PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Challenge #2: Kary

kary
02-20-2006, 05:18 AM
I took a quick shot at Script #3. Green dimensional portal from the window throwing out most of the light. White light from the door on the right, in theory to silhouette the character in light thats unlike the room.

Not satisfied with it, but I'm quite tempted to move into one of the other scripts for a bit and come back to it after some feedback and I've figured out all the things that are bugging me :)

http://www.karyblack.com/wips/lighting%20challenge/script-3-pass1.jpg

lazzhar
02-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Nice, I like the overall alien green :)
Maybe if you could make shadowing that comes from the window more noticable around the room to get some dark areas making a mysterious mood? And why not some rays la Star Gate?
Keep it up.

jeremybirn
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Agree with above. Also might consider putting the full window into the shot. Widen the camera angle and it'll look even less natural (too wide not to have barrel distortion or fisheye distortion) but that could add to the effect. If you could do an ambient occlusion pass that could help as well.

-jeremy

kary
02-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Great critques guys, I was able to try them out fairly painlessly so here we go:

http://www.karyblack.com/wips/lighting%20challenge/script-3-pass2.jpg

I took the levels way down, got both door and window in frame (though they can be played with a bit more), and got a 5 second portal in.

I might be going to dark here. The right side feels a bit to foggy / dreamy and thats not really what one would expect in an actiony sci fi scene. I'd like to do the portal up right, but at minimum get some volume to the light entering from there, the air reads like a vacum there. The framing on the left with the pitch black unused space is very awkward as well.

---

Immense thanks for putting this together Jeremy, it's very nice to have a chance to try things like this and the concentrated input is invaluable.

Sciortino
02-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Nice job so far. Looks like you tweaked the fan's post too--nice attention to detail.
For the script it sounds like maybe the character is being chased? Maybe there's some way to convey that in the lighting coming from one of the side rooms--dangerous probing search beams from his/her pursuers?
-Paul

kary
02-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Nice job so far. Looks like you tweaked the fan's post too--nice attention to detail.
For the script it sounds like maybe the character is being chased? Maybe there's some way to convey that in the lighting coming from one of the side rooms--dangerous probing search beams from his/her pursuers?
-Paul

Yep I did play with the fan a touch. Light is an increasingly interesting topic for me, but modelling is where I am fairly comfortable -- easy to play with the fan's mesh for a few minutes when putting off a lighting / camera decision ;)

I didn't read it as him neccesarily being chased -- I took it as he's recovering from a 'warp' somewhere with centaur, which turned out to be an objectionable experience. That he's being chased does sound more natural then racing through the kitchen just to rip into the next harrowing experience. Rather then say... pausing to enjoy the nice bottle of wine while reminiscing about objectionable centaurs.

Fair amount of cleanup to do in that scene, and when I get to it I'll try to setup a bit more story from the right.

---

Some really good stuff coming out in this challenge, I'll have to go through the threads more closely this weekend. Very interesting to see how many variations there are on scripts out there :) I've been playing with this (http://www.karyblack.com/wips/assembly/assembly8.jpg) thing in my spare time this week so haven't had as much time here as I would like (only finishing the characters, secondary modelling, and texturing to go!... yay.)

---

Did a really quick take on script 4; it's a cliched and a low quality render but fun:
http://www.karyblack.com/wips/lighting%20challenge/cliche.jpg

niEt0
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey man that really scare me!.. n1
I think the bump on the flor is to high, and other thing, maybe, is to change the white color on the top of the image, perhaps it looks better if you try a darker color.. green or blue. But I like the atmosphere.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.