PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baking Issue-Need Help

wesrm
02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Hello,
I need to bake the surfaces and illumination of my scene to a file for this model. I keep getting some weird triangular like shadows on the baked image file. Also, It seems like not all of the scene's illumination is being baked to the file. I have backdrop radiosity turned on. I have attached some images showing the baked file's issues and the uv map along with the model itself. The model is a low res 3 point poly version of the high res model. I am using this model in Anark Studio for some interactive training.

Thanks,

Wes

gerardo
02-23-2006, 03:34 AM
That is due to overlapped polygons in your UVMap. I guess you are using a planar projection X or Z, but this only works right when half of your model is equal than the other half. Since that is not your case (I suppose you have used quemLOSS or a tool like that to optimize your geometry), you aren't getting the expected results.
For occlusion or illumination maps, I prefer to use Atlas instead. Is easier and quicker. Is easier also to bake surfaces if you don't plan to paint your textures on your UVMap. If you only want an occlusion map, use SG_AmbOcc instead of Backdrop Radiosity (is faster and flexible)

Gerardo

wesrm
02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Gerardo to the rescue again! Thanks a lot man! Your are totally right. I used qemloss to try and minimize my poly count. It bakes fine when I try to bake the high res version. Thanks for the atlas and illumination map tips. I'll give it try.

You are the Lightwave master!

Thanks man,

Wes

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.