on it. I may attack it again at some point. I think I am going to work on the hair more in this next stage. As you can see, I added more detail to the goatee and mustache

Again, C&Cs welcome.

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/selfPortraitWIP1.jpg

Euphrosyne
02-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I think what Space Rabbit was refering to was the long shadow on the neck that curves down in the middle. Your shadow seems to swoop up in the middle as if the chin was not casting a shadow. This is really a nice painting so far! It is really quite impressive. I know how challenging it is to do this kind of work in illustrator.

se7enthcin
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Euphrosyne

I tried to show that with the new addition but didn't make the curve around that side light enough and the shadow down the middle dark enough. Also, I think another problem with this pic is when I brought it over from illustrator to make a jpg of it in photoshop I brought it over in cmyk colors and not rgb. It is a little watered down. I did add more of a shadow there and the contrast in this rendition is not as good as it actually is. Unfortunately I will not have access to the updated file till tomorrow morning when I go into work (left the file there). However I appreciate the info. You're telling me that the change isn't enough and I like that.

How about the ocular cavities? I think they are better but does anyone have any ideas on any improvements I can make here?

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.