PDA

View Full Version : Free hips?

kamsvag
12-12-2002, 04:54 PM
I've seen several riggs where a character have been abel to move the hips without the spine following... Alowing you to adjust the hips without the spine moving around, and a second controler alowing booth spine and hips rotating at the same time... Is there any tutorials on this on the web???

goosh
12-12-2002, 07:17 PM
You can buy Jason's DVD from the alias wavefront site.

He has that set up there...

G

jschleifer
12-12-2002, 08:23 PM
Yep, the stretchy/spliney back.. gotta love it. :)

-jas

MDuffy
12-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Can you not achieve this by having a null that is the parent of the lower spine and the hips? Then you can move the hips without affecting the spine, move the spine without affecting the hips, and move that null to affect them both.

Later,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

jschleifer
12-12-2002, 10:52 PM
yep, but it's a matte of how the spine interacts with those two controls which is what the technique I discuss does.. it's a really nice "feeling" control.. very fast and easy to use. :)

-jason

dwalden74
12-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Jason-
When is the next DVD coming out and what will it cover (I think you said this before but I cant remember right now)? Im getting quite a bit out of your current DVD, especially nice are the ideas on procedural rigging and creature management (which fits nicely with what Im currently doing). Thanks.

:beer:
David

jschleifer
12-13-2002, 08:40 PM
A|W is putting together the final touches on the DVD right now, so hopefully it'll be out soon! :)

The DVD covers a number of techniq

jschleifer
12-13-2002, 08:46 PM
oops! hit return accidentally.. :)

The DVD is mostly about techniques to speed up your animation rig & techniques. It shows a fast method for creating fk/ik arms based on one joint structure.. a technique for creating and dealing with multi-resolution animation rigs.. tricks for speeding up your rigs and making smart decisions on when and where to use expressions, math nodes, connections, etc... tricks on how to speed up expressions.. techniques for animating quickly.. and a few other things.

:)
-jason

SheepFactory
12-13-2002, 08:59 PM
:bowdown:

AWAKE
12-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Jason,

Did they fix those files that are on the masterclass CD? ? I still havent gotten them to work...

olivier georges
12-14-2002, 08:07 PM
i`m really eager (is it the right word ? :hmm: ) to buy this new dvd ... the first one is really fantastic....:buttrock: Thank you Mr Schleifer to transmit all this knowledge:applause:
_____
Olivier

jschleifer
12-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Yep the files have been fixed and sent to Alias|Wavefront.. they're doing hte final check, and you should be able to get 'em. :)

-jason

CarlosA
12-16-2002, 05:57 AM
ok I'm attempting to translate a script done by Daniel Martinez Lara,
for max to Maya.
basically what this script does is attach the roll and twist channels (spline ik)
to control shapes and then it subtracts the roll form the twist.
allowing you to move the heaps independently form the chest.
it's based on 3 controllers.
chest bot and torso (torso allows you to control bot and chest together.)
and the theory behind the expression is the following,

roll = bot+body
twist = chest- but

then the both the chest control and the bot control are linked to
torso control. and your done.
now I have translated it from max to mell but it does not seem to give me the right effect. when I move the but control the chest experience minimal offsetting.
has anyone tried this?

here is my expression,

float $body = CTRLbody.rotateY;
float $bot = CTRLbot.rotateY;
float $chest = CTRLchest.rotateY;

ikHandle1.roll = $bot + $body;
ikHandle1.twist = $chest - $but;

CTRLbody, CTRLbot, and CTRLchest are my three test controls.
I also have I Maya file I can mail to anyone willing to help me fix this problem.
I know some people would like to find a nice simple tutorial to achieve this effect, and if I get this working I would love to be the first.

Los.

Matt Leishman
12-16-2002, 06:36 AM
hey Jason,

I too have been anxiously waiting for the fixed masterclass mel scripts. You mentioned to AWAKE that they are available, where do I go to get them, should I be waiting for an email from AW directly? Any help you can give with this is really appreciated, thanks.

Matt Leishman

jschleifer
12-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Heya,

you should be able to email the address I gave out in the course, and that person will let you know where to download them. I think they're converting the files into PDF files (instead of the word docs I handed them). I've fleshed out hte documentation a bit & fixed a few things.. fixed a few scripts.. etc. :)

lemme know if you have trouble!
-jason

AWAKE
12-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Good to know...

Thanks alot Jason.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.