PDA

View Full Version : QT - With no Alpha's?

ThePriest
02-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd been rendering a scene to Quicktime - None (No Compression) - Alpha Channel enabled
Testing the first 30 frames. As I got some feedback saying there was no alpha channel in my animation.

On Testing, there is none.

Working with Alpha channels is someting I do very often and have no trouble with.
But it seems more like a glitch in the file, as when I copy the scene into a blank document
and render again, the problem goes away. There is not a single difference between settings that could have caused this.

Has anybody had a problem like this? Before I send the example file to Maxon.

Joseppi
02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd been rendering a scene to Quicktime - None (No Compression) - Alpha Channel enabled Testing the first 30 frames. As I got some feedback saying there was no alpha channel in my animation.

On Testing, there is none.

Working with Alpha channels is someting I do very often and have no trouble with.
But it seems more like a glitch in the file, as when I copy the scene into a blank document
and render again, the problem goes away. There is not a single difference between settings that could have caused this.

Has anybody had a problem like this? Before I send the example file to Maxon.

Did you try "animation" codec (lossless at max) with colors set to Millions+?

Since the alpha will only apply if where there is nothing in the background, is there perhaps a background, or environment in the original scene file that is blocking the alpha?

Joe

ThePriest
02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
It's rendering fine with translating to the new doc and re-rendering.
I can assure you, every setting remained the same, i'd tried the Animation codec at Max.
We only ever work with 'None','Animation' or PNG Sequences for final renders.

Per-Anders
02-23-2006, 12:24 AM
very few codecs support alpha, those that do you will have to set the depth to millions of colors+ (the quality setting has nothing to do with it). it's far better to render out to frame sequences anyway (far safer at the very least).

Joseppi
02-23-2006, 02:23 AM
very few codecs support alpha, those that do you will have to set the depth to millions of colors+ (the quality setting has nothing to do with it). it's far better to render out to frame sequences anyway (far safer at the very least).

mdme,

...I just mentioned animation max to preserve the lossless of uncompressed Priest referred to...not required for alpha, right.

Sequentials are safer (as I found once)... .pict works on Mac with alphas, about 20% smaller than .tiffs.

Joe

Per-Anders
02-23-2006, 03:43 AM
PNG is probably the best format to go with, near as lossless as makes no difference, contains alpha, much smaller than most (better than pict in my experience by a long shot).

moka.studio
02-23-2006, 08:38 AM
edit- I just re-read the post from Sadie. same advice

Buzzoff
02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
PNG is probably the best format to go with, near as lossless as makes no difference, contains alpha, much smaller than most (better than pict in my experience by a long shot).

I too am for the PNG format, and just to say that PNG is lossless when set to millions of colors

NWoolridge
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
To emphasize a point made by Mdme. Sadie, the setting for the color depth must be "Millions of Colours+"; that "+" indicates that an alpha channel will be saved. You can tell which codecs can save an alpha channel by looking for the "+" in their depth settings.

I have a feeling that the OP may have inadvertently set the output to "Millions of Colours", and therefore disabled the alpha channel. Copying to a new document will set the default value of "best depth", which would include the alpha.

Of course, it could also be a glitch or bug in C4D...

Nick

ThePriest
02-24-2006, 06:00 PM
To emphasize a point made by Mdme. Sadie, the setting for the color depth must be "Millions of Colours+"; that "+" indicates that an alpha channel will be saved. You can tell which codecs can save an alpha channel by looking for the "+" in their depth settings.

I have a feeling that the OP may have inadvertently set the output to "Millions of Colours", and therefore disabled the alpha channel. Copying to a new document will set the default value of "best depth", which would include the alpha.

Of course, it could also be a glitch or bug in C4D...

Nick

Right on the money, thanks for that.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.