View Full Version : Orkont character
12-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Just asking for crits on this - it's my first poly model (usually I work in NURBS). Maya 4.5, etc etc. Any tips for the hair? Any suggestions for further development? I'm all ears!
I'm also trying to see about getting him animated (face first, then work on a body for him for a short sequence).. oh and I need some advice on the wire; I seem to have some really badly disrupted geometry along the mouth seam that won't go away (no matter how many times I merge multiple edges and merge the edge vertices by hand).. it came when I attempted a geometry cleanup with nonmanifold geom selected.. foolish I know...
Anyway.. here are the pics.. enjoy and crit!
12-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Here is that seam problem marked out.. any ideas how I can repair this bugger? I'm using Maya 4.5 if anyone can help.
Once I've gotten the head done, I am going to set it up for animation, then model the body (also in polys), then suit him up and give him an awesome array of weaponry.. then comes a lovely little animation (I hope) with him an a dozen or so buddies... so watch this space!
The Time Serpent
12-12-2002, 03:10 PM
did u converted nurbs to poly? the seam problem is easily solved select all the vertices of that seam and do merge vetices
12-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I built the whole thing native in polys, using the "Dave Way" (outline in "Create Polys", subdivide by hand with "Split Polys", extend into 3 dimensions and split further by hand until ready to smooth).
I've tried using the "Merge Vertices" tool, but to no avail.. it looks like the seam is well and truly ruptured. I was hoping that there might be a workaround to rebuild the poly vertices or faces entirely (something akin to the "Rebuild Surfaces" tool in NURBS modelling).
What about the model itself? Any crits on the modelling/where to go from here/improvements?
12-13-2002, 07:41 PM
On a whim I hit "Backface culling on" and lo and behold, everythng above the seamline was inverted! Weird sideffect of the cleanup operation, I guess (nonmanifold geometry.. grrr...) So I painted up the faces, reversed normals and BANG! I could stitch the seams! So a little tip for anyone with similar problems... One or two little screwups to fix around the mouth still, but nothing too terrible.
I've started work on the body, so stay tuned for that one - pics coming on Monday.
The Time Serpent
12-13-2002, 08:35 PM
can u show the unsmoothed wire?
12-13-2002, 08:48 PM
If merging the verts doesn't work, select all of the polys in that bad section and delete. Select on of the the edges and exrude towards the other and fill in the hole.
12-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info!
Like said, I fixed the seam problem when i discovered that the upper half of the head was inside out! I fixed it by selecting the faces and revering normals, and then i was able to actually merge the seams.
The body is coming along - I'll post more images tomorrow when i get back to my system at work. I'll also post a hard-normals image for you, Time Serpent. Since it's all native polys, it won't look substantially different. The mesh isn't very dense - I managed to achieve pretty good results with soft normals, althogh the lips are perhaps a bit dense for animation purposes!
Cheers for the help again.. any crits on the model itself?
12-16-2002, 04:35 PM
OK, as promised, here is a shot of the Beast and his body - I'm going to make this piece by piece, combining and merging untilI get one piece of geometry for animation purposes.
Let me know what you think of the body!
12-16-2002, 11:24 PM
Any crits/tips/suggestions/comments? Anyone? Please? Surely it doesn't suck this badly!
12-17-2002, 02:28 AM
i like it.........only crit would be is that it is rather heavy on the polys, with as many as you got you could have some nice wrinkles going on...and maybe the skin protrude out a little where each stud stick out of his face
but i like it
12-17-2002, 06:56 AM
his ear lacks depth - look in a dog's ear - that's inspiration right there! Also, his ear has no hole! Give him a hole!
12-17-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi pigwater, slooper;
pigwater: You're right about the poly-heavy aspect. I guess it's a nasty side-effect of working with NURBS - you get greedy! I'll try and reduce the polycount with some judicious editing of edges.. that way I can get the wrinkles and creases in that I wanted. You're right, of course, the face should bulge slightly around each spine. I'll get on that before moving on to the body. I also want to fix the horn/skill attachment, so it looks more "natural".
Slooper, you're right about the ear, too.. AND it's VERY poly-heavy..:( I'll see what I can fix on those points before moving on to the body, then.. as time passes, I'm learning more about what polys are capable of, and I love them! I was smoothing the mesh before I was applying soft normals, so I think I oversmoothed a lot of it.
Thanks for the comments! Keep them coming!
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.