PDA

View Full Version : trying to make clouds...

little5points
02-20-2006, 05:38 AM
I'm trying to create clouds that look like this:
http://www.fuldix.westfalen.de/roland/pics/clouds.png

I started with spheres with a cloud material but they looked too much like puffs of transparent smoke. And of course it looked bad where they overlapped other shapes

Then I created a puffy terrain and used the snow preset material but it looked too solid.

I found a tutorial here:
http://www.3dmenagerie.com/goodies/tut/vpc.htm

But for some reason when I apply a cloud material to a terrain, it's not visible in the render, even if it's tilted as indicated in the tutorial.

Has anyone created decent puffy clouds? Have any tips?

thanks

MsLin
02-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I've been playing around with Cumulus cloud material on a terrain and it shows some potential. It's not a volumetric, which may make the difference. I don't have it where I want it yet, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Lin

emu007
02-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi there, I 've got an idea i heard about. Using Billboards of real or good rendered clouds.

But i can't try this now during illuminationbaking a high count of buildings. Has someone try this, and if so, does it good results ??

Emu007

emu007
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm on the best way to reach good looking clounds with billboarding, but the vuepoint in the scene will be very limmited to be straight ahead over the clouds. Hope to get a good result next day. :):)

Emu007

MsLin
02-21-2006, 12:50 AM
A few folks use alpha planes with cloud/sky photos quite successfully. There are a lot of those in the gallery over at Rendo. I imagine billboards could work the same way, although never heard of anyone trying actually. One thing you have to be careful of with this type of thing is volumentric atmospheres - they don't play nicely with alphas, so they might not with billboards.

Lin

emu007
02-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Oh yes, i agree with you. By using volumetrics the clouds have dark frames around. I hope to fix this soon. if i have success with this I'll create a larger cloudcollection in different resolutions to give it as a freebe at rendero. But step by step, first i need to finish my illuminationbakings. A kigndom to get a renderfarm please......... :):)

Emu007

emu007
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
This is what i get in a short time of trying out. It's true, the athmospherehandling is very strange. It's needed to tweak the cloudtexture for each different athmosphere or to fit the athmosphere to the clouds.And you'll need to shrink down the alphamask a little bit to loose the dark frame around the clouds. This pic is made with only one billboardcloud on an ecosystem. But the rendertime is horrible. AMD64 3500+ closed to 5 minutes. But thats just the beginning........

MsLin
02-22-2006, 12:44 AM
It's looking great - I'll be anxious to see how this turns out (and of course learn how you did it).

Lin

mdunakin
02-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Same here.
I spent a few hours last night trying out some of my own theories,
which I could see might work, but they were wasting far too much of my
time on something I wasn't totally sure if it would really work GOOD or not?
My idea was pretty basic.
I figured I could just use lots and lots of layers of clouds in Vue and just
change the altitude for each layer and then adjust the size and density
and darkness/brightness, etc., for each layer so that you could "build up"
the cloud with the layers and fake your way to making tall puffy clouds.

Actually, I tried only four layers and was supprised that it sort of worked.
But!, I think to be of any decent looking style, you'd need more like 15 layers or so.

And who knows how much that would eat up in render times?
Though my times were pretty much nill for what I had.

Maybe some age I'll try it again, but I wanted to get back to learning Poser 6 :)

Anyway, I look forward to your finals when ever you get there?

.............md :)

emu007
02-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Im closed to get good looking clouds. Only some little issues to fix. But some useful tips before.

- Don't use black backgroundcolor for the diffusemap, use white.

- Use ambiencelight as minimum lightanhancements.

- And in the lighttab of the athmosphere decrease the lightbalanceslider as most as you can.

Tomorrow I'll start from the beginning with cloudpics in a higher resolution.

Greetings.........

emu007
02-27-2006, 12:22 AM
.........some tests more........

Emu007

emu007
02-27-2006, 03:58 AM
And some new samples. & layers for now. and in most cases no need to tweek the athmosphere.

Emu007

emu007
02-27-2006, 03:59 AM
........and again 3.....

Emu007

richcz3
03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I posted a test of some "mashed potato" like cloud tests a while back. The post no longer exists in this forum. I'm including the the scene file if this helps.

SCENE FILE >LINK< (http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/tutorials/Aircraft_01_NoPlanes_05d.zip)

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/tutorials/Vue_Cloud_tests_01.jpg

On another note on the E-On Vue forums Erkki posted a nice at altitude cloud solution. He added his scene file there. I highly suggest people interested in making fly through clouds check out his post and scene file. (you must be registered at E-On to use the forums.)

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/Clouds_Erkki.jpg

mdunakin
03-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanx for the info and the sample files/link :)

I just downloaded it and will check it out later as soon as I get a chance to.

Thanx a ton for that................md :)

little5points
03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
good stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.