PDA

View Full Version : Problems importing obj's from zbrush into max for morph targets

Syn
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Everyone. Ive been having problems taking my morph targets that i morph in Zbrush and exporting back out to Max.

I modelled the head in Max cloned copied the head into an editable poly. Esported it out as an obj. quads 6 digits etc etc. Import it into zbrush and morph it. Fine then export it out as an obj. Import it into max. it comes into max fine except its rotated 180 degrees on the y axis in the front view.

I convert it from an editable mesh to edit poly and add it to the morph target list then when i morph it it turns inside out and shrinks and stretches and rotates along its y axis. Ive tried many different ways to import it and it always does this

HELP

eblondin
02-22-2006, 01:57 AM
more likely than not your import/export settings out of zbrush and max are not correct for your .obj

also fix how your model is imported into zbrush under the preferences importexport

I set mine to flip on x and z on both import and export. I have seen other people do it other ways, but it has worked for me on every mesh I have tried for max and maya.

That way it will import and export rotated correctly.

Syn
02-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks Eric. I appreciate the input

But i think the problem lies in Max's obj exporter in Max 8. I actually tried exporting the head out of max and then reimporting it into Max without taking it into zbrush and using it as a morph target and it did the same thing. I tried a DXF and it did the same thing except not turning the polygons inside out.

I talked to a buddy of mine on the Autodesk beta testers and he is very suspect of the obj exporter. I also tried it in Max 7 and it worked fine except it would move its pivot. but it morphed fine. So I think it might be a bug in Max 8's exporter

Anyone else having these problems with the Max 8 exporter chime in and we can let autodesk know.

plus when is zbrush going to support 3ds export formats

eblondin
02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
its your settings, trust me, unless your mesh is messed up really bad, I have exported and imported objs from max to zbrush and used them as morph targets in max 8, hundred of times

mess with your settings on max8 .obj export.

make sure # of Digits is set to something like 6

make sure compress numbers and relative vertex numbers are turned off.

Syn
02-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks

I guess it is a mesh problem,

i just did what you said with a max sphere. took it into zbrush reexported it and brought it into max and it worked fine. but i tried it again with the head and it still does it. Is there anything i can do to the mesh to salvage it. It works perfectly in max when i do morph targets in max. I made sure all the verts are all welded everything is fine. Could it be that i originally modelled it in max 6.

MechaHateChimp
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
You might want to peep this tut out. The workflow is from Poser to ZBrush and back but it explains how to import export out of zbrush for morph targeting:

http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/general/tutorials/posertutorial/morphtargets.htm

Kenzor
03-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I've just spent 2 hours trying to fix a very simple (160 poly model) for export into z-brush from MAX8. Nothing I or anyone else i asked does seems to work ( the polys are always flipped). I've made lots of models in zbrush by exporting from MAX7 and never had a problem I couldn't fix...

It does look like the MAX8 exporter my be broken in some way.

eblondin
03-23-2006, 06:08 PM
you could try reset xform in max

Kenzor
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
you could try reset xform in max

Dude I've reset the X-form, I've flipped it mirrored it, exported it as 3ds file, and re-imported it, then exported as an obj file to z-brush,

the DFX version of the model isn't flipped when you import it into z-brush (although all the quad polygon are trashed)...... but if you load the DFX file into max and then exported it is flipped.

as a last ditch i imported the obj file into maya the re-exported it to z-brush and it's still broken.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Syn
03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear your having a problem Ken, but i'm glad to see i'm not the only one. Its very frustrating.

I downloaded the zbrush PDF on how to prep models and export out of max manual. It might help you. I haven't had a chance to try it since i have had to resort to doing morph targets the old fashioned way.

I did try it out of 7 and it did work though.

eblondin
03-23-2006, 08:41 PM
i would be happy to take a look at it if you want to send me the .obj

Syn
03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Eric thats very nice of you

Where can i send it.

eblondin
03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
ericblondin@hotmail.com or ftp it and link me

Syn
03-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Just sent it

thanks again Eric

eblondin
03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm didnt seem to get it, not in my junk mail even,

I wouldnt mind taking a look at yours either Ken T

Syn
03-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Hotmail can be slow at times. Maybe give it an hour or so

Kenzor
03-23-2006, 10:59 PM
hmm didnt seem to get it, not in my junk mail even,

I wouldnt mind taking a look at yours either Ken T

Thanks for the offer I'll send you the file when I get to work tomorrow.:)

eblondin
03-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Syn, finally got it, the file seems fine to me, so I am guessing something is wrong with your import/export settings in max.

I opened it in max and in maya and it was fine in both, I opened it in zbrush and it was fine as well, I made tweaks to it in zbrush and exported to max and it was still fine in max. so I donno what to tell you. make sure your settings are correct for import/export out of max

Syn
03-28-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks Eric i appreciate you taking the time.

My obj export setting are rotate model, quads, text coordinates-normals-smooth groups, checked vertex scale 1.0.
file-# of digits 6.

thats what i was told to set it at. is that correct??

i dont know if the import settings have to be set a certain way though either

eblondin
03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
sounds good, make sure you have unify normals turned off upon import into max

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.