PDA

View Full Version : Mentalray and uvs question

Sully
02-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi One of my friends has recently bought the new Mentalray handbbok and i was flicking through it and i stumbled on a section about UVs...My question is...Is it benificial to unwrap a polygon mesh? Does it affect the final rendered result in terms of how light effects the surface...I thought Mentalray would only be concerned with the normals and surface info but from what ive read in the book the uvs play a very inportant part at render time..

GreyWolf_OPS
02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi One of my friends has recently bought the new Mentalray handbbok and i was flicking through it and i stumbled on a section about UVs...My question is...Is it benificial to unwrap a polygon mesh? Does it affect the final rendered result in terms of how light effects the surface...I thought Mentalray would only be concerned with the normals and surface info but from what ive read in the book the uvs play a very inportant part at render time..

I have seemed to nice this as well, especially when importing meshes from 3dsmax into maya that have been triangulated. I have noticed that GI and FG respond differently and I have to say that I have really only noticed it in the past few months. Since I am going through all my old models and importing them into Maya. But I got wrapped up in other projects and well never really looked in depth to the issue.

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.