PDA

View Full Version : Open Figure Drawing Workshop - William Bouguereau Master Copy - with Rebeccak 014

Pages : [1] 2

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 12:07 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20014/OFDW-014-Announcement.jpg

Welcome to the FOURTEENTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!!

This workshop is open to any medium and any style. Some informal moderation
will be gladly provided by Rebecca Kimmel ~ however, the purpose of the
Workshop is for Artists to interact with and informally critique one anothers work.

Due to the popularity and outstanding success of last week's first Master Copy Workshop, we will be continuing this week with another Master Copy Workshop!
This week we will be working from a choice of 2 new Master Paintings by William Bouguereau:

Note: This Workshop will last at least 3, and possibly 4 weeks. Depending on how far people get in 3 weeks, we may extend the time period to 4 weeks.

Choice 1: (See below for links)

William Bouguereau (1825-1905)
Nymphes et Satyre [Nymphs and Satyr]
Oil on canvas, 1873
102 1/4 x 70 3/4 inches (260 x 180 cm)

Choice 2: (See below for links)

William Bouguereau (1825-1905)
La Vague [The Wave]
Oil on canvas, 1896
47 5/8 x 63 1/8 inches (121 x 160.5 cm)

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of artrenewal.org (http://www.artrenewal.org/) and are copyrighted as such.

2. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the Reference used here in the OFDWs.3. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

3. Typically, new threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis ~ however, for this Workshop, 3~4 weeks will be allowed before the next OFDW.

4. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

5. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

6. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

7. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

8. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

9. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

10. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art! :)

LINKS to Images: WARNING: Nudity:

>>>REFERENCE IMAGE #1, Nymphes et Satyre : Master Painting by William Bouguereau<<<
(http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=25&hires=1)
>>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by William Bouguereau<<< (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20014/Nymphes_et_satyre.jpg)

~~~

>>>REFERENCE IMAGE #2, La Vague: Master Painting by William Bouguereau<<< (http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/b/Bouguereau_William/La_vague.jpg)

>>>Alternate REFERENCE IMAGE source (same painting as above): Master Painting by William Bouguereau<<< (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20014/La_vague.jpg)

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces. :)

Good luck! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
02-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Hmmmmm. I will give this one a shot after I watch the Nba all-star game:wip:

I have been absent from the figure drawing thread for a while now.
Hopefully I did not get dropped from the class.;)

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 12:25 AM
No worries, pushav, feel free to participate. :)

I see you Martin, and you'd better participate in this one. ;)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Pinoy McGee
02-20-2006, 01:50 AM
woohoo! I'm in!

Thanks Rebecca.

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Pinoy McGee,

Yay! I'm glad you found this thread. I was going to PM you and forgot. :D

Looking forward to seeing your work! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

RobertoOrtiz
02-20-2006, 01:58 AM
What the hell...

I am in
-R

Matellis
02-20-2006, 02:31 AM
I am in!! This is my first time doing this so what do we do exactly? just pick one of the references above and make a copy ? or make our own version of one of the images above?

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Roberto and Matellis,

Welcome aboard! :)

Matellis, you basically choose one of the photos above, and yes, make a copy. The purpose is to increase your ability to draw and paint the figure representationally. :) You may choose to adapt the painting, but I generally prefer that if someone (not necessarily you) is a beginner, that they try to faithfully reproduce the painting so as to increase their skill. Having said that, in no way do I or any other participants here dictate style, etc., so as long as your interpretation is not inappropriate, you are free to use the Reference as you wish. :)

Cheers, and good luck! :)

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-20-2006, 02:42 AM
WOW fast reply hehe

Thanks for the info , I was going to relax and watch a movie tonight but not anymore :) im going to get started on this now , should be fun and very helpful :)

I am just looking through the last one you have done to get an idea of how this all works.

And dont go easy on me , if I do a really bad job everyone let me know :)

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 02:47 AM
Matellis,

Sounds great! You should get your CollabBattle partner, 99Sproth, involved as well. :)

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-20-2006, 02:58 AM
hahaha I will tell him about it tomorrow , right now I'm talking to Sh@ke trying to convince him to join aswell. Wish me luck! haha

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Come on, sh@ke! Time to kick some bootay! :D

~Rk

MichaelZHsee
02-20-2006, 03:07 AM
okie matt and rebecca~i'll play along:)

daWinky
02-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Morning everyone!

...and I'm in here too:) !

-sabrina

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Yay Sabrina!!! :bounce: If you hadn't stopped by, I would have had to track you down to ask you! :D

Really looking forward to your contribution here! :thumbsup:

~"Beckie"

Matellis
02-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Here is mine so far , going to stop working on it for the night so i thought i would just post what i have so far :)

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9646/vanskecth40lx.jpg

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Matellis,

Great to see your start! And congrats on being the first to post WIP! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

MichaelZHsee
02-20-2006, 06:14 AM
a good practice~my friend cok3 wanna join in too:)
nice going matt

daWinky
02-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Not so quick as Matt:eek: ..., but I was so excited to start my first colored shading that I worked the whole night:D - just to see if my vague idea of this technic will work...no I'm terribly tired, but I think this may be a good starting point...!???

Have all a nice day!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/lavague_wip1.jpg
-sabrina

Mu
02-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi everyone - great to see all the "stars" join in on this one...!

erm Rebecca, is it due to superstition that there is actually no 13th OFDW?

:eek:

ErichSchreiner
02-20-2006, 09:34 AM
i'm in too, but i'll start next week with the piece, to much to do right now :)

reflectedfight
02-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Yum Yum

Will maybe join in on this one ---- use it as an excuse to buy a good book on Bouguereau ---- my printers only loaded with black ink.

makaron
02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Hallo :wavey:

well, I started today... in this for fun and lets see if I have time to make some more of it... :)
need every little bit of help later on... humans are not my strong side... :cry:
http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/lady/lady.jpg

CYA

Bpanting
02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
This looks like a cool idea. I think I am going to give it a try. I hope to start it tonight after work. :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Sabie,

Wow, fantastic start! :applause: I anticipate a really strong piece from you! :thumbsup:

Mr. Mu,

Yep, it's a superstition thang! :D Erm...I always substitute in 12B...:D

Erich,

Looking forward to your participation! :thumbsup:

Gavin,

Sounds great! Bring it on!!! :)

makaron,

Great start! Humans are not much different than GPs...just less fur! :thumbsup:

Cheers all, :)

~Rebeccak

Zapan
02-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Yay , I can get back into my cheering session again :bounce:

@ Matellis : wow , you're really fast , look promising already ...

@ sh@ke : OMG , this is gonna be huge ... don't want to miss that !

@ daWinky : Go Sabie , Go !! you're all doomed people , Sabie's in !!

@ makaron : Yay !! Go Mon' , Go !! Let's burn the wacom !!

@ Rebecca : Bah where's Beckie's start , are my eyes not enough opened ?
naah kidding ... I know why ... ;)

Cheers everyone ,

-Steph

aggie93
02-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Holy Cow Batman, Is everyone in here unemployed? Y'all posted so quick! LOL

Reb - I'm in. I want to do both. I need to hurry and finish Dente though.

Got to get back to WORK!

Ag

vnikolov
02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
hehe, that's funny..
@Rebeccak : I have a question..
Inspired by the previuos Master Copy Workshop I started working on a painting couple of days ago (well I'm still sketching, but anyway)..
The funny thing is it was supposed to be Bouguereau 's "La Vague" copy. But when I started sketching I dropped the idea and decided to use a friend of mine 's photo for reference (just the face though). And of course I'm gonna throw some clothes on, otherwise she's gonna rip my head off if she finds out she's all over tne net butt naked:shrug:
So my question was can I post my rendition of the painting here, or is it strictly "Bouguereau copy thread"?..
If so, I guess I could work on both pieces simultaneously - the original and my version of it. My concern is that I work VERY slowly, first cause my PC is quite "skinny" hardwear-wise and second because i'm not that expirienced in digital painting and any painting for that matter..
I haven't touched my pencils for well over 10 years now and have no artistic background what so ever. Just recently bought myself a small tablet to practice. I even had time to do a few pieces for the speedpaints thread one lazy weekend couple of weeks ago (*jumps off the chair and hits the ceiling with his ass from joy* :bounce: ).It's just a hobby, but it brings me soo much pleasure and sattisfaction..
I can't possibly measure with anyone of you, just thought I could give it a try. Some comments and crits from proffesional artists like most of you are would be of great assistance for me..

P.S. Soooo much tallent around here. Wonderfull work, all of you..
RESPECT..
Pardon my english, I'm doing the best I can here..

Ego
02-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Mmkay. I just started with a 15 minute fast sketch just to see whats going on and to subscribe :D

This is my envelope and the 15 mins sketch. Thanks again Becca for another opportunity to hack at a Bouggie.
http://www.queensoul.com/images/wip/Lavague.jpg

Rebeccak
02-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Steph~anie, :D

Glad to see you here cheering! :applause:

Originally posted by vnikolov: I have a question..
Inspired by the previuos Master Copy Workshop I started working on a painting couple of days ago (well I'm still sketching, but anyway)..
The funny thing is it was supposed to be Bouguereau 's "La Vague" copy. But when I started sketching I dropped the idea and decided to use a friend of mine 's photo for reference (just the face though). And of course I'm gonna throw some clothes on, otherwise she's gonna rip my head off if she finds out she's all over tne net butt naked
So my question was can I post my rendition of the painting here, or is it strictly "Bouguereau copy thread"?..
Absolutely yes! :) And by the way, welcome aboard!

If so, I guess I could work on both pieces simultaneously - the original and my version of it. My concern is that I work VERY slowly, first cause my PC is quite "skinny" hardwear-wise and second because i'm not that expirienced in digital painting and any painting for that matter..
I haven't touched my pencils for well over 10 years now and have no artistic background what so ever. Just recently bought myself a small tablet to practice. I even had time to do a few pieces for the speedpaints thread one lazy weekend couple of weeks ago (*jumps off the chair and hits the ceiling with his ass from joy*).It's just a hobby, but it brings me soo much pleasure and sattisfaction..
I can't possibly measure with anyone of you, just thought I could give it a try. Some comments and crits from proffesional artists like most of you are would be of great assistance for me..
That's fine, there are 3~4 weeks for this Workshop, so just do your best! Also bear in mind that technically speaking, no OFDW ever really closes, I just encourage folks to move to the next, most recent OFDW as quickly as they can. :) However, there have been many cases when folks have posted to older OFDWs weeks, and even months, after an OFDW has technically 'closed'. :)

P.S. Soooo much tallent around here. Wonderfull work, all of you..
RESPECT..
I agree! :) Also lots of nice people who are willing to help you out. ;)

Pardon my english, I'm doing the best I can here..
I always laugh at you Europeans who have great English skills, where for the most part we Americans (myself included) speak only one language. I have much respect for the bi~and tri~lingual! :thumbsup:

Queensoul,

Fantastic start! You'll do a great job! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Holy Cow Batman, Is everyone in here unemployed? Y'all posted so quick! LOL

HAHAA you know it robin , in my case anyways lol

Mu
02-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Mr. Mu,

Yep, it's a superstition thang! :D Erm...I always substitute in 12B...:D

LOL, everytime I think I figured you out you come up with something new I want to raise my eyebrows about like Mr. Spock bumping into "human irrationality"...:scream:

I shall call you Strangelina from now on....:scream:

Elsie
02-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Bah I feel all left out :cry: hehe. I don't think I've quite got the energy to do this OFDW, though it's for sure going to be a pleasure to watch. Great starts everybody, Michael - can't wait to see what you come up with my friend :thumbsup:.

vnikolov
02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
@Rebeccak: Oh, thank you for the warm welcome and for your kind words of encouragement..
Much appreciated :thumbsup: ..
@everyone participating: Have fun and enjoy it..

There goes the sketch(es)..

http://static.flickr.com/24/102257143_68c7b93d8d_o.jpg

and the other version if anyone's curious..

http://static.flickr.com/43/102257142_bfc92faf14_o.jpg

Matellis
02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey everyone ! just a little update on my progress so far :)
Im having a bit of trouble trying to match up the skin tone colors etc but i will keep trying.

Cheers!

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9296/vanskecth54qj.jpg

pushav
02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
This is what I have so far after an hour or so......

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/pusha-v/wip/vaguemastercopy1.jpg

I think that the head may be a little small but I am still in the blocking in phase.

Crit time.

By the way, NICE JOB EVERYONE!:thumbsup:

aggie93
02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Ok guys, you gotta give a a guy a chance to get started.

By the way, everyone who has started, is doing a FABULOUS job!

Llynna
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
im in too, started 2 hours or so ago after my boyfriend left. am quite satisfied as for now, going to lay some basic colouring down now on her. bg is still really rough, will come back to him some time later.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/venus2.jpg

@makaron: great start :) proportions are looking nice, only her right arm seems a bit short. one advice though, dont start out with those greys, try it with a little bit more saturated light blue for the pale bluish look of the skin. carefully apply some greyish blue after that.

@ego: whee, looking real good so far :) you really are productive the last couple of days :). hopefully this wont remain a 15 min sketch. see you around :)

@vnikolov: both versions look nice :) maybe you should colour the one with your friend, would be something slightly different to look at here at the thread. am curious how you would develop it.

@matellis: nice colours :) and a real great start. hopefully you update soon.

@pushav: hey mate, havent seen you in a long time :) great to see you here too. colours are looking real good as a basic layout!

so guys n gals keep it comin :thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
02-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Pushav....you might want to establish the surface planes on the face and head right from
the start on this painting.....needs more skull on top, and more neck...line of spine up into
base of skull......squree off chin...nose...forhead....cheeks, and establish eye sockets..with
corect angles. Put the same amont of feeling and acuracy into this face, as you put into
the rap singers faces in your personal thread.....get it down from the start, will make the
rest of the painting more enjoyible for you to finish I think.
You are off to a really nice start here,...colors are right on the money...body looks good, but
the face and head are the focal point of this painting, so give them your all....
Just trying to be of some help to you...I know what your capible of, and would like to see
it all come together for you on this painting.:)

NICE STARTS....EVERYONE...:thumbsup: :)

Rebecca....#13 is a very lucky number....same thing happened to it that happened to the
DRAGON....A PERVERSION OF HERSTORY, BY HISTORY....know the TRUTH..:eek: :D

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Bpanting
02-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Well here is what I was able to get so far. I hope to maybe get the rest blocked of tomorrow, and then I can try and start painting it in PS. The picture I took did not come out to hot because my lines are still very light so I bumped up the contrast some. As you can see I am still very much a beginner so any comments would be much appreciated.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3238/nymphesandsatyre4yu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Matellis
02-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Hey everyone , all the sketches are looking really good , no crits here. :)

Thought I would post up my update since i am done working on it for the day. Its coming along good , im happy with it so far , if anyone sees anything wrong let me know , i need some fresh eyes , dont wanna get to far along and realize i did something majorly wrong!

Keep up the good work everyone

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1654/vanskecth80ea.jpg

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Everyone,

Some really great work going on here, and I am thrilled to see so many people posting already! :bounce:While I'm in the midst of the CGWorkshop and unable to comment quite as much as I'd like, I'm definitely checking in on everyones' progress and really enjoying seeing the great work done so far! Keep it up guys! :applause:

~Rebeccak

Ego
02-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Rebecca....#13 is a very lucky number....same thing happened to it that happened to the
DRAGON....A PERVERSION OF HERSTORY, BY HISTORY....know the TRUTH..:eek: :D

TAKE CARE
Glenn
Yes! Yes. I was born on the 13th. I am a lucky child :D

Matellis
02-21-2006, 02:42 AM
I have the same birthday as john lennon, oct 9th! is the 9th a lucky day???

Ego
02-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Matt, excellent going there. Watch out for that curve at her back so it doesnt arch out too much.
Wow, what an energetic start you guys! :thumbsup:

Llynna
02-21-2006, 03:17 AM
another update for tonight. got right into colouring, maybe not the best way to do things but somehow i always do it so messed up.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/venus3.jpg

Gord-MacDonald
02-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Ok - I am in on this one - hope to post soon, but for now I am doing some high level analysis.

Gord

StormyQ
02-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Hiya,
This is my first post here. I normally only sneak peeks in here or eles I would be tempted to do this instead of my homework... cleaning my apartment... laundry... Anyhow I had some extra time and I'd thought i'd get some opinions on my effort.
Thanks in advance
http://www.wildtakes.net/images/wip.jpg

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 06:36 AM
StormyQ,

Welcome aboard! :)

I think you've got a good start here! However, your life will be made easier if you start from a mid~gray, and work up toward lights and down toward darks, rather than starting w/ a white background.

The following thread might be useful: :)

TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436

Did you want to tell us a bit about your background and training?

~Rebeccak

metacom
02-21-2006, 07:15 AM
this is what i have from working on it tonite. i have painter and photoshop, but i dont have a wacom tablet and its too hard with the mouse, so im just going to stick with pencil. this is my first submission for a workshop, so im looking for all the advice i can get. thanks.http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/metacom/drawing2.jpg

metacom
02-21-2006, 07:18 AM
my name is kevin, i go to the art institute of houston. (texas) i will graduate in march with an associates degree in computer animation....but i still have alot to learn, ive had some drawing classes before but still need help...thats why im here. so thats a little bit about me.

Ego
02-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok, I think I have a working sketch that I can work with. I've cleaned it up but left some landmarks visible for me . Little update.
http://www.queensoul.com/images/cgtalk/kimmelclass/workingsketchsmall.jpg

vnikolov
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
wow, you guys are just too fast :-)
Great work everybody.. Keep up, but hey, you can slow down a bit - that is some killer tempo for the poor ordinary non-artistic bastards like me :rolleyes: ..
hehe, just kidding, although I really can't possibly catch up with you anytime soon..
Unfortunatelly I can spare only an hour a day or so for painting and my progress will be much slower than the rest of you..
My internet connection went dead yesterday, so I'm posting this from the office..
Done with the sky, there'll be some minor adjustments later on, of course..
I've also done some basic color blocking, but it still looks pretty rough, so I'm not posting it at this point.. Tonight hopefully, If I can get hold of my computer for a couple of hours..

update:

http://static.flickr.com/29/102477333_7d9ba16bbe_o.jpg

StormyQ
02-21-2006, 07:45 AM
I think you've got a good start here! However, your life will be made easier if you start from a mid~gray, and work up toward lights and down toward darks, rather than starting w/ a white background.

Heehee, thanks for the link. I was thinking "this is easier on newsprint" and now I know why.

As for about me. I'm a full time Graphics Design major at Art Institue Las Vegas, as well as holding down a fulltime boring job. (I don't reccommend doing that btw :curious:) I started out wanting to be a comic book illustrator, which lead me life drawing. I discovered that there is something wonderful about the human form. I've developed the semi-bad habit of drawing figures out of my head rather than looking at a model. It's nice to be able to get back into life drawing.
:wavey:

RobertoOrtiz
02-21-2006, 07:54 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/woman.jpgHere is my first pass after a horrendous pc crash... (not pretty)
She looks more like a Latina in need of a Treadmill and a Subway diet than a French woman,
But what the heck...
-R

Mu
02-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I have the same birthday as john lennon, oct 9th! is the 9th a lucky day???

Sure it is... but don't go to New York...:D

I am still busy with the animatic Micro challenge - it turns out I am the only participant so it will be an easy first place...:scream:...:sad:

Anyway, I was looking forward to that challenge so I will finish it and start Bougereau-ing next week. I am glad I saw someone who chose the Satyr/Nymph piece.

Does anyone know something about the story background of this piece? I mean, why the heck would anyone not go where they want you to go?

Xillion
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Stole some time (maybe fifteen minutes) to start this "amazing" piece. I chose to begin by laying down some of the main masses with no base drawing (this is my standard method of painting). At this stage colours and values are quite off but I find this approach useful to train my eye to see the direction I should go for (in terms of color and luminosity). Done in photoshop using the "Linda fav" variant that can be found in Goro's brushes collection.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3817/nymphesetsatyre4jv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

erilaz
02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Why not? I'll have a go at the interesting one!
Silhouette work:
http://www.artfuloddities.com/2D/Sketches/Studies/Nymphes001.jpg

Xillion
02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Interesting approach erilaz, it gives good readability to the scene. What kind of reasons led (if there are) you to the choice of that values ?

Ego
02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Its quite interesting to see the various methods employed by artists here start their pieces.

erilaz
02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Interesting approach erilaz, it gives good readability to the scene. What kind of reasons led (if there are) you to the choice of that values ?

I started using the silhouette method during Rebecca's first course workshop, as it really helps me to get a sense of the form first, similar to Anthony Ryder's method, but with a whole shape instead of just a line.
The values were based on some of the darkest portions of each individual subject. I like to start dark and work in the values from dark to light, so I keep my shadows from the start.
As to the gradient background, it helps to bring out the forms solidly while you work, plus if you look at the image, you can see a soft gradient of dark to light from the top to the bottom.
I'm going to be painting this all black and white, at least for starters. I need to work on my values.

mark-jenkins
02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I've been really busy lately so I haven't even had time to finish OFDW12, but I am still going to try to find time for this. I can always go back and finish OFDW12 later. BTW Rebecca, have I totally missed OFDW13 or are you superstitious?

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow, some really great starts here! Martin, I'm thrilled to see you've joined in! Equally glad to see everyones' efforts here...MarcoJ, yes, admittedly I'm superstitious...:D

~Rebeccak

Gunilla
02-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Gosh! Another Bouguereau started?! Lots of nice work here already and some really interesting approaches.
Enrico - love that painterly start, it's going to be real interesting to see where you take it.
Sabrina - you seem so totally comfortable with this already, I'm not surprised if you very soon is as good with 2d as 3d!
Mona - Heja! So cool to see you in this one, and a really nice start - looking forward to see what you come up with!
Martin - That silhouette start could be the beginning of something really cool. Like it!

And a group cheer for the rest of you, all really interesting starts for this :applause:

Ego
02-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Here is my bouggie at the end of day one. Now I must go do other things and start again another day. I am really having fun studing this artist.
http://www.queensoul.com/images/cgtalk/kimmelclass/lavaguesketch8.jpg

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Gunie,

Come join in! You know you want to! :bounce:

Queensoul,

Wow, just hugely impressed with this! :applause: Is this the same Queensoul who shyly stumbled into one of the early OFDWs? :eek: :bounce:

Amazing start here darlin', looking forward to seeing your finished masterpiece! :applause:

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey everyone , just woke up and checked out the thread , I really like everyones start , I am finding it hard to really do anything criting at this point because most are still in the sketch phase :)

erilaz (member.php?u=6001)- I am vey interested in you approch here and I will be looking to see the progresss closely.

I noticed some people are giving a little background of thereselves so I think i will do the same since I don't think anyone on cgtalk really knows anything about be.

Pretty much I am a guy from the east coast , canada and I have been drawing pretty much my whole life. I have never had any formal training (thats why crits mean so much to me) I havent really had a job in the cg or art business at all , I have been a cook for the last 2 years. A few years ago I was doing portraits for local people and painted a few surf boards. And im learning 3D modeling now. And thats pretty much it haha

Keep the sketches coming everyone :)

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Matellis,

Thanks for that! My apologies, I'm not as attentive as I'd like to be to this OFDW due to the CGWorkshop...:D...but I'm happy to know a bit more about you, it's much better than just knowing people through their usernames, lol! :)

I look forward to your participation here and hope you get a lot out of it ~ and also that you'll participate in future OFDWs with us! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccaka

Ego
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Queensoul,

Wow, just hugely impressed with this! :applause: Is this the same Queensoul who shyly stumbled into one of the early OFDWs? :eek: :bounce:

Amazing start here darlin', looking forward to seeing your finished masterpiece! :applause:

~Rebeccak
oh weeeeeeee. Thanks Becca. I cant believe you are making time to join us in here despite all the work you have going on. But we are not complaining. :D

For anyone who is interested, you can read up about Bouggie here:
http://www.artrenewal.org/museum/b/Bouguereau_William/bio1.asp

depleteD
02-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey great work so far. peoples are coming along nicely.
I think I'll do the goat one,

the goat one is pretty funny, hes all like "no ladies, dont all 7 make love to me! I'm a goat man!" Seriously, hes half goat, is he ever gonna be luckier in his life. No.

This Will B. Cat is a mad ass dope painter.

Bpanting
02-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Queensoul thanks for the link about Bouggie. I only got about halfway thru it but interesting stuff so far. Have to finish reading the rest tonight after work :buttrock:

vnikolov
02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Great work everybody..
It'll be hard to keep up with you, that piece of junk under my desk is playing tricks on me, but I have no intentions of giving up..
It needed more than 15 minutes to save my file :banghead: ..
Photoshop's eating resources like crazy, not that I have plenty of it. 700Mhz AMD processor and 256 RAM make it pretty damn hard to handle those huge files :D..
Gotta buy a new computer - It's about time..
Oh, and I'm sorry I've been posting such large images in my previous posts, just read the rules and found out my pictures should be 800x... at the most. I appologise to all of you for that..
Won't happen again..
anyway, my next image - fixed the figure a little and started some rough color blocking just to get the feeling of it..
See you all later, I'm calling it a night..

http://static.flickr.com/32/102710316_a22d7d02cd_o.jpg

Matellis
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
vnikolov- good really good sofar , loving the look of the water , keep it up :) ahaha and i agree its time for an upgrade :)

Rebeccak
02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
vnikolov,

Beautiful work! :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about your computer problems...I think we can all sympathize. ;)

Keep up the good work!

~Rebeccak

pushav
02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Spirtdreamer-Lol yeah I had to fix up the face and that helped a lot.

Llynna-Yes I have returned. Sound the horns. :) Yours is coming along great.

Everyone-Keep up the good work in here.

Here is a small update.........

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/pusha-v/wip/vaguemastercopy2.jpg

Xillion
02-21-2006, 11:58 PM
another hour of work.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5089/nymphesetsatyre28tf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Matellis
02-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone! heres an update on mine so far.

I am having some trouble with the feet , they just dont seen to be going right for me , as well as the hair and face , i know i will have to spend a lot more time in those areas , im just worried because i always seem to over work stuff and it just ends up worse, but we shall see how it goes.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/13/vanskecth95nc.jpg

Bpanting
02-22-2006, 01:48 AM
OK her is tonights update. I think I am going to try messing with it in PS now. After steping back and looking at it it looks like some of the heads are to small. I will try an fix that in PS I guess because I have almost worn a hole in my paper for erasing it and trying to get it right. So far everones work looks awsome and its really pushing me to keep working on this and see what I can do with it. Thanks :applause:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4756/nymphesandsatyresm021ni.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Pinoy McGee
02-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Pinoy McGee's Updates

March 3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/studies04_mcgee.jpg

----------

March 2

Focus on the torso.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/studies03_mcgee.jpg

-----------
Feb. 22

Tonight's study, Madam's left foot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/studies02_mcgee.jpg

------------

Feb. 21

Hello. I begin my master copy of the exquisite La Vague masterpiece by doing what I consider my warmup studies, starting with Madame La Vague's hands. My purpose is to familiarize myself first with isolated details and hopefully get an idea...what trouble I got myself into :eek:! But more importantly, to see how Master Bouguereau draws the figure.

In this first series I drew loosely and didn't attempt dead on accuracy since I'm basically just taking some notes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/studies01_mcgee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Flipmcgee/studies01b_mcgee.jpg

Gord-MacDonald
02-22-2006, 04:33 AM
starting with a pencil drawing 7 X 9.5 inches

http://cg2020.com/111_MASTERCOPY/MC_14/DSCF4955b.jpg
Gord

SpiritDreamer
02-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Pushav.....Really nice face... :thumbsup: now it's all down hill...LOL!!

Really nice starts on all of these....should be interesting...so many different aproaches and
styles...:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

daWinky
02-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Good morning everyone!

Nice to see that a lot of people are in this OFDW...and all with a great start!:thumbsup: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Always amazing to see the different approaches and I'm curious to watch everyone's progress! Here's my little update...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/lavague_wip3.jpg

-sabrina

Rebeccak
02-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Wow, lovely work everyone! <3

pushav, Xillion, Kwyjibo, Pinoy McGee, Gord, Sabie,

Such great work!!! :bounce::arteest:So great to see everyones' approaches! :wavey:

~Rebeccak

vnikolov
02-22-2006, 07:11 AM
vnikolov,

Beautiful work! :thumbsup: Sorry to hear about your computer problems...I think we can all sympathize. ;)

Keep up the good work!

~Rebeccak
@Rebeccak - Wow, thank you Rebecca, coming from you It means A LOT to me, really..

@Matellis - Hehe, you're right about the upgrade, no doubt.. By the way niiiice progress, buddy - you nailed the color scheme - awsome work, keep it up..

vnikolov,
Such great work!!! :bounce::arteest:So great to see everyones' approaches! :wavey:

~Rebeccak
I second that..

koshime
02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow. looks like a bit of fun. I'm really poor at figurative darwing but woudl like to give this a good go. I do like the dance of the Nyphs with the Satyr.

Xillion
02-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Another hour... (whose half was lost due to a wrong revert command :cry: :banghead: )
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/461/nymphesetsatyre39hb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ceresz
02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Hmm, this seems interesting, and fun.
I might join, as soon as I get painter to work.
~Skurai

vnikolov
02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Another hour... (whose half was lost due to a wrong revert command :cry: :banghead: )
@Xillion - splendid. Very nice update. You REALLY know your way with color, man - I'll give you that :arteest: .. Sorry to hear about your little obstacle. But from what I can see here, I assure you - that time wasn't wasted, oh no..
I'll be watching your progress shots with huge interest and anticipation..
Keep up and most important - have fun..

Matellis
02-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Some really good updates everyone!! nothing to crit yet just keep the updates coming.

I may not post an update today , gotta watch Olympic hockey!

GO CANADA!!!

Xillion
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
vnikolov: thanks your comment is very flattering. I hope I'll finish this workshop cause this piece is just wonderful but... you all know I'm sooo lazy (I just have plenty of other ideas in my mind right now!!!).
Anyway, does anyone kwnow how much time Bourguereau took to paint this ?

SpiritDreamer
02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everybody
A quick study.
Just trying to get a feel for the Satyr's face and character.
Water Color Brush, Painter 9
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_2.jpg

Rebeccak
02-23-2006, 02:44 AM
Very cool study Glenn! I am really enjoying seeing everyones' posts so far...looks like we have yet another talented bunch! :bounce:

Considering the amount of work done already by you guys, I can't wait to see what may develop in the next few weeks! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone who is participating here! :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi everyone, everyone progress look great!! :D

gosh. I'm not sure about the skintone. Hope that I'm still on the right track.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ericyeo/wave/wave1.jpg

Rebeccak
02-23-2006, 03:05 AM
ericyeo,

Just keep going, you'll be fine! This is a decidedly cooler pallete than that of the previous pieces...don't be afraid to have fun and to experiment. :)

~Rebeccak

Pinoy McGee
02-23-2006, 04:54 AM
One update here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3266060#post3266060).

--------
Promising start ericyeo, particularly with the values that you have for the waves.

Spirit Dreamer, interesting textural effects on your study.

Xillion, yeah you're progressing pretty well and fast! Your indication of space between satyr's back and leftmost nymph's thigh is reading effectively.

daWinky, the figure definitely stands out in the foreground in this wip.

Looking forward to progress pics of your copy Gord.

Gord-MacDonald
02-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Thanks Rebbecca, Pinoy McGee

pencil cont. - I will get into colour a little later...

http://cg2020.com/111_MASTERCOPY/MC_14/2006feb22_1a.jpg

Gord

Gord-MacDonald
02-23-2006, 06:28 AM
so much good work - and effort!

I may not post an update today , gotta watch Olympic hockey!

GO CANADA!!!

Maybe we should draw the expression on Don Cherries face after the game. Oh well - maybe in another four years...

Gord

Mu
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey Gord, I am glad I can watch some of your pencil work in the process of creation, because I admired the pencil portraits at your website a lot!I am already stunned at how convincing the results are just by concentrating on negative space....:eek:

Zephyri
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Throwing myself headlong into this one, as I missed the last one and was most upset. And for once I'll be on time with everyone else!

Here's the first shot, about and hour and a half's work, in photoshop. I worked with the this file and the original, both at the same size, with a grid overlaid on both to get the positioning of the bodies right, as there are so many. And for fun, I've added an animated gif. If those are useful to people, I'll keep progress gifs for everytime I work on it. Anyone want me to do that?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/arithonslove/bougereau-copy.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/arithonslove/bougereaustage1.gif

Some really nice work here too. Glenn good to see you here again, working your spriti magic with another Bougereau, I particularly like the swirls in his hair. Matellis your piece is coming on really well, I'd love to see you really get into the nitty gritty sublte details of the piece as you've nailed the colour scheme so well. Xillion We seem to have similar working methods, though yours much more expressive with light than my own, looking forward to seeing it progress. Gord Interesting work with negative spaces, its a great technique to teach you to see what's really there and realte objects to one another.

Matellis
02-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey Sam yours is really taking shape , good work so far , And I like the animated gif , i wish i thought to do that!

Gord I was thinking about doing that sketch haha , i was upset with the final in the game , but then again Canada just didnt seem to have the heart this year. They needs some of the young guys onthe team to keep the passion high in my opinion.

Here is a little update , just been working her face some more but I am still not to happy with it, so some more work will be needed.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1013/vanskecth11head1ef.jpg

Xillion
02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
One more hour (refining shapes on the leftmost female figure).

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2380/nymphesetsatyre46ah.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I have a question for u guys: Do you know any plugin to add a painter-like color wheel in photoshop? (or to bring in the win color picker without having to doubleclick on the color?) I find painter's much more comfortable to work with, but could not find a way to select colors as fast as in painter.

ericyeo
02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks Pinoy McGee and Rebeccak.

Today's update. I'm still a little unsure about the colors and the detailing part..
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ericyeo/wave/wave2.jpg

Rebeccak
02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Xillion,

Looking good! Regarding your pallette question, I don't know but was frankly wondering the exact same thing the other night ~ I much prefer the stability and feel of PS, and frankly wish that it would take on some of Painter's characteristics and features so that I wouldn't have to go back and forth between the two programs. It may be a question you could post to the Painter and / or Photoshop forums.

ericyeo,

To get a feel for the color scheme, you might try (just temporarily) throwing a color layer with the blending mode set to 'color' and at a low opacity, just to see what you want to do with the color scheme ~ on the blending mode layer, then adjust the hue (Ctrl + Shift + U) and change the hue to see which direction you want to go in. Copy merge all layers and paste into a new document, and compare to your existing painting, and if you like that direction color~wise, try starting from there. :)

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Xillion - Im not 100% sure exactly what your asking. but when I paint in photoshop I always have my color dialoge open and there is not double clicking envolved and I find it just as good as painters for picking colors. Its windows/color. But also while im painting i have one finger on the brush shortcut (b) and a finger on the eye dropper shortcut (i) and im going back and forth with those 2 constantly , and my workflow is pretty fast using that. I dunno where your doing the color picking.. Are you double chicking on the 2 color swatches on the tab with your tools?

Bpanting
02-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I always have my color dialoge open

How do you set it so it's always open?

Matellis
02-23-2006, 05:35 PM
yeah its just like your layers tab , you can shove it to the side somewhere , just go to windows and click on color and a box should apear to pick colors from.

ericyeo
02-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Xillion,
To get a feel for the color scheme, you might try (just temporarily) throwing a color layer with the blending mode set to 'color' and at a low opacity, just to see what you want to do with the color scheme ~ on the blending mode layer, then adjust the hue (Ctrl + Shift + U) and change the hue to see which direction you want to go in. Copy merge all layers and paste into a new document, and compare to your existing painting, and if you like that direction color~wise, try starting from there. :)
Rebeccak

Cool~ Thanks for the tips. Really useful. my confident level increase. hee

Rebeccak
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
ericyeo,

You're welcome! :)

Originally posted by Kwyjibo: How do you set it so it's always open?
Kwyjibo, you can arrange your pallettes in any way you want, then go to Window > Workspace > Save Workspace. Give your workspace a name (I have one called 'Painting') and you can save as many different Workspaces for different purposes as you need. :)

~Rebeccak

Bpanting
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
wyjibo, you can arrange your pallettes in any way you want, then go to Window > Workspace > Save Workspace. Give your workspace a name (I have one called 'Painting') and you can save as many different Workspaces for different purposes as you need.

Very cool, I did not know about being able to save workspace, I will be using that for sure.

So here is my update for the day so far. I started adding color finally, but I am not really sure what I am doing. This is my first attempt at digital painting so far. I figure I would start with blocking out base colors and then add my lights and darks. The hard part for me so far is trying to get good matching base colors. Is there any trick to this or is just practice and learning to observe and pick out colors better. I hope to work on it some more tonight.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9379/nymphesandsatyresm038ht.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Xillion
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Another 40'... moving a bit towards the satyr.
Some of the right colors are slowly forming on the painting.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6121/nymphesetsatyre54io.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

matellis...I think there's some little misunderstanding. There are 2 kinds of color pickers in ps. The first one is the one inside the color palette. You can bring up with F6 and it behaves just like any other palette in ps (so you can stick it with others or have it floating around). I usually use this one. It's biggest problem is, in my opinion,it's size. Selecting colors from the little ramp at it's bottom requires eagles' eyes.... the only way to control it properly is to move the sliders (I use HSB mode by the way).
The second kind of color picker is provided by the operating system (and on mac should be a color wheel), it's bigger and better than the one built in photoshop and you can bring it up by double clicking on the "set foreground/background" icon in the tool palette. It's not possible (as far as I know) to have this open constantly and it's not possible to script it's opening. I didn't check if there's a shortcut associated with it.
Thanks for the advice though. And, by the way, very good job so far!!!

Zephyri: thanks for your kind words. I very much enjoyed how you interpreted the figure in the previous workshop. I like very much the final rendering, expecially the mask and clouds. Looking at that interpretation I was inspired to do the daily sketch 620 (http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/9117/robotized27ld.jpg) which required the reinterpretation of a cgTalk member photo. I am sure you are going to rock on this one too;). Ps the animation idea is nice...it's so nice I'm providing one (http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nymphprogress0oy.swf) (550 kb swf file) too!!!

Gord: I probably never told you I really like your experimental works. I always peek at the speed paint thread for inspiration and your works are usually innovative. In this workshop I'm looking more carefully at negative space following your approach.

aggie93
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey guys, I finished up with the 12 now I can start the 14. I have my rough start here (sorry for the poor picture, small digital camera because I am on a trip):

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060223shore1002.jpg

pushav
02-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I put in another hour or so tightening up the painting some more. I adde detail to the thighs, feet and hands.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/pusha-v/wip/vaguemastercopy3.jpg

My hands are sore from wacom use and playing xbox lol. Time for a break...........(Until friday):thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
02-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone:
Refining Satyr Head Study.
Also did a color study
Can't see the detail in the eye of the original painting when I enlarge it.
So will have to make up my own version.
Still alot of refinements left. Trying to capture that expression.

Can't get over how great everbody's starts are turning out.
Amazing.
And very inspiring to say the least.
Still have three weeks left - IMAGINE :)
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_14.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_13.jpg

Rebeccak
02-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Way cool, Glenn! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey pushav its coming along really nice! same to everyone else , keep it up!

Here is another update , started going into some fine detail , and made a color adjustment that i think i like , but some opinions would be very nice :)

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9135/vanskecth134nc.jpg

Rebeccak
02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Matellis,

WOW!!! :bounce:Great work so far! The background looks terrific, and the basic figure looks great as well. Atm, the skin is a bit gray, but I know you've just started. Terrific work, keep it up! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

mindofka
02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Amazing!
I browsed all the pages and am so enthusiastic, wonderful wip's, beautiful studies and works...I found heaven!
Compliments to everybody!:beer:

And since it seems I'm not in the mood for sleeping, I made a quick pencil work.
Thinking of a rework, with an underwater ambience, and the satyr as a male mermaid, a tryton...(tritone?)
I don't have to copy it exactly, don't I?

http://www.mindofka.com/images/underwater.jpg

Bpanting
02-24-2006, 04:12 AM
Here is tonights update. I tried to block out some of the colors but I am not sure if it worked out the way I wanted. So far everyones work is looking sweet, cant wait to see how they look in a week or so.
Mindofka thats a pretty cool idea reworking it like that, looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Hopefully I will get a good amout done tomorrow and over the weekend.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6060/nymphesandsatyresm049km.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

aggie93
02-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Mindofka - As you can see from Zepy last ofdw, we do not have to exactly replicate. I love your idea. It is looking great so far. Keep posting!

Mat - Yours is coming along well.

Here is the update for tonight.

I am editing this message because I found a scanner at the hotel here in OKC.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060223shore004.jpg

Rebeccak
02-24-2006, 06:41 AM
mindofka,

Great to see your stuff! And yes, you are welcome to adapt the original painting to your own style / theme. :)

Kwyjibo,

Good start, look forward to your update! :)

Wow, Ags, what a difference a scan will make! :) A suggestion would be to get the drawing fully worked out before adding color. Are you using colored pencil?

~Rebeccak

daWinky
02-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Good morning everyone!:wavey: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Wow, I see it's not easy to keep step with the fast progress here! Everyone's doing a great job!

@ Zephyri: Very nice and your progress gifs are great and it would be cool to see more of them!

@ Xillion: It's not only that your picture looks amazing, but I'm especially envious to see your information on working time...sooo fast...

@ Glenn: I love your satyr studies! I'm already curious to watch your next experiments...

@ Matt: Great work so far, you've caught the background perfectly and I like the shading of the character...I'm not sure, but may be her head is a little too big?

@ everyone else: keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

I'm still struggling with the face and already in panic of painting the hair:scream: ...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/lavague_wip5.jpg

-sabrina

aggie93
02-24-2006, 06:45 AM
Rebecca - yes. I found a business center with a scanner here at this hotel. I cannot type however, I thougth I had the Native American beer here under control. I just drank more. Anywho! I am using color pencils. Wouldn't the 2b be overpowering?

Tipsy Ags

Wow, Ags, what a difference a scan will make! :) A suggestion would be to get the drawing fully worked out before adding color. Are you using colored pencil?

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
02-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Wow, Sabie, it looks like your 'struggles' are going well! :applause: Great update! Looking forward to seeing your updates...regarding hair, you should ask makaron! :scream:

Ags, LMAO!!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-24-2006, 06:50 AM
LMAO?! Huh? Not much into the codes except LOL.

Agssssssss

Ags, LMAO!!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

Matellis
02-24-2006, 07:25 AM
haha i noticed that too about her head! i am fixing that up now but i just realized that when i updated the last time i saved the photoshop file at the same size as my update!!! ahhhhh now i have to work at 50% smaller :( unless i find some way to revert back to a point where its bigger , dunno how thou ahhh such a headache.

But everyones updates are looking very good , loving the progress! woot!

Zapan
02-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Yay , OMG awesome Sabie !! definitely she looks alive , great work on the eyes ... So I guess you're winning the "struggle" :thumbsup: :bounce: :applause: :)

Oh and if I remember correctly I think Linda made a tutorial about painting hair ... maybe you could find something usefull there ...

Looking forward to see your progress ...
And damn , the pale skin is :thumbsup:

cheers,

-Steph ... fan of Sabie painting skills

Xillion
02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
daWinky: thanx for the compliment...I thought I was Slow :shrug: !
I should definately learn to simplyfy though.
ps.: I'm loving how your piece is turning out!

Matellis
02-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone!
Another update , so i started adding some extra stuff in now. Time to start using some of my own creativity at this point. What I want to show in this painting is that she is not affraid to be immersed in nature , seagulls maybe be flying and around but she doesnt pay it any thought. I will probly change the seagull that is there now(flying ones too) as well maybe make some changes to her gown etc, Maybe add some sea weed laying around too.

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/346/vanskecth163wy.jpg

Xillion
02-24-2006, 09:53 AM
matellis: nice addition! Let's see how it turns out ;)
mindofka: good start, it's nice to have you on board!!!

mindofka
02-24-2006, 12:18 PM
aggie23 She has a beautiful expression. looks more happy and enjoys the water :D
very nice technique
dawinky great work on the face, love th ecolour blending
matellis love how it's proceeding your interpretation, the gown is a nice touch. It looks perfect as anathomy, the waves are fantastic. Did you thought of changing her hair shape? something more alive and windy, and maybe a different colour?
xillion glad to have found this place!

I added some atmosphere, studying th elight source...I'm into underwater pieces lately..
http://www.mindofka.com/images/underwaterp.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
THANK YOU :) ......TO.. Penoy Mc Gee....daWinky....SPIRIT WIND....and Rebecca.........:)

SPIRIT WIND // Zepyhri .Really like that gift below your painting... great way to See, Learn.and
Teach....THANKS :thumbsup:

Rebecca...I think I might just do face studies on this one, a lot of great expressions going on
in this painting...I think this one was his master piece, and can't be improved upon, by me
anyway....think I will learn the most from this one, by studying the nice emotions he created
in those faces....I wonder how long it took him to paint this piece...just curious..

AMAZEING PROGRESS HAPPENING....EVERYONE.....:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Elsie
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Sam and Sabrina: Great starts so far, looking forward to seeing them develop :D

Mindofka: Wow, I am in awe - that is a completely beautiful and original interpretation! Probably the one that has caught my eye most of all in the workshop so far.

Great work everyone *feels all left out* hehe. I'll be here for sure in the next one!

SaraD
02-24-2006, 01:23 PM
It has not been a good time for me the last weeks - first the painter-crash and when that solved, with the loss of my last master-copy, the whole internet crashed on me. Now, a week later its finally solved and I can join you all again! But I obviousily missed a whole chapter (nr 13). Gonna look it up later...
Ive done a new painting using some old references from a previous thread, that you can find soon in my anatomy thread, and I love to have some feedback, though its already finished:)
Now Im gonna dig in on this one, and Im gonna make a whole lot of copies in different fileformats so Ill never loose a painting again :)

//Sara

Ego
02-24-2006, 01:37 PM
It has not been a good time for me the last weeks - first the painter-crash and when that solved, with the loss of my last master-copy, the whole internet crashed on me. Now, a week later its finally solved and I can join you all again! But I obviousily missed a whole chapter (nr 13). Gonna look it up later...

Ive done a new painting using some old references from a previous thread, that you can find soon in my anatomy thread, and I love to have some feedback, though its already finished

Now Im gonna dig in on this one, and Im gonna make a whole lot of copies in different fileformats so Ill never loose a painting again

//Sara
Welcome back Sara. Sorry you had so much trouble. And no, there was no episode 13. Our able forum leader is superstious of the number 13
despite the fact that I was born on that day! tsk! tsk. There is still plenty of time left, so jump right in.

Glenn, your face studies are quite interesting and every bit a learning journey as diving into the full figure.
You are doing a great job. If I finish my piece on time, I might just do the same.

Matt its looking fantastic. But I told you already in irc. :thumbsup: You got the background down pat. That bit is scaring me silly.
I've never painted water before :p

Sabrina: Awesome detail, girl! *jaw drops to floor.
Verdell: good to see you again and nice going with your copy :)

Enrico: I am watching your piece take shape in an awesome way.
Everybody, great job so far *claps

SpiritDreamer
02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
SaraD....:thumbsup: ......Can't wait to see your new studies...ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL...:)

Queen Soul....THANK YA...#12 that last one kind of drained me...emotionally,...really like the
theme of this one..... much better for my SPIRIT...:)
Water is one of the funest things to paint...full of energy and movement..try it ..you'll love it..:bounce:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Zephyri
02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
oh wow, some gorgeous work guys!
Aggie, keep going with that... try building your colour layers up gently if you're working with pencil, eventually you'll start covering the tooth of the sketchpad paper.
Matt.. coming on nicely, though she looks very green.. is that intentional? I could almost see her as a mermaid with skin like that. Sabine, good lord, that's gorgeous, I love how you've handled the softness of her face, and her eyes look like they've jumped right out of an old master's painting, lovely lucidity.
Mindofka... lovely interpretation, are you influenced by japanese comics/animations? Your wok has an almost Miyazaki look too it, especially with the lovely colour scheme, can't wait to see how this progresses.

Xillion
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
1.Hour.More

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9528/nymphesetsatyre68zu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

this is going to take ages...!!!

Rebeccak
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Xillion,

Wow, this is looking great!!! :bounce:BTW, are you using a grid? I don't care, I just think it's great that everything is looking so well~placed! Personally, I couldn't do that without a grid. Great job!!! :cool:

~Rebeccak

Xillion
02-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Actually i'm not using a grid but I'm working side by side with the original image. That's how my workspace is organized:

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1122/workspace8cw.th.jpg (http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=workspace8cw.jpg)

I have a bitmap mask on my painting layer so I don't have to think about where my brush strokes land (on the original painting).
The original painting is on the background layer.
I vector-masked both my painting and a copy of the original so I can work a zoomed in view side by side(see the picture to see what I mean)
I have a 19'' philips monitor and an A5 Intuos 3 tablet.
and...as you can see in the picture my colors are off...lol.

Rebeccak
02-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Cool, thanks Xillion. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks Zepyhri, that layering is harder than it seems. I had some time during lunch to get this much more done. Now I have to go back to class. I will try to get another in before tonight. Now that I have found a scanner in the lobby, I have all the staff keeping up with my progress too.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060224shore.jpg

Matellis
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Xillion- Thanks for the comment and I hope these changes wont ruin the painting lol. And your painting is coming along nicely too , Im also not using a grid , so some proportions i think are not right with mine hehe( i did make the head smaller in my last update). But yours is coming along very nice. Its good to work out the whole painting equally like your doing :) keep it up!

Mindofka- Thanks for then nice comment! I think i will change the hair of the girl , not much thou, I will make it look wet like she has constantly being hit by waves while posing for a long time. And I am also trying to get the wet look with her gown but its proving harder than I thought. So more reference seaching!!
I just checked out your website yesterday and I must say your art is nothing short of great. Also your peice here is very nice , im digging your changes to the original a lot and looking forward to more updates.

Zepyhri- Thank you :) no it is not my plan to make her green , just the colors i am choosing are mixing and doing that ahhh so i have to rework the color a lot more, at first i was using colors to paint her and then i realized they were not right so i turned her into a gray scale and have an overlay color layer for her, but the background is all painted with color and no overlay as well as her hair.

Aggie- yours is coming along nice! I really like how your going far with the triditional approch.

Everyone is doing a great job and I am finding this workshop very fun and educational , I may have to do this more often.

Cheers

vnikolov
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, someone has been working - don't you guys have a day job :eek: ..
Just kidding :applause: ..
@DaWinky, Mattelis, Gord, Zephyri, pushav and everyone else - great work, keep it up..
@mindofka - I love the way your interpretation is coming along..
@Spirit Dreamer - allways a pleasure to see you in action..
@Xillion - awsome, but I allready told you that:thumbsup: ..

I had to take a couple of days off, due to some heavy office work (gotta go to work during the weekend too *yuck*, but I'll try to sneak up earlier tommorow to paint some more)..
Here's my next image - a color study..
I find it extremely difficult to paint human skin and never thought it'll be THAT tough..
I've been laying dozens of colors (all kinds of pink, beige, brown, blue and so on and so on :D ) one over another at low opacity in order to achieve some sattisfying results and still can't seem to get it quite right..
But non the less I feel good about it - I've been learning soooo much doing that "exercize"..

http://static.flickr.com/35/103937879_2d61cd9c2c_o.jpg

Matellis
02-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Looking good so far!
no job for me , but i did just apply for a carpentry job and a fish plant job , hopefully i get one of the 2.

I have to start some concept sketches for the colab battle tonight so it maybe a few days before i post up any updates

ericyeo
02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Studying skin tone and the waves are in a mess..
Sorry about the head. I'll block it off becos distracting me and cant stay in forcus.I always enjoy painting Head and face they are my favourites, I'll leave it last to paint..
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ericyeo/wave/wave3.jpg

Rebeccak
02-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Matellis,

Good luck with the job search! :thumbsup:

ericyeo,

This is coming along well! Her left leg in particular is looking great! :thumbsup: What are the squares? :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
02-25-2006, 04:31 PM
The squares? I adjusted the brightness and contrast and made the background darker. And those square are copy emerged before I make the changes. hee

Rebeccak
02-25-2006, 04:32 PM
:D Heh, cool. Just curious. :) I guess I did make that suggestion, lol. :D :)

Cheers, ;)

~Rk

Matellis
02-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Cnikolov , thats coming along very nice , the shading so far is A1!

WOW! Eric thats look great! its coming along very nice! and that foot is so well done i cant stop looking at it!

cheers!

Xillion
02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, not a true update...I just applied an eyeballed curves command to come closer to the painting's original colors (for what is possible at my current stage of development). I lost some of the reds in the dark areas of the foliage but I will add them at a later stage.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5273/nymphesetsatyre74vy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SpiritDreamer
02-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi....Ericyeo....:)

You might try putting more muted purple grey pinks into the sky and the water behind the big
forground wave....the pink will give the painting warmth and make the colors more vibrant.
There are also a lot of pinks in the figure also,... they are in the pink and gold reflections on her from the sand and rock, which gets it's pink from the sky..which is where the water also gets it's pinks........ muted pink is the unifying color in this painting, and is what creates it's
beautiful vibrant temperture, and is the color that keeps her from looking like a corpse in a
nearly frozen ocean....Winslow Homer
TAKE CARE
GLENN

pocanman
02-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi All! I've been a long time lurker here in CG talk. :D Anyway, I decided to try out this workshop. Hopefully I can find the drive to finish my copy. Comments and criticisms are very welcome :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/pocanman/Nymphes_et_satyre_1.jpg

Mu
02-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Xillion! this is freaking awesome. If you finish this it will be a master's copy...hehe harhar

:D

Rebeccak
02-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Xillion,

Great work so far! :thumbsup:

pocanman,

Welcome aboard! :) I think you've got a great start here, and I look forward to seeing your next update! :)

Mr. Mu,

Hmm, so finished with the Storyboarding Challenge now, areya? Time for a little Bouguereau action, then? :wise: :D

~Rebeccak

reflectedfight
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Bah - i still need to get started on this...

Xillon thats looking really good mate --- i like the way you are bringing the whole thing up!

Is using a grid the same as gridding a drawing for transfer rebecca??

Rebeccak
02-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Gavin: Is using a grid the same as gridding a drawing for transfer rebecca??
Yup! :thumbsup:

SaraD
02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Ive started!! Finding some colors to work from, and trying to work in a style with more structure, this is how far I am at the moment. To not end up in the same "dead-end" as i did with the last one - backgroundwork for soo long I got bored with the whole painting before I got to the main characters - Im gonna jump back and forth on this one :wise:
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/WIP/LaVague_002.JPG

Rebeccak
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Great to see you back in action, SaraD! :thumbsup: Looking good so far, I'm sure this will be another masterpiece! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

aggie93
02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey y'all, Everyone is going strong it seems. I am going to stop here with the nude beach and go to the nymphs. I have a great idea and I want to start it before I forget. Here is the Shore:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/Shore.jpg

ericyeo
02-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi....Ericyeo....:)

You might try putting more muted purple grey pinks into the sky and the water behind the big
forground wave....the pink will give the painting warmth and make the colors more vibrant.
There are also a lot of pinks in the figure also,... they are in the pink and gold reflections on her from the sand and rock, which gets it's pink from the sky..which is where the water also gets it's pinks........ muted pink is the unifying color in this painting, and is what creates it's
beautiful vibrant temperture, and is the color that keeps her from looking like a corpse in a
nearly frozen ocean....Winslow Homer
TAKE CARE
GLENN

Hi Spirit Dreamer, I was wondering why are there gold, pink, bluish and green on the skin? I think the colors make sense to me now. Thank you. :D

no updates today. Busy busy. :D

Matellis, Thank you. Urs looking great looking. I love her face very much :D

Matellis
02-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey everyone !! all the updates are looking great :)

Here is an update of mine , i was just looking through the pages this morning and i realized that vnikolov did a sketch with the girl with a dress on, and i didnt even realize that mine looked a lot like there sketch so i decided i should change it ( lol i thought the inspiration must have come from somewhere)

So i made her hair wet , and put almost a ballroom dancing dress on her (thou shes kind of in the middle of having it half off) but that wont be the final dress , just did something quick to see if it works well
hope everyone likes it and keep all the updates coming :)

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4545/vanskecth188wi.jpg

ericyeo
02-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Matellis: that's looking great!:thumbsup:

Maladie
02-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm totally new here, just subscribed today...I wonder if it's too late for me to just hop in on this?
I'm very much a beginner, but this seems like a GREAT way to work on developing a feel for composition, colour, anatomy, all at the same time!

As soon as I've found out how to post images (must follow tut I already found) I'll start on the girl on the beach. I hope y'all don't mind I join in at this advanced stage. I have loads of time now, so I'll just be painting non stop:scream:.

I'll try a first post tomorrow, bye!

Xillion
02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Maladie: it's never too late to join the party! ;) Welcome on board!!!

Bpanting
02-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Well here is my small update so far. Its going a lot slower then I would like. I am thinking about dropping out of this one, and maybe trying one of the earlier ones, or something easier to start with. I might still mess with it a little more and see how it goes.

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/4536/nymphesandsatyresm058kg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rebeccak
02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Matellis,

WOW, fantastic work here! :applause: Everything is shaping up beautifully, and I think it's great that you've created a bit of improvisation, besides! :thumbsup:

The one thing I would say is that her skin looks a bit gray. You might try livening it up a bit and making her skin a bit more luminous. Apart from that, however, you're totally on the right track, and blazing the trail for sure! :arteest:

Maladie,

You're definitely welcome here! At least 2~3 more weeks to go, so you've plenty of time! :)

Kwyjibo,

This is a really tough painting to start out with, and usually for beginners, I recommend starting out with a limited value pallette of just white, gray, and black. Did I post those links before, or make that recommendation? My apologies, as I'm getting a bit mentally fuzzy in my old age. :D I think you've got a good start, but if you wanted to choose a figure from a previous OFDW, and post your work here along with the group, I think that's great! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Bpanting
02-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I recommend starting out with a limited value pallette of just white, gray, and black.

Thats a really good idea. I might try that. I am also going to go thru some of the previous OFDW, and see what they were like. Thanks :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Kwyjibo,

No problem! Always more fun to work in a group. :)

You probably know this, but all OFDWs are linked here:

Open Figure Drawing Workshops with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2602753&postcount=3)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2602753&postcount=3

Here's a limited pallette / grayscale painting tutorial (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436) I put together based on a previous OFDW:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436

And a number of other tutorials are listed here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2606755&postcount=10

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Refining and also experimenting
Added eyeball, worked on nose
Gave him more hair, air and wind.
And older horns to go with his age better.
Goats horns curl as the goat gets older.
Also did another color study.
Really nice work so far everyone.
Can't wait to see these finished. Should be great.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_28.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_32.jpg

Rebeccak
02-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Glenn,

I think that you are really on to something cool with this piece! I would love to see you develop the entire piece this way ~ beautiful work! :applause:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
02-28-2006, 04:57 AM
THANK YOU .....Rebecca...:)
I was thinking of doing the whole painting,and am still tempted...will take me longer than the
time for this exercise I think...but would be worth it, in the long run...a lot to be learned from
this one...great and beautiful painting...I think you may have just puhed me again LOL!!
IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OF COURSE....THANKS AGAIN Rebecca....AS I CHECK FOR BRUISES.:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

daWinky
02-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Morning everyone!:)

Great to see that the group is still growing!
Vnikolov, nice start, your skin tone study is beautiful!
SaraD, good to see you here, I don't know how you do it, but the little part of skin you've worked on is already looking very convincing and alive to me...
Xillion, your picture is just blowing me away...and what is the "eyeballed curves command"!? Anyways, the result is amazing.
Mindofka, great interpretation of the pic, I'm looking forward to see where you're going!
Wonderful work around here...everyone's working hard, keep on!:thumbsup:

I've only little progress here, still focusing on the head, a bit of the background and hair, far away from happy with these hairs...and the face still needs some work...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/daWinky/lavague_wip6.jpg
Have all a nice day!

-sabrina

Xillion
02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
...and what is the "eyeballed curves command"!?

Within Photoshop you have the ability to correct most of the aspect of an image. "Curves" is probably the most powerful adjustment command you can use. There are two versions of the command. The first version applies directly to the image and is located in Image->Adjustments->Curves (Alt+M). The second one is inside Layer->new adjustment layer->Curves, it creates a layer that affects everything that's below it or, if the previous layer is used as a clipping mask, it affects that layer. In my opinion the best way to use curves is the second as you can also use a mask to define the area of effect of the layer.
So, what curves does ? It gives you the possibility to alter a pixel output in terms of value (per channell or globally).

To see what I mean look at the image below.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3584/levels3ya.jpg

I wanted to enhance the contrast of the image on the right (the original image, on layer 2).

To create the curve level, Alt+click the small black and white circle icon at the bottom of the layers panel and select "Curves...". A windows pops up, check the "Use previous layer as a clipping mask" to affect only the current working layer.
Then edit the points on the curve. To add a point to the curve just move the cursor on the desired pixel on the image and Ctrl+Alt+Click. As you can see I sampled points one (a bright point on her breast) and two (a point in the shadow) and then added them to my curves as explained before. In the lower part of the curves dialog you can see two boxes (input and output). To make the pixel (sample 2) darker (in the three channels) I just lowered the point's output value form 54 to 27 (there are a number of ways to do this, by mouse, with the keyboard, etc...). I did the same to sample 1 rising it's value thus brightening it. Photoshop interpolates between the points you add to the curve, so every pixel is altered in the process (so you don't have to sample/adjust every point...). In this case what you have is called an S curve (used a lot in photography) which enhances contrast.

You can add as many points as you want to the curve and this gives you lots of control. You can also edit a points value in a specific channel (select the desired channel from the list of the top of the curves ddialog). If you want to limit the area of effect of the curves command just edit it's associated mask.

So, what's an eyeballed curves command? Usually what you want to do when you edit / retouch a photo is to sample points (on the source image), add the corresponding points from the destination image to the curve and edit their numerical values to have precise control on the output of the destination image (to have a perfect match, for example). Instead I just selected some points on my image, not sampling on the original image,and moved them around on the curve... so I just had to "guess" what kind of adjustments I had to do to come closer to the original colors.

ps.: the reference image was painted by Todd Lockwood, one of my favourite artists ;)

daWinky
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Ah, yes, I guessed something like this...great in depth explanation, thank you Enrico:) , very helpful for me!

-sabrina

Maladie
02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Okay, I did a little sketch for an hour or so. Please keep in mind I've never sketched that much before...tried to pay attention to the shapes and alignment of everything.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/rava1981/La%20Vague/lavague.jpg

This is where I need HELP!:) I worked on a coloured background because I read the whole thread and it was recommended. It's just...where do I go from here? Do I make rough blocks of colour on a layer beneath the sketch? Erase the sketch? Or just start painting with a big brush? I wouldn't much like to do grayscale, don't know why. But if I must I will.

If anybody has some time to spare, I would immensely appreciate tips and comments. I loved doing this so far! My only problem is my monitor has broken down on me!!:banghead: I only see all these weird reds and blues now...so maybe my colours are off:).
Thanx so much guys!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Everyone and I mean everyone, has a different way of working. Blocks of colors, hatched lines of color, anything you want. What I would suggest first is putting down the darkest color you can find in the figure as the base color and painting over that with a smaller brush, building the values- put in the lightest areas and the darkest areas first, then...blend.

Have fun!

Xillion
02-28-2006, 01:57 PM
The steps you take from now on are really up to your taste.
Some of the tecniques you can use are:
Underpainting (fondo): pick up a dark colour (which color depends on the image, to paint skin you can use greens, blues and earth colors) and paint the image with it, you will have a monochromatic version of the image apply colors to. This is the most old and most efficient way I know to paint, cause this way you can concentrate on value and think about color at a later stage (doing it digitally is easier 'cause you don't have to match the final color values with that of the underpainting). You actually paint the picture two times.

Priming (Imprimitura) (well, or sort of..) : you lay on the canvas the main colors in the scene. Just squint your eyes and look at the main masses, lay down the masses and the colors you see. It's up to you to decide if you want to average to the darker tones or middle tones. Build the scene by brightening and darkening those middle tones where appropriate. Priming is most useful to give unity to the scene and use glazing.

At the moment I can't recall any other classical tecnique.
but a few advices are:
Paint in layers. This way you can move things around and apply filters to layers if something goes wrong. You can even erase part of the painting without the annoyance of what's near/under. When you are happy about your image, flatten it. This will reduce the layer number (they can eat up a lot of memory)
Keep it consistent. Once you choose a method don't change it.
Zoom in and out periodically,and check things out (proportions, balance, colors) the big picture is most important than details (though usually we get lost in details)
In my opinion we should use all sort of digital trickery we can to achieve the best result.Cheating oneself is stupid, making the most out of the tools we have is wise.
Take a look around the site and find goro's brushes, they can be useful (if you want to learn to use textured brushes). Inside that collection there is one useful brush called linda_fav, you can use it to paint and blend at the same time.

About brushes: the only brush needed is the hard round, everything else can only speed up your work, but as a rule of thumb if you know how to do things with that brush anything is good.

Visit the speed paint thread frequently, there is a lot to learn about simplifying there!!! Check out mat's speed paints, goro's, bin's, zhuzhu's, zed yang etc...

well...there's a lot to say but...
the most important thing is...never give up! ;) (look who's talking...heheh)

aggie93
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Ok here is my start with the Nymphs. (Sorry for the picture)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060227Nymphs.jpg

I am going to go a different direction with this. Does anyone know where I can find picts of female demons? You can always find masculine demons but I need to get some ideas for this picture.

Xillion
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
aggie: try googling the word "succubus" I saw a few interesting illustrations.

SpiritDreamer
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi ....daWinky // Sabrina....:bounce: ...... GREAT FACE...BEAUTIFUL COLOR WORK and EYES...:thumbsup:
You might try putting some wind in her hair...usually a lot of wind along the surf...:)
TAKE CARE
GLENN

Maladie
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Progressing...very slowly. Update:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/rava1981/lavague2.jpg

Thanks very much Xillion and Paperclip. I'm sort of trying out different things...it's cool (forgot to eat:)).

Matellis
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Maladie- WOW , thats some amazing color blending you got going on there! me likes very much , keep up the good work ;)

Zapan
02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
WOW Sabie , That's freakly impressive !!

you're doing an awesome job on that lady , especially appreciate the work on her hair !!

just wow ! ... keep up the great work :bounce:

cheers ,

-Steph

aggie93
02-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Xillian - Thanks for the name. I never knew the folklore that was behind that. It is falling in great with what I want to do. However, not enough detailed art work to work from. To me they look like beautiful women with bat wings.

Mal - looking good.

Maladie
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
@Matellis: thanx! I like your work too, especially since you painted in that bloodred dress. Gives it an extra interest imo! By the way, my 'blender' is the smudge tool with specific brush settings. Nicked this of a tut by Nebezial here on CGtalk. Can post link if you like?

I'm such a nerd I'm updating again. Fear not, I interact with humans too - just not today:).
Looking forward to seeing everybody's new stuff. This is so inspiring! jeeeee
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/rava1981/La%20Vague/lavague3.jpg

SpiritDreamer
02-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone
Rebecca:
Woke up this morning and decided, What the hell, might as well go for it. LOL
Started with the satyr's face and just started painting my way outward from there.
Also did a real quick color and light study at the end to see if I could make it work.
Should be an interesting experiment, I think.
And will definitely put me to the test.
I love to explore new frontiers, you know,
Thanks for the push. :)
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_40.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_42.jpg

Maladie
02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
@Matellis: forgot to ask: how do you paint that water so convincingly? Mine's 'smoochy'.

@Spirit Dreamer: YES! The nymphs as 'ghost smoke', totally blown away by it!!

Matellis
03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Maladie- its hard to explain the strokes i made , but I did make my own brushes for the water and that helped me huge for making the misty effect for the top of the waves .

pocanman
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
To Spirit Dreamer: Wow! thats great stuff! :thumbsup:

To Xillian: I really like your work. I also learned a few things from your techniques, like laying the reference side by side with your work and using masks.

To Matellis: You have a very cool avatar! :D

I'm not good at working with color, so I start with a grayscale version first. But this is becoming a real challenge for me now, there are so many figures. I should have copied the other one. :eek: hehe.

Here's my work so far:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/pocanman/Nymphes_et_satyre_2.jpg

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Nice work everyone! Sorry for being a bit tardy, but have been busy with the Challenge and such, but it looks like everyone is doing a great job, and I'm excited to see what next week brings! :bounce:

Keep up the awesome work guys and gals!!!

~Rebeccak

Bpanting
03-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Well here is my new and "improved" version. I decided to take Rebeccak's advice and try doing it in grayscale first (thanks for that tip by the way). I like this version a lot better so far then the last attempt. Still having a hard time trying to get the blending correct, but I will keep at it. I dont think I will have this one done by the deadline but if I can finish it I will be happy. Everyones work is looking really good by the way, look forward to seeing the updates. :buttrock:

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/9184/nymphesandsatyresm064ed.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sweet 400th post :applause:

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
*bump*

***+++***

Maladie
03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Kwyjibo, looking good! I'm very much a beginner myself, but my blending got a lot better from using the 'super blender' Nebezial recommends in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=259286&page=34&pp=15

Maybe that helps? Made my life better:D.

Did more work on the lady. Head looks weird, but I cant figure out why. By the way, if I'm posting too often just tell me:), right now I'm using this as a way to keep motivated and going. But am not sure how all this works quite yet:shrug:.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/rava1981/La%20Vague/lavague4.jpg

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Maladie,

You're doing a great job, and WIP is absolutely encouraged! You're talking to the WIP queen, so no need to feel as though you are posting too much. :) I agree, doing so keeps us all motivated! Looking great, and looking forward to seeing further progress. :)

~Rebeccak

Xillion
03-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey guys! did you see a new CgChallenge has started? I think I'll slow down this workshop for a while (as I already did for my exams) to partecipate to the competition. I think I'll continue this piece during the breaks. Best of luck to all the challengers and keep up the good work here!

Gord-MacDonald
03-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Some really cool work developing! Good going folks :thumbsup:

Xillion - I like your work method (and work)

just got back to it tonight - working in photoshop now. I intend to add colour once I have got the tone down.

http://cg2020.com/111_MASTERCOPY/MC_14/2006Feb24_MC_14c.jpg

Gord

Pinoy McGee
03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
My update on page 6 here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3266060#post3266060) (you may have to scroll down a bit to my post).

------
Matellis - beautiful waves (wip in page 8); <sees update on pg 11> OMG! Extra challenge for yourself eh :) Interested to find out (in upcoming wips) how well you'll match the lighting of the "modifications" with the environment.

Mindofka - beautiful opening sketch on pg 8

aggie93 - lovely pencils; you elongated her proportion a little bit, but you still preserve her beauty

Spirit Dreamer - Hey, I like the b & w version a lot (pg 12 wip). Should be also as interesting if you do a Rembrandt lighting/warm toned version for the head.

daWinky - very good capture of her mood (pg 12); Her nose, the way you have it right now, is pretty strong (for a lack of a better word). Especially the septum area. Her eyes are super but for me her high definition nose is taking some of that attention away. Maybe the effect won't be as intense when you post a wip with a full shot of the figure (as opposed to a close up). Good job with the skin tones.

Xillion - hope you can finish it someday soon :sad:

Gord - Greyscale and gestures are looking pretty good.

aggie93
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Pinoy - Thanks. I noticed the torso but it was too late, so I left it and finished it out

Xillion - Thanks for the site. I never knew all that. I read about the various succubus. I like to have some history or at least subject to my works. I am taking the Nymphs and Satyre and converting it to the Succubus and Incubus. The different Succubus will be dragging the Incubus into the lake of fire. Below is my study on Allu, an offspring of the succubus. They are faceless. However, I am having problems with this. I would like some facial expression so I am having facial feature without orifaces. How can I create the flatter softer nose? I have seen it before but I am having a problem recreating it from memory. Any sites to this?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/Allu.jpg

SpiritDreamer
03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi.... Gord....:wavey: :)

Really nice job on this one so far....captured the motion, emotion and values nicely...:thumbsup:

Pinoy Mc Gee....THANKS.....I have a couple of versions with Rembrant colors saved
still experimenting...:)

Aggie....PROGRRAAAAMMMMEEEEEDDDDDD.......SEX AND VIOLENCE... SYNDROME...MANIA
Symptoms....take something beautiful....turn ugly.....turn pleasure into pain..
Cure....LOVE...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

aggie93
03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Spirit - Sorry!? I didn't mean to step on toes with this. I wanted to shake it up. Tired of just copying. I know I need to work on my artistic ability by reproducing masters but there comes a time when you need to spread your wings. If this bothers everyone, I will not post here. It will go on my anatomy thread for those interested.

Ags

SpiritDreamer
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Aggie....nothing bothers me....seen it all...and it's not my call.....what does bother me
though, ....is that it does not bother you...to each his own I guess.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hmm, not sure what's going on here, but I'm king of surprised to see Glenn bothered by interpretation ;) ~

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Aggie,

Please never feel that your work is not welcome here or anywhere else on the Anatomy Forum. :) You are more than welcome to interpret the work in any way you choose (as Glenn did so nicely with the last OFDW). ;)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Hi ...Rebecca and Aggie....:)

Feel free to interpret what I say any way you like...I don't think it is cool to have
sex + or = violence....that's all I see happening in the mediums of todays intertainment
Can't have sex without violence included in the act, and when there is sex without violence,
it's called porno....mind contol in the first degree..
Any one else out there bothered by this peversion, just curious...
or is it just me + mrs SPIRIT DREAMER.
Aggie feel free to paint whatever you feel like painting...like Rebecca says...just make sure
it has nothing to do with porno, or politics or the real world.
Just my personel feelings being expressed here...that's what art and artist tend to do....:)
Study Goya...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Glenn,

Mentioning 'porn' in this context is uncalled for, don't you think? By no means do I wish to belabor the point ~ we are of course all entitled to our own opinions ~ but so much of your own work involves making fantasy worlds, and I've seen work of your own with horns, etc...how does anyone's use of horns in their work = porno?

At any rate, I don't think this needs to be discussed further. I would have concerns if someone's work was blatantly disrespectful to the artist or the person being depicted, but I certainly don't see that as being the case here. You yourself seemed to really be inspired by the darker elements of the last Bouguereau piece, creating your own elaborations...I don't see why Aggie shouldn't be allowed to do the same. :shrug:

Anyway...I think you've upset Aggie, and that's not the purpose of us working here together. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

aggie93
03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
My last reply on this subject. That was never my intent. My understanding on the Nymphs and the Satyre is they are based off of love from both sexes. This is a painting of non violence, that is your definition of porno. I am not changing the scene, I am changing the characters based off of their descriptions they are the demon side of the same characters. There is your sex and violence. There is a fine line between figurative arts and pornographic material. It is a little more up front in today's society. I think when you do what has been going on in these forums it is all interpretation. It was not like I was putting them into the act. I do have morals. You would not know that for not knowing me personally. I am upset on this matter but I will get over it. That is your opinion of what you were basing your conclusion on the above attached study of Allu. I haven't even put my study to the overall drawing yet. This has really taken it out of me. Sorry this came to arguing.

Happy drawing everyone.

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Hmm, let's not discuss this further. I would hate to lose the valuable contributions here of either Aggie or Glenn...we so rarely argue here, and I certainly don't want to continue this discussion further.

For the record: interpretation in the OFDWs is fine and is encouraged ~ this is stated in the rules.

Let's cool off a bit and then come back to the Workshop without worrying about this, shall we? :)

Regards to all,

~Rebeccak

Matellis
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey everyone , I havent been working on the master copy the last few days , I entered the 2D & 3D challenge so i have been working on those :)

Glenn- I really like your painting so far , The different style is adding a bit of spice to it :)

Pocanman- Yours is coming along really nicely , i will be following very closely , Keep it up!

Bryan- Its coming along good but something about the guys face doesnt seem right to me although i cant really put my finger on what it is so im no help. Keep it up! me want updates! hehe

Maladie- wow didnt you just join this workshop yesterday! hehe jk its looking awesome , i could look at the color blending for hours! keep it up! lovin it.

Gord- Looking awesome man , when i look at your painting my eyes go right to the middel girls beautiful face :) keep em coming!

Aggie- I really like what your doing with this painting , I know what you mean about adding your own personal flavour to it , I find it keeps me working hard when i have some creative freedom. My only crit is that the top of the head is too high , maybe bring down the back of the head a bit , i dunno if this will help :)
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/518/allured9lu.jpg

Sorry if i missed everyone but im like a chicken with its head cut off over here

Cheers!

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 08:58 PM
By the way, I think everyone here is doing an amazing job, and I would encourage anyone to enter the Challenge ~ just for fun! :)

For those of you who haven't visited, here is the Challenge page:

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/

Good luck to matellis and all who enter! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

SaraD
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Not much, but some progress :) Im trying to work with more texture this time. Am I succeding?

Its really cool to see how so many of you are starting to interpret the paintings in your own way, and adding that little extra, wether its horn, dress or filtermanips. It gives extra depth to the original painting - that we can see the same motive in so many different ways!
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/WIP/LaVague_003.JPG

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Very cool work SaraD! Exciting to see your progress! :thumbsup: Will you be entering the Challenge? That would be a lot of fun! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Matellis
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
WOW! Sara the face is amazing , i would love to see a close up!!!

I was playing around with the idea that the girl was in modern times , tattoos and fashion, but i didnt post it cuz i wasnt going to keep it , but ahhh here it is :)

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1045/vanskecth192mc.jpg

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *gasps* haaaaaaaaahahahaha! That's hilarious! :scream: :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

aggie93
03-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Mat - Thanks. This is actually a seperate sheet of paper that I was practicing on to get my idea on paper. I haven't applied it yet to my master sheet. I need help with the nose.

Ags

Aggie- I really like what your doing with this painting , I know what you mean about adding your own personal flavour to it , I find it keeps me working hard when i have some creative freedom. My only crit is that the top of the head is too high , maybe bring down the back of the head a bit , i dunno if this will help :)

Mu
03-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Matellis - I had to clean my monitor several times today because I read so many funny things that I spat all over it.

But this just takes the cake.

:scream:

*calms down*
*takes another look*

:scream:

SpiritDreamer
03-03-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi...Aggie.....SORRY...just some misplaced anger from me....saw some art elsewhere, that
crossed my moral line, and you ended up catching the anger it created in me..FORGIVE ME..
You know I really like myths, demons, battle between light and dark forces ect., and am always
interested in the creation of new myths, wheather made up from curent events, or fragments
pieced together from ancient thoughts and stories.
After thinking about your idea, and studying your drawing more, I think it is a GREAT IDEA...:thumbsup:
Was wondering if you have ever read Joseph Campbell's ..THE POWER OF MYTH..If not, I
think you would really enjoy it...brings a lot of universal visions and thoughts to mind.
He put a life time of research, exploreing the whole planet in search of myths...GREAT READING.
Looking forward to the progress on your work....for the features you might find a simaler face, or just piece together features you like from different faces, creating a whole and new face.
just a thought..:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

redjesus
03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
hi, i've been meaning to get back into, or actually just getting into really, a better regimen of drawing and figured this would be as good a place as any to start, though i might be getting in a bit over my head. but anyways here is my initial sketch. since it's the beginning i sketched pretty lightly, so the scanner didn't pick it up too well but i don't think anybody's missing out on anything.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/theredjesus/CGTalk/OFDW14_01.jpg

Matellis
03-03-2006, 12:13 PM
hehe thanks for the nice comments Rebecca and Mr.Mu. i think i will update the master copy on the weekend :)

Hey matt good to see you taking part in the forums , and this is a great place to brush up your skills and talk to some nice people, I have learned so much since i have started posting on cgtalk.

I am really digging your sketch! nothing to crit so far just keep up the good work :)

Maladie
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Hello, I'm so glad everybody's on good terms again!

Mattellis, thanx!! *blushes* The more I look at this painting the more I am in awe. This guy is INCREDIBLE with colours. I wonder how long it took him, and if a girl really posed naked for him on the beach. And the hands! And the hair! And...*does ecstatic dance in crammed apartment and falls into priceless vase*

I'm having trouble with the background, though. I use the blender but that makes it look very blurry. And if I do regular strokes with the basic brush, it looks like 'hey look, coloured stripes on a computer screen!'

Can anyone enlighten me on these brushes?

Matellis
03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Maladie! yeah the painting is very stunning, Amazing talent for sure :)

I dunno if this will help you but when I did the backgound for my painting I just made a custom brush and it seemed to work out alright , here is a picture of the brush that i made , nothing special but it worked out alright :)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2552/waterbrush4kp.jpg

svegetal
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
don't know if still time left but, i'm join to

Maladie
03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Matt, cool, now I understand what you mean. I'm gonna try that asap, have to work, blegh, probably update sunday. Goodluck everyone!

ericyeo
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Matellis: interesting custom brush.
Great work everyone!! :D

Update: Her face is lovely. I'm loving it :D
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ericyeo/wave/wave4.jpg

Rebeccak
03-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Glenn,

Thanks. :)

redjesus,

Welcome aboard! :) Nice start here! I really like your blocking in, it's quite a good way to go about doing things. Looking forward to your progress! :)

Matellis,

I'm sure the update will be great! :thumbsup:

tiago barcellos pereira,

Welcome aboard! There are at least 2 weeks and possibly 3 left in the Workshop, so jump right in! :)

Maladie,

Looking forward to your update too! :)

ericyeo,

Looking great so far! Keep going! :)

Cheers, ;)

~Rebeccak

aggie93
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Glen - Thanks. I accept your appology.:thumbsup: Forgive me for directing any anger towards you. Thank you for your input and resources, too. It didn't take me long before I was back on the drawing board working on this, however, I was reluctant to post on this thread until now.

Reb - Thank for being the mediator.:beer:

Red J.:curious: - Your construction is looking great. Is it traditional? The only thing I see, and it is because I have been working on it recently, is the satyre's chest direction. It appears he may not be twisted correctly.

Here is my update on the master copy. I haven't decided to change anything yet.:hmm: I can still work on the overall and change before rendering.:arteest:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060302Nymphc.jpg

Rebeccak
03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Glad to see you back, Aggie! :thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone
Worked on the foreground figures
Also did a light study
Thinking about making scene with Rembrandt/Caravaggio style of lighting
Just by picking out the bare essentials with light
This might give the painting a whole different feeling
Add more mystery maybe
Will be a fun and also a learning experiment
And won't totally change the eccence of the theme in the process
Which is my goal for this particular painting.
Take Care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_48.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Satyr_49.jpg

Rebeccak
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Woo, beautiful work Glenn!! This may be my favorite of yours so far! :D

SpiritDreamer
03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
THANKS....Rebecca...Amazeing what a little pushing and shoving can accomplish hey...
Thanks for being such a great teacher, and for your expert guidance along the way...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Rebeccak
03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Hehe, thanks Glenn. :)

SpiritDreamer
03-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Aggie....:)

You might want to concentrate on his armpit area...a lot of tension and energy expressed
in that little area...key to the pulling action....have someone pull on your own arm, and you
will be able to get a better feel for the muscles that are working when that action takes place
Most of them converge around the armpit and shoulder area....
You might also increase the arch of his back...another reaction created by muscles to resist
the pull....YOUR DRAWING IS LOOKING GOOD...to make it even better...get into the gestures
yourself....will give you a better understanding, and feeling for the muscles as they work in
the gesture ....hope this help a little...

TAKE CARE
Glenn

redjesus
03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
hey everybody, thanks for the comments and critiques so far.

matellis - just wanted to say your water looks amazing, especially your capturing the essence of it over the sand, just wow

aggie - (as for the name, i'm a redhead and used to have long hair, and i wear sandals all the time, so people started calling me the red jesus, i'm not trying to do any self deification or anything :D) as for your picture, the only things i can see are that the satyr's left arm where the shoulder meets the arm seems a bit too skinny, as does the middle girl's right arm relative to the width of her body, other than that it's looking really good so far, does my update fix his torso any?

for this update i started doing some heavier line work to define the edges a bit, i'm definitely going to blend them in later so it'll be more natural looking, i just like to set more of a boundary for my shading

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/theredjesus/CGTalk/OFDW14_02.jpg

aggie93
03-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Here is an update from this morning. Stuck at home with a sick kid.

Thanks Red, I will work on that. On dial up, slow, check on yours at work later.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060303Nymphs001.jpg

redjesus
03-04-2006, 12:29 AM
this is about the time i begin to attack my drawing's potential like a rabid dog.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/theredjesus/CGTalk/OFDW14_03.jpg

Pinoy McGee
03-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Updated my page 6 post with a study here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3266060#post3266060). (may have to scroll down a bit)

---------

Kwyjibo: I actually like that first wip image of yours on pg 8. The flat colors remind me of the painter Matisse.

vnikolov: Good job so far getting that creamy skin tone on your wip on pg 10. Blue background complements it pretty good.

SaraD: thumbsup so far re: your wip on pg 14. Your getting her likeness pretty close to the original.

ericyeo: I see that you're closing in on Bouguereau's original value scale for the painting (compared to your initial wip). The red of her lips are oversaturated though on my monitor re: your wip on pg 15. But I suspect you're aware of that already.

redjesus: Hey, charming face on your center nymph for wip on pg 16. Impressive that you got her look with graphite (or charcoal?). Keep it up, looking forward to your progress.

aggie93
03-04-2006, 05:01 PM
I do not know why I cannot resize this scan. So I will just leave you the link: I need help with color pencils, anyone?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060303Nymphs.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060303Nymphs.jpg

redjesus
03-04-2006, 07:20 PM
aggie, i think your coloring looks pretty nice, if anything just too yellowish, but i thing you did an awesome job on the lower body of the woman on the right

redjesus
03-05-2006, 08:09 AM
ok i decided to just go all out and do my first painting in photoshop. i wish i had a tablet but unfortunately don't have that luxury. but it seems to be going alright, much better looking than the drawing in black and white. here is the first run at the basic colors and whatnot.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/theredjesus/CGTalk/OFDW14_04.jpg

SaraD
03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
So, Im still strugglin on. And really enjoying this :bounce: Gonna look closely on all you others magnificant work tomorrow, when Im on a fast line :wavey:
http://sara.mallverkstan.net/images/WIP/LaVague_004.JPG

aggie93
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Worked a little on the Nymphs last night after church.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/Aggie93/060305Nymph.jpg

I have not decided about changing the characters yet. That is why I haven't done the heads or legs of these three. I will start the female in the upper right and left this week. I will need to decide on the characters this week as well.

Where is everyone, Spring Break or the competition?

Amerasu
03-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone!

It's been a while gone for me. I got myself busy with work again but now have some spare time and it looks like there is still plenty of time to get in on this master copy painting session. Beautiful choices. I'll definitely get something started this week and then come back with some comments and feedback for all.

Maladie
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
ericyeo: I can't get over yours, she really feels alive. I actually like her raspberry lips, it somehow brings her into a modern age...:)

redjesus: awesome start! On my screen the colours look a little fawnish (is that even a word, I looked it up in a rusty English dictionary), but this is probably just your basic layer of colour? Besides I shouldn't talk because ma gal's purple folks:).

mattellis: you make me laugh with your tattood lady and then you suddenly swing around and come up with lovely colours and a real gentle feel! It is funny how you play around with archetypes of depicturing women:).
Your brush-tip was real helpful, by the way. Thanks again for that.

aggie: I really like your lines. You still going to do the succubusses?

Okay, so this is my update. Decreased her humonguous foot a little:) and worked on the background. I consider this a 'first finished version' the way I would finish a first version of a short story. This is where I would love some feedback to delve more into it. I learned a lot already about colours and brushstrokes...but I would love to really challenge myself.
Here comes:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/rava1981/lavague5.jpg
PS. I know it's a bit blurry, because I'm working on a low res monitor (600 by 800!!): mine broke down and I had to borrow one. Will do face in close up on bigger canvas, then paste.

Maladie
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Oops...hmmm, Matt yours is really great but I confused it with SaraD's update...clumsy me:rolleyes:.
So hihi, Sara, yours is the one that is really lovely, gentle, and so on.

*don't kill me*

aggie93
03-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Sara - I could not see you work, probably my computer.

Red J. - Yours is really coming around. Bold colors.

Maladie - Great work. I cannot comment much not having experience with digital art. It looks great to me. I love the breaking waves. I wished I could have had that come out on mine. I haven't decided on the succubuses (or is it succubi?). That is why I have left the heads and legs off for now. I am thinking on finishing this one off to enter in an art show. Thanks for the crits.

svegetal
03-07-2006, 12:59 AM
1:30 hours until now

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9339/nenphys24ig.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ericyeo
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I think it is done?
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/ericyeo/wave/wave5.jpg

Maladie
03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Great work! If anything, I think her left arm looks a bit short and sturdy. For the rest, beautiful!

Rebeccak
03-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Wow, really incredible work, ericyeo! :applause: My only comment is that a few of the edges around the figure (the areas where the skin contrasts with the background) could be just a little bit more refined. A minor comment though in the context of your excellent work! :bounce:

Do you mind posting some close~ups?

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
RebeccaK: Sure. I'll post some close up tml, after some refinement and amendment.

Maladie: Yah. I had a hard time with her left hand. I'll try to fix that

SpiritDreamer
03-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi...Ericyeo....:)

BEAUTIFUL.....has that .. ONENESS .....GREAT COLORS and ...GREAT JOB...:thumbsup: :applause:

TAKE CARE
Glenn