PDA

View Full Version : Myst type rendering

arquebus
02-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Im wondering if anyone can tell me about how the game Myst was rendered? I found in wikipedia they used a program called stratavision. But I dont understand what kind of format is used that allows the camera to be rotated, it the background rendered in some kind of dome shape?

GreyWolf_OPS
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
From what I seem to recall, I for Myst 3 I believe they used mentalRay. Not sure which program they used to model, but not sure it really matters since its all going to mentalRay. Could be wrong on this one since I am goin on memory on this one.

ngrava
02-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Yeah, it was Sratavision. It's old Mac only program that had some pretty advanced features but then just sort of died off at some point. A lot of Mac only 3D programs did that in the mid 90's. Anyway, What they did was rotate the camera in place and render the scene, then rotate it again and render that and rotate and render again and so on. Then they would move ahead a bit and do the same thing. Then, the program, when you clicked to move to the next point on the path it simply loaded up the right image. When you clicked to turn your view, the program would note the direction you choose and load the appropriate image. It's a very simple but effective way of doing a game like that. When they made the sequel to Myst "Riven", they switched to Softimage and Metal Ray. I think the whole slow paced exploration type of game worked best in that format because you have more time to look around at the image. They used that same model for most of their games until recently when they went full real-time 3D. By the way, if you look on the myst CD there is a Making of Myst movie that you can watch.

cpnichols
02-23-2006, 09:30 PM
The latest version of Myst is actually done with Vray... but I think he is asking about the spherical camera... am I right? With most raytracers, you can render spherical cameras out of the box. No need to do the 6 sides of the cube renders.

arquebus
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
The latest version of Myst is actually done with Vray... but I think he is asking about the spherical camera... am I right? With most raytracers, you can render spherical cameras out of the box. No need to do the 6 sides of the cube renders.
Thanks for the info. My friend wants to do this project with a program called Anark which is supposed to do online interactive look arounds of high detailed 3D renderings. But if it is possible to do this in vray or mentalray, I think that would be better.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.