PDA

View Full Version : Middle Ages, double page

mindofka
02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
First of all hi to everyone!
I'm new here and already enjoying this place so much. I 'm very happy to have found finally a place where I can gain really a good feedback on my works, from people that sacrifice their lives for an A4 ;)

http://www.mindofka.com/images/returnoftheking.jpg

The image
This piece is an older work for a commission, but I still like this composition. It started as gouache on paper (the trees and part of the knight) but the paper started to decompose (never bought that brand again).
I'm working now and then on some parts, photoshop and painter classic, but I feel the lack of a general light and mood atmosphere, I really can't figure it out, this is why it stays a scrap since then. Also I'd like to know what do you think about the horse and knight anathomy and composition, I took reference then, but I feel there's something wrong maybe.
I'd really appreciate so much your feedback, any comment and critique, to know if it's worth of.
Thanks in advance :)
ana

LDiehl
02-23-2006, 12:39 AM
I can find no glaring issues with this WIP. The thing that bugs me most is the perspective on the tower -just doesn't seem quite right. Also, I linear character composition gives it a flat read right now -but this may be remedied when you work farther into the background (it looks like you have some details planned back there). Anyway, it's a great start. I look forward to seeing it progress.

zem
02-23-2006, 07:07 AM
First off, Great work on DeviantArt. Really like the Sirius Black painting.

Now to this painting.

The front of the horse looks good, but the backside seems stiff and a bit to short and small. Compare with this picture and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.idsos.state.id.us/elect/horse.jpg

Also the back legs seem to be further apart on the pictures I've seen of horses. (Not many, I admit:))

I also think you would benefit on adding stuff to the horse, like a silk quilt or armour. When a knight is armoured, so is his horse.
If the knight has just returned from a long war and is greated by his wife and servants, maby you can make the horse slump it's head(Being tired), or stretching out it's head to great the wife.

Love the outfits and the trees:thumbsup:

mindofka
02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Thank you Laura, I think managing the background perspective is essential, as the correction to the tower, this would add the base atmosphere and dynamic to the piece, things I'm searching. Thanks for the great feedback! :)

I visited your site and fall in love with the piece with the dolphins, lovely one. Your WIP thread is great, I watched all the progresses and discovered some new things (your brother is a great actor). Having conseulling from you is great for me becuase from what I saw you have a very organized way of painting and technique, I'm completely based on my mood, constantly changing :D

And Thank you so much Robert, for the feedback on the horse, I absolutely found the problem now and understood that when I was painting the trees I got the back smaller. YOur picture helps me a lot and I will add the armour to the horse, could be a very nice touch. I'm still not sure of how will be the colours in general, I'll follow for now the suggestion of Laura and try to figure out better the background.

And thanks for the visit on the DA gallery, glad you like Sirius :D
(I'll have my site up soon I hope, feel quite depressed showing my works only on DA)

Thank you so much to everyone, all the suggestions were of great help! <3

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.