PDA

View Full Version : draw selection

neogeo51
02-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I am a long time combustion user. There is an operator/effect called draw selection to limit an effect to a part of the whole image with rectancles, polygones or magic wand.
Is there something similiar in AE? Photoshop also has the standard selection tools, so where are they in AE?
I tried duplicating my layer and used the track matte option to limit the effect in AE,
but that would be very annoying to have three layers just for limiting an effect to a part of the image.
Perhaps I am just missed the right function.
THX

Mylenium
02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I am a long time combustion user. There is an operator/effect called draw selection to limit an effect to a part of the whole image with rectancles, polygones or magic wand.
Is there something similiar in AE? Photoshop also has the standard selection tools, so where are they in AE?
I tried duplicating my layer and used the track matte option to limit the effect in AE,
but that would be very annoying to have three layers just for limiting an effect to a part of the image.
Perhaps I am just missed the right function.
THX

Masks? I'm really not sure what you mean, but that should do the trick.

Mylenium

neogeo51
02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I tried the mask, but I don't want to stencil my image. The area outside the mask should stay as it is.
Is there a function to use AE mask as a selection?
I am searching for a method like drawing a selection in Photoshop and apply a blur effect to that selection only.
Hope that makes things clearer.

Mylenium
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I tried the mask, but I don't want to stencil my image. The area outside the mask should stay as it is.
Is there a function to use AE mask as a selection?
I am searching for a method like drawing a selection in Photoshop and apply a blur effect to that selection only.
Hope that makes things clearer.

Nope. You need to duplicate the layer. This is one of the basic principles of AE and you better get used to it - unless an effect has its own "pixel selector" (such as some of Boris FX plugins have), you have to create a selction (= Alpha channel) first.

Mylenium

neogeo51
02-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mylenium
I am working with that duplicating method since a few weeks now. I just wanted to make sure that I don't miss a keyconcept of AE.
Cheers

Mylenium
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Mylenium
I am working with that duplicating method since a few weeks now. I just wanted to make sure that I don't miss a keyconcept of AE.
Cheers

Once you get used to it, it's actually very powerful, especially if you re-use those masks as mattes, reference the layers containing them in other effects or use pre-composing. I have to say that especially the latter is one thing I never could fully manage in combustion*. It's much quirkier there from my POV.

Mylenium

neogeo51
02-21-2006, 07:58 PM
First of all I don't want to start a Comb vs AE discussion. What do you mean by the "latter"?
Due to combustion is a layer based and partly node based, it is much easier to reuse the same matte in several composites without duplicating any layer.
A draw selection or pixelchooser effect would be a great addition to AE in my opinion.
The set matte effect is also quite handy, but does not work for me across different compositions.
I will adopt that workflow with precompose and masks.

BTW it is possible to reference a matte from a different composition without copy and paste the layer from there?
Or with copy and paste to link the duplictated matte layers across two compositions to tweak only one matte without copy and pasting again after changing the matte?

Mylenium
02-22-2006, 05:25 AM
First of all I don't want to start a Comb vs AE discussion. What do you mean by the "latter"?
Due to combustion is a layer based and partly node based, it is much easier to reuse the same matte in several composites without duplicating any layer.

Not really. I found myself un-nesting comps all the time just to fix things that didn't work as I wanted them to. It's much more difficult to move stuff from A to B. But then again, except for some short stint during an internship with v1 and testing the demo from time to time, I don't use combustion*. So it's quite possible this is all just a problem on the user end. ;o)

BTW it is possible to reference a matte from a different composition without copy and paste the layer from there?
Or with copy and paste to link the duplictated matte layers across two compositions to tweak only one matte without copy and pasting again after changing the matte?

That's what pre-composing is for. In the example you describe the matte should be a separate comp used in all the other compositions. If you want to use a matte layer inside a comp several times without duplicating it, you can always use the Set Matte effect instead of the built-in matte modes.

Mylenium

neogeo51
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes you are right Mylenium. I will use both apps in future times to get the best of each software.
In my opinion they should sell AE as Motion Graphics software and Combustion for classic compositing and vfx work. My experience is that it is more difficult for a long time AE user to get into Combustion than the other way around. With AE 7 new interface it will gain some more users from other software packages I think. AE is like a swiss army knife for me and when it comes to complex vfx work I will stick to Combustion.
Have a nice day.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.