PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT PHOENIX ENTRY: Troy Benesch

tbenesch
02-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Just wanted to commit myself to this endeavor. Toying around with a couple of ideas and working on sketches. I'll post those later today, and yes I'm well aware of the fast approaching deadline...;-)

Troy

tbenesch
02-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Of course now I'm struggling with two variations of the idea. In short, the treatment is as such:

A gentle, nurturing and loving gardner has passed away leaving behind his works of art (plant wise). As his last wish, he wanted to be cremated and set in an urn next to his beloved plants. Time goes by and the plants that he helped nurture lovingly wrap around his urn and eventually uncork the top accessing his ashes. As time continues to go by, the plant(s) blossom a new life/seedling/flower/pod as appreciation for his lifelong commitment to the plants so the gardner gets reborn/reinvented. And we thought plants were mindless things. ;-) The room will be dusty as if it is in the basement or perhaps an abandoned greenhouse the gardner used to spend all of his time in. Basically, I want to instill a sense that the area was not tended to since the passing of the gardner.

Now, I'm juggling between a couple of scenearios, image one is a rough sketch of the treatment suggested above. But, part of me sees this as a derivative of 'invasion of the body snatchers'. One way around this would be having his urn in the middle of a bunch of plants that are all accessing his ashes and they are all blossoming an assortment of new seedlings...
entwined_urn.jpg

The second option is a scene of an abandonded ruined home that is falling to pieces due to neglect/mother natures fury. On the floor of one of the rooms is a broken urn with its ashes spilled out. From the ashes protrudes a sprout that has a seedling/flower/pod. The background scene shows toppled bookcases with books lying around in bitter shape. leaves and other junk litter the floor. droplets of water and puddles of water are all around, etc. I'm thinking that the mood of everything except the seedling is dark, cold, dirty, and pitiful. However, perhaps a beam of light or the inner shine of the seedling illuminates the small area around the ashes/urn in a warm natural glow.
broken_urn.jpg

AVTPro
02-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Of course now I'm struggling with two variations of the idea. In short, the treatment is as such:

The second option is a scene of an abandonded ruined home that is falling to pieces due to neglect/mother natures fury. On the floor of one of the rooms is a broken urn with its ashes spilled out. From the ashes protrudes a sprout that has a seedling/flower/pod. The background scene shows toppled bookcases with books lying around in bitter shape. leaves and other junk litter the floor. droplets of water and puddles of water are all around, etc. I'm thinking that the mood of everything except the seedling is dark, cold, dirty, and pitiful. However, perhaps a beam of light or the inner shine of the seedling illuminates the small area around the ashes/urn in a warm natural glow.
broken_urn.jpg

I think this is a beautiful and romantic idea. New life coming from the ashes. I like the second one a little better. They are both good. I could even go with the gardener intentfully having his ashes planted with seed and the two flowers are truely together in love.

The flowers recreating him is also good. But I see your delimma of having to chose. Because I just had to chose between a butterfly and a dove, I chose the dove because a bird was closer to the Pheonix theme. I could have chose to be more abstract from the theme but I thought this would awesome be more "Grand or Spectacular" you know, fires and loud sounds make people go "ooow!"

Just trying to chime in with a criteria or prioritizing that may help you decide. I think you are spot on with Ashes, and a reinvented, new life.

AVTPro
02-23-2006, 01:47 AM
It's really a hard call, they both are very good. The first would make a very good Sci-Fi channel commercial ID, if there was a good way to explain the death.

I'm think a lost the first is more peaceful and loving than a battered room. I can't call it.

PS, the invasion of the body snatchers is not a problem for me. I don't get that feeling from it, just the plant looked like a monster.

halfworld
02-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi Troy,

OOO, well, In my opinion, I like the second one, it seems to have a little more focus, a strong heart of the image, I can really visualise the cynosure surrounded by fading decay.

Plus old books are a heck of a lot of fun to do, they really help to create a scale of past grander and old wisdom, stop me when I platitude one to far ;)
Ian

tbenesch
03-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Sorry for waiting until the last couple of hours, only started modeling since Tuesday night. Aaacckkk! Have been visiting others postings and am very impressed with the level of modeling and composition/textureing/lighting. I have been hit hard with personal and business distractions but I really wanted to keep going. As with all art, we start off with idea 'A' and end up with idea 'X'. So too with this story. Though I haven't been active modeling/texturing/lighting, I have been busy tightening up the story. It now falls in the realm of Dr. Frankenstein. We are still with the gardening theme, and the urn with the ashes of the loved one (the Botanists wife in this case). The well-intentioned brilliant Botanist is so devastated with the loss of his wife in a tragic car accident that he is trying to bring her back from the ashes through experimentations with plants, his blood (thus the needle), various roots, seeds, and other materials biological. I still need to do some modeling of the other various items to include PLANTS (nothing like putting off the most difficult part to model until the last). However, this was kind of staged since Tuesday night and I'm kind of excited where it's heading. I've got some good ideas for book titles...hee, hee. I'll post some other models with textures to make sure that I qualify for the next round. This is so much fun. I'm planning to do most of the final renders this weekend...now if Murphy's Law will only leave me alone for a bit. :banghead:

tbenesch
03-16-2006, 06:30 AM
I've been trying to work with Silo, but have been using Form Z for over 7 years, so it's hard to change mid-stream, especially with little time. These are using basic colors and one image map with varying degrees of transparency. There isn't much distortion on these syringes, so the edge map works well. I'm also on the fence about where I should have the scene placed in. I'm juggling with a greenhouse or a study or a basement lab. I want to try to push the 'tragic romance' aspect and not the creepy scientist. :rolleyes:

Well, back to texturing to see if I can squeeze in any more before the gong strikes...

bronco
03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
looking great so far.
i like where the story is going and if you want to push the romance side of things, try to place it in a greenhouse or basement, both at night (not so important in the basement :) ), lit with candlelights. just an idea... :)

uwe

richardjoly
03-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Great concept, great story. I love the modeling. Can't wait to see further development.
Funny how unexpected events tend to take all your time when you decide to participate at a project like this... Hope Murphy's Law leaves you alone...

buggsy
03-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Sorry to be a pain but,

Murphy's law says that things can go wrong but that you can work around them, so as to save you from disaster.

I believe what your talking about is Finagles Law:- "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong".

Buggsy

tbenesch
03-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Too funny. As it appears, the popular adage "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" can be attributed to Murphy, Finagle or Sod.

From Wikipedia: "Murphy's law (also known as Finagle's law or Sod's law) is a popular adage in Western culture, which broadly states that things will go wrong in any given situation. "If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way." It is most commonly formulated as "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." In American culture the law was named after Major Edward A. Murphy, Jr., a development engineer working for a brief time on rocket sled experiments done by the United States Air Force in 1949."

So it appears that at a press conference, Murphy's Law was voiced in response to a quote by Edward Murphy. Finagle's Law was penned by Sci-fi author Larry Niven and Sod's law is broader by assuming "These include the ideas that “bad fortune will be tailored to the individual” and “good fortune will occur in spite of the individual’s actions”, to generally give a sense of being mocked by fate."

So essentially, they are all to be blamed! :argh:

Any rate, thanks for the comments guys. Am still working hard on having this story come together as I am envisioning it in my mind.

Troy

buggsy
03-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Edward A. Murphy III wrote, "Murphy's Law actually refers to the CERTAINTY of failure. It is a call for determining the likely causes of failure in advance and acting to prevent a problem before it occurs....Murphy and his and his fellow engineers.... worked on supersonic jets and the Apollo landing craft....they knew that things left to chance would definitely fail, (so) they went to painstaking effort to ensure success."

From the book title:-FIDGETING FAT, EXPLODING MEAT & GOBBLING WHIRLY BIRDS AND OTHER DELICIOUS SCIENCE MOMENTS by Dr Karl Kruszelnickis.

I like your composition. Your chair gives it that sense of it being an intimate place of contemplation. Whats going to be in your background?

Buggsy

tbenesch
03-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Well, here it is, my final render with 17 minutes to spare...maybe I can do one more tweak...

Again, great contest and wonder work everyone. Impressive.

HAWK999
03-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Great mood Troy

Jean-Luc

halfworld
03-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I'll second that, great mood, nice magical centre piece too!
Ian

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Yes very magical indeed considering the rest is so realistic. I like it that way. Great work.

odwalla
03-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Expression of a curtain rustling in wind is effective. I think that you express your concept very well .:applause:

richardjoly
03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
You got it. This is what I imagined from your description. Good mood and composition.

tjs61822
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I agree with the others, nice mood about the image. Like the subtleties of the blowing curtains, date on the vase, etc.

Tim

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.