PDA

View Full Version : Help: Setting distance between 2 objects

Newstream
02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi Xpresso Gurus.

Sorry for bugging but I'm stuck and need help.

I'm in the middle of a project where I need to set (via user data) the distance between two objects. In this case between the camera and a tower. I need the tower to remain stationary at all times while having the user data input only affect / constrain the distance of the camera to the actual tower.

See attached file:
This is probably easy-peezy to set up but I just can't wrap my head around it (yet)
I've managed to set up some other Xpresso within the file to clamp the camera height and display distance data on the screen

Any tips on cracking this highly appreciated.
Cheers / Alex

tcastudios
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
If I understand what you want:

In SteadyCAMPRO put the tower in the T1 slot.(The other slots will use it also if they are empty)
Go to >>TO ORBIT<< mode and set the distance via ORB Dist, the position with ORB Dir,
camera height with ORB Trim and target height with T1 (and T2,P3,P4) Trim.
Pan to T2, P3 and P4 to use the other settings.

Link the Target Distance in the SCPRO camera object to text as you have done if you want
it read in screen.

Cheers
Lennart

Newstream
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Ahh..of course......SteadyCam!
(duh.. why didn't I think of that?)

To be honest, this was the first project / opportunity that I had to take SteadyCam for a spin and invest some time in studying what it can do.

Long story short: It saved me 2-3 hours work today.
Great stuff.

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.