PDA

View Full Version : fprime transparency layering

adrencg
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I've emailed Steve W about this also, but maybe someone in here knows of this problem with Fprime...

I have many layers of transparency mapped hair strips, which are allowing the background to be seen through the ends. Basically, on certain strands, you can see the actual polygon shape and not the wispy hair texture. The hair is against skin, and it makes a hole through the skin all the way through to the background.

I've found that turning up the ray recursion helps fix the problem some, but it doesn't go high enough to eliminate the problem. I'd love to avoid redering hair in a separate pass...any thoughts on what can be done inside Lightwave to stop this? I'm rendering fully in fprime....no f9 rendering involved. I'm using area lights and radiosity. And yes, it still does this weirdness, no matter what lighting I use.

Take a look at the gif attached....thanks in advance

Mike

NanoGator
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I've bumped into this as well. I've noticed that upping the number of ray recursion in the render panel has made a difference, but that number only goes so high.

Ugh that's a frustrating problem. Layout and LW's renderer doesn't handle it well, either.

adrencg
02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I've bumped into this as well. I've noticed that upping the number of ray recursion in the render panel has made a difference, but that number only goes so high.

Ugh that's a frustrating problem. Layout and LW's renderer doesn't handle it well, either.

Layout render works fine....it's just that it takes about 100 times longer than fprime. That's no exxagerration.

It's like the recursion number will just not go high enough to allow the layers to render. I read a thread about manifold polys, but it doesn't seem to be my issue. I can't find any non-unified polys or poly's that share edges. My hair polys are strips, with the center row of points pulled away slightly, so it kind of a half tube thingy.

Mike

habaņero
02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Could you share a file with (just) the problem? It'd be interesting to have a jab at this, but I haven't seen it before.

ub52
02-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Instead of transparency mapping have you tried applying the image as a clipmap instead?

-ub52

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 03:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.