PDA

View Full Version : split polygon

jademcquade
02-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey guys i have a flat disc shape that I would like to split down the middle to create two half disc polygons but i dont know how to do this, what short cut or whatever to use.

please help.

using Lightwave 8

zuzzabuzz
02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Check out the Knife tool.

jademcquade
02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
thanx buzz that worked nicely

PentamiterBeast
02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Ha ha ha. Split poly, one of the most useful tools available in almost every 3d package going.

Ummm... Where's ours, though?

Quite an oversight innit, lol.

TrueArt Support
02-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi!

One of the most powerful polygon splitting tools is interactive EasySplit.. You could read more here http://easysplit.trueart.pl

Even NewTek employers have it!

You could see video tutorial how to model woman face with just *only* EasySplit and Drag Tool here:
http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/Movies/EasySplit_3.avi

Best Regards!

jorust
02-21-2006, 10:49 PM
1) Under the Detail tab you find Add Edges,

OR

2) Select the disc, go to Point mode and select the two point you want the split between. Then use Split, under the Multipy tab...

PentamiterBeast
02-21-2006, 11:34 PM
1) Under the Detail tab you find Add Edges,

LOL, I suck!!

jademcquade
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Now I am a little less dumb thanx to all of you.

KillMe
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
or grab teh supersplit lscript and just select the 2 points and run it - basically jsut does the same thing as the split poly tool but selected the poly for you itself saving you some time and hassle

CAClark
02-22-2006, 01:04 PM
All you need do is select the poly, switch to point mode, select the points where you want the split to run, and press Ctrl L

Cheers!

Ooops. yeah, like Polymess said, but Ctrl L is the default shortcut for it.

Joscci
02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
All you need do is select the poly, switch to point mode, select the points where you want the split to run, and press Ctrl L

Cheers!

Ooops. yeah, like Polymess said, but Ctrl L is the default shortcut for it.

Ahh, better yet... while in point mode, simply select two points (shared by the same polygon of course) and simply press [l] (Lower-case L). That uses the Bridge tool found under Construct > Combine: section to perform a split.

This is superior to using the standard split tool, because with the split tool you have to select the polygons in polygon mode first, and then the two points in question in point mode and then do a key combination. Using the bridge tool is much faster in terms of workflow.

Cheers. :)

Joscci
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
P.S. ... this only applies to LW 8 and above (to my knowledge).

ercax
02-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Ahh, better yet... while in point mode, simply select two points (shared by the same polygon of course) and simply press [l] (Lower-case L). That uses the Bridge tool found under Construct > Combine: section to perform a split.

This is superior to using the standard split tool, because with the split tool you have to select the polygons in polygon mode first, and then the two points in question in point mode and then do a key combination. Using the bridge tool is much faster in terms of workflow.

Cheers. :)
I didn't know that, I use as_split, thank you. One less plugin :)

Joscci
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I didn't know that, I use as_split, thank you. One less plugin :)

You're welcome. :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.