PDA

View Full Version : adding more vertual memory to my graphic card

seedo
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
hello:

i was in my motherbaord bios, and i saw that my vertual memory for my graphic card set to 64 MB, and i saw that i can choos to chang it to 128 MB, is it ok to do this?

note:
i have 1 GB of ram

thank u

ZephyrStar
02-21-2006, 07:30 PM
No. You need to look and make sure what kind of graphic card you have. This is a setting in the bios that basically tells your computer what to expect when looking for your graphics card. If you have a 64mb card, you set that setting to 64. If you have a 128mb card, you set that setting to 128mb. The only way you're going to get more ram for your card is to buy a new card.

I can suggest you try something if you're having performance issues, tweak the amount of virtual ram your machine uses (set it maybe twice the amount of physical memory you have, one gig you say, so you'd set it to around 2048mb) and if at all possible, allocate another drive for windows to use in addition to C:\ for prefetching (if you're running windows).

There are some guides on the net for doing this, so just google.

hope this was helpful!

Edit: if your computer configures actual virtual memory throug the bios, then go for it, but if the setting says "AGP Apeture" for example, then set it to the amount of physical ram.

Kaostick
02-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Is it virtual memory, or do you have an integrated video card that is using your physical memory as video memory also? If the latter is true, then I say give it a try.

seedo
02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
well my graphic card is 128 MB DDR3, nvidia gforce 6600 gt high defenition, with win fast and win fox and ledtech tecnology.

so do u say to go for it ?

Kaostick
02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Well, if you payed for a 128M card, but your only using 64M, then yeah, go for it. But I don't understand how your motherboard can controll how much ram your video card is using.

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 08:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.