PDA

View Full Version : portrait W.I.P. (nudity)

anzibon
02-22-2006, 09:38 AM
what i have here is sort of an underpainting, but i don't think i'm getting enough of the underlying color into the skin. i want to get that really translucent glow to the skin once i glaze it.

working in painter, haven't used it much.
working loosely from a photograph.
any crits or suggestions gladly accepted.

thanks,
~B

SylvanMist
02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Right now the skin looks kinda hairy with that style of brush strokes, I would smooth it out, since skin is naturally smooth.

anzibon
02-23-2006, 01:45 AM
yeah, that's cause the method that i'm using is trying to get form and color into an underpainting. i'm not so concerned with texture yet. the next step will be to glaze. which is painting over using translucent (semi-transparent) paints with a more literal skintone. that's when the detail and softening somes in. this method of underpainting and glazing is what many oil painters, such as Rembrandt, would use. i've just never successfully employed it myself. i think that has to do with not getting the right colors in my underpainting.

thanks for the post,
~B

anzibon
02-27-2006, 03:35 AM
i really want to try to get the color under the skin right.
anyone have any examples or advice on how to approach this?

thanks,
~B

anzibon
03-28-2006, 05:32 AM
here's an update on the glazing. i've worked over the bg and the skin a bit. i still can't get that translucient value to the skin. i'm having trouble visualizing what the colors would be under the skin that would show through the glaze.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
~B

offbeatworlds
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I really think that the only thing I can say is wrong with your skintones is you need a slightly darker and more saturated color for shadows in certain areas, such as the neck, and you should also try to work in some slightly cooler colors in places where the light hits.

anzibon
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
yeah. i haven't really added much in the way of highlight and shadow. i do add it and then when i glaze over it gets covered up. the hard part is trying to get the colors that are under the skin. when i add blues and pinks under the skin it comes out looking sort of cadaverish.

:(

thanks, i'll try cooling down the highlights.
~B

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.