PDA

View Full Version : C&C Animation Test

Transform Gizmo
12-12-2002, 06:14 AM
I recently decided to stop just making little rigs and start actually animating them a little because its more fun. though ive been dealing with characters for a while, i havent really got my hands real dirty in character animation yet. so here is the beginning of a little test animation. (i realize that the last half of the animation has some serious flaws)
as i was saying, i see a lot of really good stuff around here, and i would like to be capable of that quality of work. So please don't hold back, any error you see, consider it grounds for ripping this short animation clip to shreds, in a constructive manner of course.
im trying to get good at animation one step at a time, so mainly in this clip im concerned with the timing right now. also, how well you think i have depicted weight with the character.

only the bones are visible so the animation can be seen easily.
anyway, here it is in quicktime(650k)

jump test (http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/operationvacuumclean/jump_test2.mov)

Rogue
12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
He needs to show some more weight. It's a little floaty when he jumps and looks a little linear.

Try this....speed the whole jump up a little bit. Make it a bit faster. Also make sure that his y motion eases in and out at the top of his jump. Gravity accelerates an object downward. So an object will decelerate on it's way, come to stop at it's highest point (only for an instance), then acceralate back down. The curve should look sort of like a bell, where the top of the bell is the objects highest point.

Also, you've got the right idea with pushing off from one leg, but I think it needs to be exagerated. He's almost got an effortless jump now. Make his waist go down a little more before he jumps. Keep his leg on the platform longer...really get a good push with that foot. When he lands, have the one leg that touches first reach for the platform. That leg should be nearly straight when it touches the platform. Then have his legs bend and absorb the weight of the fall.

Just some pointers to try out. Play with the timings and things, make adjustments. Make lots of previews to get an idea on timing changes an such.

Post an update.

Transform Gizmo
12-13-2002, 06:57 AM
thanks for the reply rogue.
i didnt get as much time is i wanted to work on it tonight so i am going to wait till tomorrow when i can hopefully get some time to work on it before i post an update. i took out the whole second jump because i decided to change the animation, and i wasnt very pleased with the second jump. would have probably started over on that part anyway.
i made most of the changes that you suggested, and its starting to look better. you were very right about him seeming to float too much, i hadnt edited any of the function curves yet so he did have a very odd jump.
So once again, thanks for the tips, and hopefully i can do some more tweaking tomorrow so i can post an update.

Transform Gizmo
12-14-2002, 07:01 AM
i got some time to work on it tonight. still needs refinement, but heres an update.

jump - update (http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/operationvacuumclean/jump2.mov)

Transform Gizmo
12-18-2002, 04:40 AM
hmm, sure there are plenty of bad parts of this animation that some one can comment on...
anyone?

danyrey
12-18-2002, 07:11 AM
Disclaimer: i not an expert, but some things i have noticed:

During the anticipation phase, at the point where he starts the upward movement he should lean forward. Where else should he get the forward movement when jumping with both feet.

During the anticipation phase the hands/arms should help to get that forward momentum. When you knee down you normaly lift your arms to balance the weight shift and visa versa.

Try that jump yourself and observe.

The landing looks good to me.

DarkSun
12-18-2002, 08:50 AM
The part, when he is on air must be faster. And when he landed, his root should go down and up and the other parts of his body could react to his. It could be better...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.