PDA

View Full Version : PHEONIX PROJECT ENTRY: Alonzo Von Threet

AVTPro
02-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh Man is this where everybody is?? LOL.

I have been looking all over. Well, I'm glad I only found it til tonite. I may have chickened out!! This stuff is looking good.

I just realized. I never entered Art Contest before. I got issues, I know.

Why do I have butterflies in my stomach? I'm scared. It's not about winning right? It's how you play the game.

I will post tomorrow. You know me. Very wordy. It must be nerves. LOL.

Not sure what's going to happen, but I'm going to jump.

Vizfizz
02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Do it man! Do it!

You've got until midnight tonight (PST) to get those sketches in...

AVTPro
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Everythings done. I just haven't post. It may all a bit over worked. But I will with you guys. I think I'm more excited about other people work than my own. LOL. I know I wanted to do this for a long time. I love see different approach. Ok. only one disclaimer, before I jump.

I had plan to use this month rigging, and I'm looking for work, so if something comes up, I will just work this as long as I can and hopefully finish.

And thus we begin.

Vizfizz
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm with yah.. you gotta eat.

Do your best.

AVTPro
02-22-2006, 08:34 PM
THE MISSION:

You must create a story and 3D image depicting the central theme of this competition: Rebirth & Transformation.

In ancient mythology, the Phoenix was the symbol of life, death, and resurrection. This bird, known for its power and beauty lived for over 500 years, before being consumed in its own internal fire. From out of the ashes, a new life would emerge.

Itís not necessary, during this competition, to be dependant on the traditional imagery of the Phoenix. Everything goes through little lives and little deaths everyday. Your story and image can depict any character, place or thing that is going through this process of transformation. Given the somewhat spiritual nature of this theme, your image should evoke a sense of wonder, mystery, beauty, grandness and emotional impact. Be creative. Think outside the box. Remember, from out of death comes new life.

-----

So thus it begins:

THE ARTIST

My name is Alonzo Von Threet. I'm an artist who have done most forms of traditional medium. I love them all. Now I do computer graphics and I would like to do independent films. I'm excited about being a part of rising EIAS out of it's occasional low valleys we all experience on the road of excellence. It's definitely back on the high road. I think it just needs to be brought of out it's secretive shell, up in the air where everyone can see it. Not hidden in some hideaway lab in Hollywood. I feel this contest will help me do the same thing. Stop hiding my work or some of it. I never competed before. It's very exciting to have some fun working towards the same prize!! Good Luck everyone and let's Kick Butt!!

Being an artist all my life, I have touch lots of topics. I have sold portraits and paintings that I will never see again. Some paintings, I don't even remember I did. People tell me about them, but I haven't a clue what they are talking about. I believe them though. I just enjoy the smile on their face while they are talking.
Three months later I will come to me. Wish I had asked for a copy. I am saying that to say this. The Phoenix is not a new topic. This is a topic that I was already very interested in. This project has already help me reformulate some old ideas to repurpose them to a new intent. I have other topics that are very close to the Death/Life transform, (Butterfly/cocoons) in my Stevie Wonder Oil, that I had to chose from. I chose another instead because It's about a bird figure. In my painting is the rebirth of the world instead a microcosm of that world.

THE HISTORY

While growing up in Buffalo, NY I aspired to become an artist. I did four creative paintings during that highlighted those pursuits. As soon as I finished the fourth I moved to New York City to use my talents as an album cover illustrator. Well, a lot of things changed from the time I actually moved into the city and the time I left. Album covers has been transmuted to CD cover. In New York I stopped painting on canvas because of lack of studio space. Fortunately, I also was learning to compacted my skills into the glowing canvases of computer boxes. I began to paved a new career in art studios, teaching in colleges, animation and productions. I even worked for a film company doing logo animation, (Tony Lover's, Liberty studio on 26 th.) I didn't paint but I never lost my love for painting art and I believe that computers were a tool that was going to be a new medium of expression. Now that I am fully submerged in the digital art. I have returned to Buffalo to returned to personal art. I concider myself a surrealist. I would like to rebirth these paintings with the use of EIAS as independent short films. This Pheonix project will be the first deliberate step in keeping the promise to myself to reproduce them.

THE ART

The first painting was called "my song". It was an inspiration from Al Jareau song called Alonzo. (Here (http://www.mp3sugar.com/album.dhtml?id=32578&aff=2363)) Yes, I have my own theme song in my name. The painting, like the song, was about the joy of finding one's spirituality which in my case is Christianity.

The second painting was an inspiration from Randal Thompson " What is man?" A classical chorus song. (Here (http://www.choruspromusica.org/about_works.html)) I called it "The light of the world" . It was redubbed "The Christ Painting" by spectators at exhibits. (Here (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/TheLightoftheWorldA.jpg))
It's about the Son of God, Jesus and believers being transformed during the Rapture and singing praises to the Messiah among the stars.

The third was entitled "Prelude to Peace". It's an apocalyptic vision of the war between good and evil. My motivation for doing the piece was an antinuclear war statement . It also ties into the biblical event after the Rapture in Revelations. I am still going to use parts of this painting shortly so I can't show the whole thing. Just the quarter I am recreating for the contest. (how's that for mystery?)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/HolyFireDove1.jpg

Hmm. Looks like the WTC burning (?) A song from Prince's (Nelson Rogers) 1999 Ablum AUTO-Matic was the inspiration. "Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?" The quote I can't find in online but all his work have nuclear war awareness statements. "You think it's hot? There won't be no water, when the fire blows" (Enjoy (http://enews.umpg.com/newpromo/quicktime/Prince-PopLife-High.html)) Besides God, I believe Nuclear War is the only thing I fear. It's worst than just myself dying. It's like killing ALL LIFE, death after death. Death after you are gone. Killing Earth itself, the Creation. As if it's purpose is to mock God's good work, if it was possible. I hope we never see another bomb drop.

The forth and final painting was called Rebirth (Here (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/HeavenA.jpg) and subtittle "Renaissance (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/SteviePan.jpg)"). It is the world that has come to a new beginning after the old order (or new world order) has been demolished and passed away. It is life more abundantly in the light of God in the 1000 year age of the first Heaven, the city from the sky. The inspirational song was Steve Wonders' Journey through the Secret Life of Plants. (All of it is great Here (http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,187981,00.html)) It was the soundtrack for a movie. This painting was more so a Butterfly theme. I hope to revisit this theme soon. I can only show a portion.

The paintings were all large scale. 4' x4. 5x8. etc. All I have is a polaid, or a small snip from a video. or a color copy. Unfortunately they are all gone.

THE CONFLICT/CHALLENGE

All the painting were stole, torn or lost in NYC. It hurts to think about it. I will turn my hurt into a halo. I aim to recreate them digitally. Resurrect them in a new media. This is the undercurrent that also made the Pheonix project so appealing. The paintings themes when unified symbolized a transformation of man and his world, an osmosis from traditional to digital. This Phoenix project will help kick start my journey. I'ts a science fiction theme because the imagery symbolic and surreal. Sincere help with financing a film is welcomed. Completely burying these concepts as secret is has not been a good plan. Hopefully showing will inspire more work.

THE GOAL

To do one excerpt or element of the one painting in 3D with EIAS. I chose the Giant Dove. My biblical interpetation of the Dove suggests new life. A dove descended on the Virgin Mary and the new life of a holy king was created. A dove was sent out from Noah's Ark to find a newly recreated world or dry land after the old sinful world had been destroyed. In Christ's first appearance in the Bible as an adult , the dove descended upon his shoulder while he was being baptized by John the baptist. It symbolized his new mission in life as the anointed or chosen one. Baptism symbolizes being submerged as the mortal man dying and rising from the water to a new life with God as a spiritual man. A dove traditionally represents the Holy Spirt of God. The Holy Spirit is also represented as a tongue of fire that appeared on the first Christians in the Upper Room. This is called baptism of the Holy Spirit or "On fire for The Lord". This "FIRE" and the "Dove-BIRD" are the elements which coincide with the Phoenix mythology, the Fiery Bird.

Peace is the ultimate weapon against War, not more missiles. God is Love. Everybody knows that, even chiildren. The Dove also symbolizes Peace, and the forementioned, "The Holy Fire of Love" or God who says "Love one another" is what can transform our world into and oasis of Peace. Forget all my interpretive gymnastics, all would agree, a world without war or true world peace, would be Heaven. (Amen to that brother)

My goal is to create the section of the painting which depict a Fiery Bird as the ultimate weapon against war in Electricimage for the Phoenix Project.

(If you think that's zany, then you should see the other half of the painting.)

THE STORY/ PAINTING

Oh alright..I will show more. so much for mystery, ok. But not the evil side until I have it done in 3D. hopefully after I can afford a new CPU. I edited out.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/TheGoodSideAngel.jpg

Half of "Prelude to Peace" The oil painting about a 5' x 8'.

The trumpet blows and thus it begins. The great composer orchestrates song in the heaven. The star angels sings. The armies of Heaven are summoned. The Stars call out the name of God. This is "The Prelude to Peace" the battle before the new world. The struggle that comes before victory, the storm before the quiet. The ultimate Good vs. Evil. The story line has a major plot twist and other sub plots and shocking reveals.

The other half represents evil. I can't show the other half of the painting. I am afraid some studio will hack my images before I recreate it. It happens. I will say this. Though the painting was done 2O years ago, The images are very timely. So this is only the good side. I will reveal many more images when I can afford to work on them or if I receive sponsorship.

THE PRODUCTIONS

I want to push myself a little more than the rules by limiting my palette to specifically EIAS. No modeler except whats in EI. So I am going to attempt to do it without a modeler and use whatever resource I can. In otherwords, "Use every part of the Buffalo." However, I will probably need at least texture mapping tools, so that includes Photoshop and some type of UV editor. I'll try hard not to use a modeler but if I can't I will let you know. I would like to use as many EI resource and Plugin as I can, at least the ones I can afford for OSX, no OS 9 plugs.

NOTE FROM AUTHOR

Entering this concept will give me some exposure to my sci-fi film and help me develop as a story writer. Maybe I can find an angel investor. You never know. This is sorta of a grand opening. I have a Blog site that will show "Work in Progress" after the contest.
I don't plan to do the film by myself, but will look from help from other EI users around the world, via the Wombative Platter when I get financing. This one is more like an Anime but I have many other worlds and works I would like to materialize.
Though I have copyrights I am glad this forum will also serve as proof in public.

Artistically Yours
Alonzo Von Threet

AVTPro
02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
OK. now for my new sketches

I like this one. I think I may just do the head.

The spaceship with the " new beings" in it, transforms. The plasma conductors that are also used for interstellar travel projects the pheonix as a fiery enery bird.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/FuriousFireBirdA.jpg

AVTPro
02-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok. Here's a new another new thing the contest has invoked me to do.

I'm putting more thought into the spaceship transformation. Reverse engineering it. I have a problem with the eyes of the bird just being there. It has to make more sense why it exist. It would logistically make sense, if it was part of the ship. It hit me the other day.

So it's kinda resembles the Enterprise now. The two plasma engine can come out of the ships hull. They form the eyes of the "Pheonix Mode" of the Bird. I think that's a good solution.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/ReverseEngineeringa.jpg

AVTPro
02-25-2006, 11:11 PM
As I mentioned, I would like to do as much as the project in EI as possible. So hopefully, no geometry generation will occur except in EI. Photoshop for texture is common place. I may need a UV editor but let's see how it goes.

So far so good. I used BlobMaker plugin (not Mr. Blobby) to make the body out of UberShapes plugin spheres. I did the brow, then bodyblob. It's a dove.

I may do it over now that I have a better understanding but so far I like it. I used a taper deformer on the tail.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/spherizer.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Bodyblob2.jpg

So this was a lot like Zbrush. I had to read the manual, and do a bit a research to get the
settings, (talked with Igors) but good thing is that all the plugin developers have excellent support. This one a matter of getting to setting correct. So I'm posting the setting to help those save time from tweaking back and forth. The ubershapes were straight forward.

See, Zbrush is not a new concept, EI users had it for years (kidding). I wish metaballs retained point order after moving the sphere. It would be a good morphtool.

Still it's very temping to just do this in Zbrush. Next the wings and feathers. BTW, this is the first time I ever used these plugins, especially to model. I am very impressed with Blobmaker. It does a lot and I only had to read 14 pages to undestand the whole plug.
Once I have a nice model, I export and import to only have the shell, and the blobs won't recalculate.

Vizfizz
02-25-2006, 11:21 PM
I applaude your efforts to do it entirely within Animator, but without any modeling tools you'd be at a huge disadvantage. Using Zbrush is permitted. But if you can pull it off without it.. well.. wow

AVTPro
02-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the warning. Hopefully I'm no worst because of it. Yes, it's not set in stone. I would like to focus on EIAS, and plugs ins. Yes, I will probably use Zbrush but I wanted to limit it to painting. Zbrush and Photoshop would be the same in that respect of texture painting. One is 2D and one is 3D painting.
Being at a disadvantage? Well, that's not good. That's bad.

it's not really a complex model and my focus is on the image, impact, grandness etc. Considering EI doesn't have a modeler, I'm hoping to shed some light on being resourceful.
I once taught an india girl named Singh, who had bought EI when it was 7K and couldn't a afford a modeler. So I had to teach with only what came with it. Now, you can get a very capable modeler with EIAS for only $50, Silo and Wings3D is free. Still it was just to show how much can be done in the program as a stand alone.

Before I went with this subject, I considered more complex modeling topics, but I'm focusing on EI and not my modeling skill. Then, also I would use EIM (not commercially available) or I would use FormZ 5 or Maya. For this competitions, I would like to spend as much time in EI as possible, learning new plugs and pushing the app. I want to really challenge myself and I'm having fun. If I can still compete, without a modeler then how much does that say about my EI talent? How much does that say about EI?

I don't me to come off arrogant, just tryin and some spice for myself. I think it's just my approach.

Lastly an important decision-maker for me was, I only added that this extra personal criteria because the imagery lends itself to it. I'm not doing humans just the bird. It's not a complex image in the way of modeling, that why I think it's working.
As, in my sketches I'm only doing the bird and spaceship. If I have to bail on the spaceship I will.

My main concern about the models is will the surface hold up to controllabe instancing, with PlacerDeposit or Trooper for the feathers. If the topology does work, I doubt if you will even see the model. It will be feathered.

Thinking about this image, If I did use a modeler, based on the sketches, it wouldn't help much.

I have no clue if this image is doable either way. The big deal would be for me to learn new Plugin that I never used, instead of modeling which I could spend most of my time doing.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Brow.jpg

This is the brow. I made the sphere one side then, use the modify axis command to mirror the same sphere on the other side.

If you really think I am going to lose because of this, the please, STOP ME NOW!!! (lol)

AVTPro
02-26-2006, 12:57 AM
One comment and please any feedback would be appreciated.

I thought one of the things we would be judged on is the spirit of sharing and involvement and as well as tutorialship of our posting. I believe I have posted in all other forums, but a bit intrigued why none but yourself has contributed any feeback here.

Things that make ya say hmmm...

No doubt they gave up after the first paragraph. Maybe next time we can say treament should be 50 words or less? I don't think I got that memo. LOL.

AVTPro
02-26-2006, 01:21 AM
well.. wow

Nevermind, I reponsed before I read this part. that's what I'm talking about !

YYEEEEAHH!!

AVTPro
02-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Here's something that is in lines with what feeling I want. I did this with AfterEffect about 4 years ago.

The radii or 24 pt. star is pretty popular on TV now. I made two stars and rotated them in opposite directions. I used them as masked tracks and scaled the layers in them. I set them to different speeds. I'll look for the animation if I can find it. I did it for a broadcast on the public access channel.

I bought this up because I am going to do the wings next. This is my reference.

I just want to specify, and I thought specified it in the Treatment. I'm only doing the dove.
I just wanted to show that Pheonix-type depiction in context.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/LoveyDovey.jpg

BTW the scan of the Earth was a download NASA, a one gig file. This image represented a Stainglass window, and I used the StainGlass filter in Photoshop.

Vizfizz
02-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Alonzo,

I'll give you all the encouragement I can. I do not believe that the lack of a dedicated modeler will reduce your chances of winning at all. You're resourceful and will probably teach us all a lesson in ingenuity.

You are correct to state that this should be a learning process. I am expecting individuals to contribute to their threads and document their creative process. As far as judging goes, its as important as the final product.

So stick with it!

bronco
02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
hi alonzo,

my respect for your descision to use only eias and plugins!
what a bold statement. i know that eias can produce great pics out of nowhere and i am really looking forward to see what you can get out of it.

...and yeah, it is really much to read ;)

uwe

AVTPro
02-26-2006, 10:00 PM
hi alonzo,

my respect for your descision to use only eias and plugins!
what a bold statement. i know that eias can produce great pics out of nowhere and i am really looking forward to see what you can get out of it.

...and yeah, it is really much to read ;)

uwe

LOL! sorry bout the lengthy post. Coming from one who doesn't like to read manuals unless there's lots of pics, I should have my hands slapped for typing that much. If you can gleen it, the actually treatment is only a paragraph. I'll relabel it if I can.

Thanks Brian and Uwe for the encouragement. I'm glad I am still on the same page with everyone else. I'm a loner, but no man is an island. It's important to me to have team mates to pull you in the right direction. I will tell you why.

Once I went to a fortune 10 corporate training camp. We had to climb a large scaffold that was about 3 or 4 stories high and walk across a small beam to the other scaffold one at a time. Just like in "Scare Factor" TV shows.

From the ground it looked easy and there's was no danger because I was rigged to a back strap which was attached to a metal cable over head. The height was only the impression of danger. I was really assured of myself. However, when I got in the middle of the beam and looked down. The danger became very real. I wasn't going to make it. I froze.

Team members who had already made it to the other side ( the ones with absolutely no concern for heights or their life) were instructed to energetically "cheer on" the other team members making their way across.

It was the first time in my life, when I finally realized I needed other people's good thoughts about me. Before that moment, I always thought other peoples words never made a difference. I was wrong. I had to search deep inside to find the courage to take the next step. Their words help me find it. It was so funny. I squinted up my face and started breathing really hard, and only listened to the empowering words of my team mate, not my doubt or fear. I made it. I immediately turned around and started cheering on the people because I knew how valuable it was to me. Still, some people were too afraid to climb the scaffold. It wobbled. They just bust into tears and turned around half way up the ladder. Some even needed emergency help getting down.

One thing I like about CGTalk forums and the interaction of it's users is the couth and courtesy given in constructive critiques.

People that just say negative things, or never any good. I avoid. I figure, it must have some ill effect on me as well as themselves. Even if it doesn't deter your success, it's a very bad thing and it doesn't help anyone. I guess that is why in "Scar Factor" the competitor tries to discourage you, or keep you from winning by shouting negative things when your attempting to climb higher or worst in peril.

I always try to encourage. I just hope other forums that want their art to grow, learn what I learned with both feet planted firmly on the ground. LOL.

Ok back to creating art in EIAS.

tbenesch
02-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Hello Alonzo,

I am also looking forward to your creative and inventiveness by trying to limit the tools you use for this project to those within/available to EI. There are a lot of plugs/shaders and some cool things can definitely be created using them. I like your stance on trying to learn to use these vast tools during this project. That is the best way to learn them. Blobmaker is a great tool. I used it back when it was under the Endless Corporation umbrella, for smoothing out low polygon organic models.

Troy

AVTPro
02-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Speaking of not being too over assured before getting to the top of the scaffolding, I'm doing some more planning sketches first.

Here's a few Drawing 101 studies of birds from a book I did last nite, "Draw 50 Animals, by Lee J. Ames.
Thought it would help me to understand the forms before I start pulling out polys, vertices and edges.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/birdstudy.jpg

richardjoly
02-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Excellent developpement Alonzo. I didn't quite understand when you said modeled within Animator. I was thinking spheres and cones... This is quite an undertaking.
I spent an hour reading your first posts :p doing the follow up will be easier...
Keep at it Alonzo! I am impressed.

AVTPro
02-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Before I move any further with this model, I'm going to take a look at "how or if" I can produce feathers.

So far, I have just been "winging It" ...da dum.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/wingingit.jpg

AVTPro
02-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Just thinking, I don't have "Invigorator for EIAS" on OSX. With it, modeling only in EIAS would not be a big deal at all.

tjs61822
02-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Heh Alonzo. You can create individual feathers with FiberForge. :thumbsup: I was pleasantly suprised by the speed of the plugin. I agree with you on using the plugins available for eias. I'm trying to use whatever possible, but I'll probably break down and use Silo for modeling the hand in my image.

Tim

AVTPro
02-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Heh Alonzo. You can create individual feathers with FiberForge. :thumbsup: I was pleasantly suprised by the speed of the plugin. I agree with you on using the plugins available for eias. I'm trying to use whatever possible, but I'll probably break down and use Silo for modeling the hand in my image.

Tim

That's an amazing feather Tim. Thanks for you input. I didn't know Mforge could do that. Very interesting indeed.

I hadn't thought about going that detailed but maybe because I didn't know the options existed. It's good to know.

Two strikes tho, first, I'm on a G4 Dual 500 mhz. I think it's officially 7 years old now.
I'm already fearful of what's going to happen with the Plugins I do have.
I have avoided for years and with good reason.

Two, I am limited by budget. So I can only use the plugins I currently own.

One last thing, this is going to be more of an artistic impression. I am going to keep it loose if possible. It's fabulous detail but I may not need that much. I am going for boarder strokes across the entire bird.

If I'm lucky I would like to hint at feathers instead of being real feathers.

If I'm lucky it will just look like feathers. but really polygonal impersonators.

I'll start reading the Placer Deposit manual tomorrow.

FelixCat
03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi, Alonzo. Good luck with your task. Very intriging idea, at first seems limiting but, sometimes the limits push the limits.
BTW. I come here every day, and just now discovered this thread... i must change the glasses :scream:

FelixCat

AVTPro
03-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Guys.

Just an update. I'm still here just stuck in manuals and pdf land. I got upgrades but haven't touch it in so long I have to teach myself over again.

richardjoly
03-16-2006, 02:49 AM
Still here Alonzo? It's not like you to be quiet like that.
Hope you'r not having any problem.

AVTPro
03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Still here Alonzo? It's not like you to be quiet like that.
Hope you'r not having any problem.

OHH YEAH! I'm back on the block today! whew Man

Had a project that just jumped in the middle of the road. Had to rig a hand, morph it into a monster hand then make it filp a coin. It was a PITA, because there seems to be a problem with wmps fall off tearing geometry on skin. Igor's Encaged help it a great deal but it quadripled the time was suppose to take doing it. I rigged it in EI, then Maya, then I fould my geometry was rez'd too high, then I did over, ...ACK.

It was a very small low budget job for a Local Access Producer that just turned into a monster. What a load off that I'm done with it today. He loved it of course...for the money especially. The nice thing is I resolved a long time problem I was having with Renderama. Two cameras are running on both processes again my G4 Dual 500mhz.. I think that that a very cool thing about running Renderama in OSX and helps my render time. That's another long time load off.

Now, I'm have to hammer on this project. Never EASY Right?

There so many new plugs on this I have still have yet to learn and they are very processor intensive! AAAAHHHH! I never got to read all the Placer Deposit stuff. So I am going to do that, but I will skip back over to Mr. Revolver and do the beak. There so many new plugs on this I have still have yet to learn.

Hurry Hurry Hercleus! :)

tbenesch
03-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Glad you got that project done. I just had three quick turnaround projects due recently too. So, I hadn't had a chance to work much on my Phoenix project until Tuesday. Well, one more week left......aaaahhhhhhh..... :eek:

I also have several plug-ins that I want to use, but not sure if I'll learn them in time. I like where you're going with your project so keep up the good work!

Troy

AVTPro
03-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Glad you got that project done. I just had three quick turnaround projects due recently too. So, I hadn't had a chance to work much on my Phoenix project until Tuesday. Well, one more week left......aaaahhhhhhh..... :eek:

I also have several plug-ins that I want to use, but not sure if I'll learn them in time. I like where you're going with your project so keep up the good work!

Troy

Thanks Trour.

You hit a good point, maybe I should really evaluate what I really can get to and what I can't.

Iti's really good that I put in a great deal of time from the start. I saw that new slash cuts, the carnage looks pretty bad. Yes, time to lock and load, rock and roll!

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Well...If you hadn't guess it from my silence.

I would say I am definitely in Heap Hot Water concerning finishing the contest.

I have had the most thwarting couple of weeks that totally derailed my attention away from the contest. It's unbelievable.

I won't go into it because it would be another waste of time to describe a series of well orchestrated of unfortunate events that dounced my time as well as my zeal.

I do apologize I should have just withdrew and just quit ...only thing...I don't know HOW!

I believe in finishing what I start and it's not over until I give up. Soo...It's not over.

I loved the project and EIAS effort so what I am going to do is post all I can while I can.

Now that I'm back on earth.

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 03:20 AM
So finally got to the ship. This was a simple form use with Encage and a hand painted texture map I did in photoshop.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Picture29.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Seeing the ship I realized the idea or concept is really what I wanted. It works. I wanted to do a bunch of effects but, one I had to learn software I never used, two I don't have any time. So I didn't fuss with the texture mapping, and got the UV on the body instead of any effects. UV can be tedious but I just ran it through best I can.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Picture27.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Once I have the UV's I am bringing it into Zbrush to paint a texture interactively. This is good technique, and can help a lot so I will do all I can here. While I'm painting in ZBrush, I zapp it to Photoshop...ZBrush an Photoshop become one app. Maybe I can add more texture with PSD brushes. However, the model is a little wanky from exporting from EIAS to Maya. It's not what I call a real model, just plug in geometry...maybe I can patch the flaws with some effect? We will see. :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Picture22.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 03:35 AM
His body looks like a match. That's ok. Goes with the theme. Fire hmmm...I will go in a more artsy directions. But it's a lot of fun working with Zapplink.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Picture26.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 04:40 AM
Big difference between giving up and giving in!

So I gave in and decided at this point to finish by any means necessary went ahead and used geometry that was modeled outside of EI.

So I painted feather tail in Maya and exported to EI via FBX. It's just to add flavor and flare.

Also, if I didn't mention I use FBX to transfer the UVs.

BTW it was meant to be ethereal, I'm just going less detailed and more interpetive or artsy. I like artsy too. Would be easy if EI had more post shaders. The toon shader is great but not what I am thinking. OK...not much time left. I have to call it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Giving.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 05:16 AM
that's the spirit! The Holy Spirit!! :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/FireFeather_8.jpg

yhloon
03-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Alonzo!! It seems unfinish!!!:eek:

you must be very busy recently...with mr. revolver:applause:

but anyway thanks for sharing, i hope i can get myself a copy of Zbrush...

regards,
Loon

bronco
03-23-2006, 06:45 AM
too bad you didn't have the time to finish, but i hope you keep up the good work and go on. this is a nice and very interesting project and i am very curious where this will head to.
go alonzo!

tbenesch
03-23-2006, 06:49 AM
I feel your pain, it was touch and go for me too. Absolutely no time to take it where I really wanted to go with it. Oh, well, there's always next time. I like what you did with your bird, very ethereal. Hope to see your participation and work on the next contest.

Troy

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Ok. So...Maybe it's 2:57 am Estern ....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Final.jpg

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 07:00 AM
It's one minute to 3. Did I make it?

Vizfizz
03-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Time Stamp: 11:59 pm. You made it.

yhloon
03-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Alonzo! congratulation!:beer:

you made it in last minutes.:scream:

Loon

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 07:12 AM
I enjoyed this project a great deal regardless of all the obstacles that came in the way. I'm very happy I did finish and I like it...alot. Actually I can see no if I had more time, I probably wouldn't have finished...I was definitely going in the wrong direction. Nice thing about meeting impossible deadlines is you make very creative decisions. I'm very pleased with the decisions I made :)

I think I forgot to write down all the plugins.

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Alonzo!! It seems unfinish!!!:eek:

you must be very busy recently...with mr. revolver:applause:

but anyway thanks for sharing, i hope i can get myself a copy of Zbrush...

regards,
Loon

Yes ZBrush is Hot! This is just one way if fit into the workflow.

BTW, It wasn't so much Mr Revolver. The general beta testing I do for EIAS is much more involved.

Everytime I got ready to work on the project someone needed me. haha. Nobody ever needs me.
My sister was had knee surgery and I had to watch her.
Then my other sister came in from out of town and I had to watch my nephews.
My niece got kicked out of school and I had watch over her.
Then a filling front tooth fell out. ...it's still not fix.
And a project came up that took 3 times longer than it should. Not to mention, the beta testing other beta. Even tonite, my good friend called me and told me his mom passed :( But she had a stroke after she after church while laughing herself to tears.

I guess I have nothing to complain about...she died happy...( I never met her)

Still...I really like what I did. I think I alway like my own work tho" LOL

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Alonzo! congratulation!:beer:

you made it in last minutes.:scream:

Loon

UNBELIEVaBLE! I really am a winner...even if I lose. haha.

halfworld
03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Talk about timing, well done Alonzo, great stuff!

I hope that thing doesn't come to roost in my roof...
Ian

odwalla
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
What a experimental work you did.:eek: It`s a fun!

richardjoly
03-23-2006, 01:47 PM
You made it! Why is it always when we put a little time aside for ourself that everybody suddently needs it...? Nice work!

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
You made it! Why is it always when we put a little time aside for ourself that everybody suddently needs it...? Nice work!

UN-BE-LEIV-ABLE! Just when I need something then everbody needs me. It's never a straight line. I put on SEAL "Bring it on! and play it until I was done. "It's only life" is the line that keep me from being flustered.

Yes, I should have said to hell with everyone, but isn't only about me. I probably should have. Once I was derailed it was very hard getting on track because I didn't have much energy. (my tooth put a hole in my smile)

Nevertheless, I was very pleased that I was able to bring a part of the original painting to life. I lost the painting so for better or for worst it has been resurrected. That is why I am so happy. I always thought it was to complex of an idea to do. Having no time made push to the end. I don't know If it would be better if I had more time. Everything I did was new to me..BlobbyMaker...etc.

I don't think I have ever been in a contest, maybe once many many years ago. It really has changed my outlook to my work. It's amazing to see everybody else's work and to feel part of something. Also the friendly competition is a very good feeling with lots of motivation.
I am very proud of EIAS and it's users. WE ROCK!!

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 04:40 PM
What a experimental work you did.:eek: It`s a fun!

Thanks Odwalla! Yes, I never use Zapplink, or any of this stuff in this way. Yes this is very experimental and unrehearsed. I only recently learned how to UV map and am still learning texture painting. I just got Zapplink to work two days ago.

This is such an awesome FORUM for EIAS. We should have a thread here and on the EI site that everybody can register their URL!

I hope we can use it more to teach each other how we work. It so many things to learn. The users have so much command over many plugins. I didn't know so many people were using Silo or Modo.

I didn't use a modeler which I think helped me to see EI in a new way. I feel like all my project that are on the backburner can be accomplish with what I have, no matter what.

I want to work much harder at doing one complete idea now, instead of ten .

AVTPro
03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Talk about timing, well done Alonzo, great stuff!

I hope that thing doesn't come to roost in my roof...
Ian

Yes, the concept scare me too. LOL.

But now that it's done...Bring it!

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.