PDA

View Full Version : mental ray wont recognize EXR anymore!

AmirHooman
02-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I bleave that i vas using openEXR format till last night but now the same exr files wont be recognized by mental ray
this is the error message
Error: (mental ray) : C:/SF.exr: unrecognized file format, not an image file

anyone had this prob befor or any solution?

AmirHooman
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
helloooooooooo,ellooooooo,looooooo,looo,ooo
anebody there?!

floze
02-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Did you mess up your rayrc? The mi_openexr.dll should be linked there..

AmirHooman
02-21-2006, 09:23 PM
i've checked that,nothing's wrong
any othere idea?

Matt Grdinic
02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Sounds like a file error--did you try to open the image in Photoshop? That sounds obvious, but who knows.

If you need to get a job done, mentalRay also reads, among others, 32bit TIFF's and .hdr's. From Photoshop you can convert the exr to both of those formats.

You could also try to use imf_copy.

open a terminal/cmd line and navigate to the directory with the image and >
imf_copy [options] <sourceImage> <outImage> [imageType]

as in: imf_copy -L source.exr newHDR.map map

.map is a slightly larger but more optimized file format.
-L is for little-endian, if you're on x86.

You could also use regular Maya .iff. Both formats, .map and .iff, will be 32-bit if your source is, and both work within the Maya GUI for texture info, height-field display, etc. I don't think .exr's even show up in the GUI (but still render), so this should help that.

AmirHooman
02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
matt it opens fine in photoshop.i'm using hdr images now and the reson for using EXR was just for more optimization,as iread somewhere (ILM's EXR format provides slightly more dynamic range stored in even a smaller disk space, making it the best format currently available for such purposes.) anyway i haven't tried reinstaling maya yet perhaps this is the last chance.

bgawboy
02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Another simple test.
Does the exr file display with imf_disp?
imf_disp is another command line utility, which reflects the formats mental ray uses.

AmirHooman
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
yes it displays

btw useful utility i didn't know:)

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.