PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Kyena
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
We have a problem with a little video.
It's some footage of cut together videos and a soundfile we want to add.
Everything sounds good but after the saving/rendering you can hear some strange little cuts in the music each second. Like a metrum thing.

We tried to save and use all different file formats but nothing helps.
Does someone know what the problem with this may be?

Thanks a lot in advance. Any hints and tips are greatly appreciated :)

I guess it might be a general problem..this appears actually while using different programs.
Something wrong with the codec or?

scrimski
02-22-2006, 04:21 PM
What format has your soundfile? Sounds like you are using an mp3-file. Convet it into a wav or aiff-file, import it and everything should be OK.

henningsen
02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm the one making the video and having problems...

I've tried using both WAV and MP3, and I have the same problems with either files. It's like the sound gets completely distorted. It looses the beat and turns completely flat. I've tried using different bit rates, even 44k, and still no improvement :(

I've even tried 3 other movie editor packages, and the same problem occurs. Even with other sounds, so I don't think it can be something wrong with the sound file itself.

What codecs do you prefer when exporting a video?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'm slowly starting to go crazy here, heh.

scrimski
02-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Sample rate( nopt bit rate) for editing should be 48 kHz not 44, but most edit apps are able to convert or work with both rates.
Maybe it's a hardware problem since you tried it in different apps. Did you played the file on another machine?

The export codes depends on what I do with the video, usually I export sequential graphic files into either AVID or Final Cut, if I edit them further more, sometimes Quicktimes (DV-Pal). Into Encore, when to burn on DVD, I encode into uncompressed Quicktimes.

henningsen
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
We tried rendering the movie on different computers, and the same problem appeared there as well. It's very strange.

I will look into what you are saying about the sample rate, and also try converting the sound to AIFF just to eliminate all the options, lol.

We want the file to be either AVI, or a WMF (spelling?). I guess a DivX or the Cinepak should do the trick? (I'm having all these problems while using the DivX codec)

scrimski
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Go for Cinepak.

henningsen
02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Allright, thanks for your help :-)

vineeth_pulari
02-22-2006, 05:26 PM
its just the prob with formats, it happned to me a year back, i did something(sorry i dont remember what i did) and it wrked fine....i was using some format like .ogg or something....just play with it..it will be fine

beenyweenies
02-24-2006, 02:06 AM
We tried rendering the movie on different computers, and the same problem appeared there as well. It's very strange.

I will look into what you are saying about the sample rate, and also try converting the sound to AIFF just to eliminate all the options, lol.

We want the file to be either AVI, or a WMF (spelling?). I guess a DivX or the Cinepak should do the trick? (I'm having all these problems while using the DivX codec)

I don't believe you said what this movie output is for, so I can only assume web delivery given the codec choices you listed. Cinepak is the worst codec available IMO. I would avoid this one at all costs, unless there's some compelling reason I don't know of. It is based on very old algorithms that are sub-par (understatement) by today's standards. If you are planning to use Divx or Cinepak for web delivery, there are much, much better options out there. Cinepak is older than dirt and therefore has pretty wide support for end users, but other options, like Sorenson, are better quality and give you more control of the settings. Divx is ok but has a much more limited install base.
If you are NOT doing this for web delivery, you shouldn't be using any of these options. Use something like DVCPRO (mac) or Uncompressed AVI (windows).

As for your sound issues, what is the source of the sound file? If it is giving you problems on many machines, and even when you output to wav vs. mp3, I would say your sound software package is most suspect and should be eliminated as the cause. Sorry to even ask, but are you using cracked software? This can give totally random and unexplainable problems, as it should. ;)

Good luck!

henningsen
02-24-2006, 08:39 AM
beenyweenies: Yeah, I figured out that using Cinepak was not the way to go. We finally made it, and got one DivX and One Mpeg1 version ready here now, phew! (Mpeg1 is good because there are no codecs requred for watching it, I 've been told:) ).

The sound is still not 100% perfect, but it is good enough.
Still, the problem with the sound still bugs me, and the first 2 programs I used are fully licensed, so it shouldn't be any programs. I tried on 2 other software packages just to check, but still got the same result. (I even tried on different computers)

Appreciate your reply, thanks a lot :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 08:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.