PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Diamonds

Igors
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
We've no diamonds but we guess they should look like the attached images :)

richardjoly
02-20-2006, 04:01 PM
"I aint got none either" but I think those are beautifull!

halfworld
02-20-2006, 05:10 PM
"I aint got none either"

Mocking my capital city are we? ;) hehehe

Very, very nice Igors... I wonder what inspired this shader....
Ian

Reuben5150
02-20-2006, 10:36 PM
my girlfriend has some :)

Does it work with caustics ?

Reuben

Igors
02-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Gentlemen, thx for good words, but these diamonds (unlike CD's) are only a "programmer's trick", real diamonds/jewels has nothing in common with diffraction, their color transitions are caused by other effects. In other words, we must to notify you: these diamonds are artificial :)

>> Does it work with caustics ? <<

If you ask: "Can they cast a rainbowed shadow?" then the answer is "no", it needs a serious physical model (+ significant time for calculation)

The "trick" is: just create random (but successive) highlights and let RT recursive labyrinth mixes it by using its refraction/reflection rules (RT does this automatically). As a result we see a lot of colors transitions that are well in animation. After all, CG goal is not to follow by physics only :)

halfworld
02-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Thats cool, so internal chromatic aberrations then...

You can fake the external ones (rainbow shadows) so this will come in handy to complete the effect!
Ian

Igors
02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi, Ian

Thats cool, so internal chromatic aberrations then...

You can fake the external ones (rainbow shadows) so this will come in handy to complete the effect!
Ian

Such features would slow down RT/caustics render speed in several times (each wave of light spectrum requires a separate calculation). Plus user has almost zero "degree of freedom" to control these very capricious effects.

Of course, "chromatic aberrations" sounds very cool, but, IMHO, AE is muuch faster and more effective ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.