PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting Imported Maya renders for Upper field Output

giddyup
02-21-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi,

I need to make my 10 second 360 degree loop animation work for PAL broadcast.

In Maya I adjust fps to 50fps, which puts the total frames to 500 and makes it 20 seconds.

I bring it into AE in a composition thats 25fps and correct aspect ratio, I then interpret it, set it to upper fields 25fps then drag it into timeline.

Problem: It still thinks its 20 seconds, it should be 10s, I tried scaling it down to 10s, but it doesnt loop properly now.

I guess I just want to know the correct steps from importing an animation at 50fps, so I can just render it out in AE with upper fields and it will work for broadcast.

Note: In the 3d program after changing it to 50fps and thereby making the animation 500 frames, I noticed the last 250 frames had no motion, so I cut and pasted the keyframe from 250 to 500 so it rotated a full 360 degrees from frame 0-500.
Was that a stupid thing to do?

Mylenium
02-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi,

I need to make my 10 second 360 degree loop animation work for PAL broadcast.

In Maya I adjust fps to 50fps, which puts the total frames to 500 and makes it 20 seconds.

I bring it into AE in a composition thats 25fps and correct aspect ratio, I then interpret it, set it to upper fields 25fps then drag it into timeline.

Problem: It still thinks its 20 seconds, it should be 10s, I tried scaling it down to 10s, but it doesnt loop properly now.

I guess I just want to know the correct steps from importing an animation at 50fps, so I can just render it out in AE with upper fields and it will work for broadcast.

Note: In the 3d program after changing it to 50fps and thereby making the animation 500 frames, I noticed the last 250 frames had no motion, so I cut and pasted the keyframe from 250 to 500 so it rotated a full 360 degrees from frame 0-500.
Was that a stupid thing to do?

Why do you interpret your footage as being 25 fps when it's really 50 fps? That's the only thing you need to correct and AE will do the rest automatically.

Mylenium

giddyup
02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the reply,
so I import the rendered frames that were rendered at 50fps, I interperet it at 50fps not 25 and then just scale it from 20 seconds to 10 seconds in the timeline, then render it out at 25 upper fields?

Mylenium
02-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the reply,
so I import the rendered frames that were rendered at 50fps, I interperet it at 50fps not 25 and then just scale it from 20 seconds to 10 seconds in the timeline, then render it out at 25 upper fields?

You don't time stretch it at all. You just put it in your comp and if interpreted properly, it will only be 10 seconds long. AE works with "time" internally, not frames. The render buffer is always sampled at what is currently visible at the time point.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 06:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.