PDA

View Full Version : soft edge shadow question, how to ?

aaraa
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
i made a cg shadow in maya and composited it in AE, what i got is a harsh edge shadow,i've try the gussian blur to make the edge feel more natrual but still no very nice result, can anyone plz tell me what effect or tool can i use to make the harsh edge soft.
thanks very much!

http://static.flickr.com/36/103089464_843438544d_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/25/103089465_bd38a64a0e_b.jpg

evanfotis
02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
It probably has to do with premultiplied alpha and how AE interperts any mattes or transparency in your shadow object.
Play with the interpretation dialogue, or use the choke fx, depth matte etc.
DV garage has nice tuts on that as well as the Meyers books.

aaraa
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
It probably has to do with premultiplied alpha and how AE interperts any mattes or transparency in your shadow object.
Play with the interpretation dialogue, or use the choke fx, depth matte etc.
DV garage has nice tuts on that as well as the Meyers books.

sorry about my bad english , guess you miss understand what i mean ,

or maybe i dont understand ur mean...just clarify here again

i've already render out alpha channel which contain shadow in maya,

and i've set up everything in AE and made a adjustment layer(for alpha)

now what i want is just make the shadow's edge more soft and

natural coz my edge is too harsh like this shadow (see the link)

http://static.flickr.com/25/103089465_bd38a64a0e_b.jpg

thanks so much for your help

SirRender
02-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Using AE 7, here.

1) Apply your shadow alpha to a Solid (select solid's color to shadow color that you want) as a track matte.

2) Select you Solid color (should now look like your shadow, except too sharp) and apply:

Effect >> Blur&Sharpen >> Fast Blur*

*Adjust "Blurriness" to your liking, and make sure "Repeat Edge Pixel" is checked on.

or, you can just apply the Fast Blur to your adjusment layer as well.

aaraa
02-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks guys ,

I solved the problem by applying matte choker to the shadow layer but not the adjustment layer .

A strange solution......???

As i mentioned, i created a adjustment layer (set alpha) for shadow layer. when i

apply matte choker effects to the adjustment layer of shadow layer, the choker

effects wont work.No affect on the shadow layer.

But when i adjust the level of adjustment layer, it does affect the shadow layer.

Don't konw why?

I thought adjustment layer should control everything of the shadow layer?

beenyweenies
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Using AE 7, here.

1) Apply your shadow alpha to a Solid (select solid's color to shadow color that you want) as a track matte.

2) Select you Solid color (should now look like your shadow, except too sharp) and apply:

Effect >> Blur&Sharpen >> Fast Blur*

*Adjust "Blurriness" to your liking, and make sure "Repeat Edge Pixel" is checked on.

or, you can just apply the Fast Blur to your adjusment layer as well.

What he said, and I would add one more thing as general info for everyone. There is no situation I can think of that anyone should use Gaussian Blur. Fast blur is, as the name implies, MUCH faster to render and is programatically identical to gaussian blur.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 02:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.