PDA

View Full Version : Eye articulation theory

TennerJones
12-12-2002, 08:19 AM
Hi,

Just updated my page on articulation. Small, but could be very helpfull setting up the deformation on the eye lid. Based on breaking up the eye lid into upper and lower. Three parts for each. Upper Right, Center and Left. Same for the lower lid. Just part of the theory I am working on. Used by so many in the industry.

www.hippydrome.com/ArtTheoryLEyeLid.htm

Main page.
www.hippydrome.com

Enjoy,

HippyDrome

AWAKE
12-13-2002, 04:57 PM
not much content yet... I'll stay tuned.

Stahlberg
12-18-2002, 02:34 AM
Interesting, never saw this before.
I've found Blendshapes to be very good for this. Yes I know the usual objection about the curved path of the lid in profile, but in practise it's no biggie. And where Blendshapes really shine is in the ability to fine-tune the shape of the closed lid in the front view, to exactly the way you want it.

AAbel
12-18-2002, 04:38 AM
I've been playing around with this curve controlling an eye lid idea a bit. And I LOVE IT! I've never been a huge fan of blendshapes and by using a curve to deform the surface i can go without them. Also I can still use blendshapes, most notably on the curve. Much easier to make blenshapes for a 9 cv curve than a whole eyelid. Takes less resources too. Thanks for the tip Hippedrome.

TennerJones
12-18-2002, 06:51 AM
Thanks, glad you liked it.

I used to use blend shapes but now I just use translates fired before rotations and points constrained to curves. Blend shapes are still a good combo for me in situation like if "A" = 100 and "B" = 100 then fire "C" where C is a blend shape. This seem to do the right thing for the time spent. Some times you can save so much frik'en plumbing using a simple blend shape. I guess if you can take advantage of any thing to get the job done on time is a good thing.

I hope to get a bunch of pages done this weekend on my web site. I will be getting into design for articulation and try to cover a bunch of the curves that I use to deform the face and body. What is fun about this stuff is you can do it with any package that allows you to directly control your points and if that is not possible you can just do it all with blend shapes. It all comes down to logical point placement in your starting mesh. The neat thing is most of the time you are flying by the seat of your pants.........

Cheers,

HippyDrome

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.