PDA

View Full Version : Summary of Taron's hints

Wegg
02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
I had Sil3 put together a list of the "hints" that Taron has mentioned this past week. I think it is important to note that this is Taron just speaking out loud and that we shouldn't be upset if these features don't show up, take longer to develop than you would wish or don't work the way he describes them. This is just Taron speaking out loud and not any official pmG "future development" list. OK!?!

Workflow:
- Replacing materials now has a requester to load replacemente materials (Undos work on it), copy and paste, duplicate.

- Editing procedures, including the material handling (replace, copy&past and the old copy is now actually dublicate), we are optimizing the internal handling of everything.

- Revamped Edit-Sphere (addressing awkwardness in some accessability situations, when the edit-sphere is above other vital handles).

- Right button menu improvements.

- Repaired, relabeled and refunctioned funky button labels.

New Shading/Render Features:
- Rendering Particles.

- Tintable (reflections, transparency, translucency...)

- Render overall improvements that make it behave more natural than ever when it comes to glossiness of the surface and the diffuse shading.

- Exporting Buffers (6 new ones).

Things to add/been looking at right now:
- Post FX filters.

- Realtime Displacements for the viewport and some additional ways of animating them.

- Displacements not only using along their normals.

- Baking.

- Ngon support.

- Bone merge.

- Real 3d armatures.

- Weight painting.

- Setup alignment methods as well as animated.

- Hair (which won't be missing for long now).

AAAron
02-19-2006, 08:24 PM
:drool: :bowdown: :drool: :bowdown: :buttrock: :beer: :applause:

Wireframes
02-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Just do it ...:bounce:

DMack
02-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Some cool stuff - and glad to see some 'Animate' items beginning to appear - I was starting to think it was being forgotten.

Joscci
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I for one, I'm glad to see Messiah being 'expanded' in the areas hinted above. Additional Buffer exports, Weight Painting (at last!?), this is good to hear indeed, but considering pmG's small development team, I'll hold the 'I'm getting excited part' until I see it released.

Nevertheless, good news. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

PaulNewman
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Slightly off topic here, but have you guys listened to some of Taron's music? I've downloaded some of his compositions and enjoy working to them. I got the links on Taron's site. He's rather talented.

catizone
02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Wegg....

Ooohhhh.... Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh.........

Best,

Rick

Wegg
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
eh?

Oh yea what?

Someone mocking my crappy memory again? Where did I hide that easter egg. . .

catizone
02-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Wegg,

That was Oh Yeah as in "really cool".."we deserve it"..."PMG comes thru again"...finally "Hair"...etc.

Definitely not a put down, but a reflection of how happy I was in reading Taron's post, and your concise list that renewed my enthusiasm.

RIght now, I'm in a Portfolio class where students are working with Maya, and I'm saying..
"You mean you can't just split a bone?" "You mean you can't animate on Parent coordinates when you need to?" Actually, since I just started back into messiah, I am appreciating anew how wonderful I always thought it was an an animator's dream tool.

Best,
Rick

stooch
02-28-2006, 08:41 AM
all those features sound great. especially the armatures, baking and hair. Particles sound interesting too, i have some realflow bin files id love to play with. One thing that sucks about LWs particle rendering is the lack of hypervoxel blending and not very robust render speed. I think an efficient volumetric surface generator using particle distance and blending would be the ideal solution. However, once the surface is calculated, a realistic shader is in order. Again, LW requires the double sided polygon trick, thats a disadvantage because currently next limits main rendering tool is the mesh generator. although it saves time when rendering, it takes a long time to generate....

also, it would be great to implement smoothing filters onto the volumetrics! Real flow does this and it adds a crucial level of control to my final surface shape.

timnhe
02-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Wegg, this features are fantastic!!, but i can´t imagine wath is the "Real 3d armatures", can you tell us about this?

And ... :rolleyes: Do you know any news about the colision detection for the cloth dynamics?, yes I have your Tutorial yet, but i think that is possible to review the old system for best improve.

Thanks
Agustín Quintanilla

Wegg
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I would assume it is just the same as a regular armature. . . only you can use 3D objects instead of the current little sprites that don't scale with the model.

I . . . guess I just haven't run into a problem with Messiah's soft bodies that I haven't been able to solve with the techniques I showed in the video. I have never attempted to clothe an entire figure though. I think thats is an un-realistic expectation for any system like this. People I have spoken too that use the "high end" tools that are on the market describe the same horror stories and solutions that are far FAR more complex than Messiah's solution. Apparently at ILM "it just works". Look at Yoda's robe. :drool: I think the Pixar guys used a lot of "smart skin" and not cloth for the parts of the clothing that sit ON the object. But I could be wrong.

I think that is a round about way of saying that I don't have any new information about advancements in collision detection with soft bodies. I know that they have only just been updated. (relative to the history of the program) And I'm personally looking forward to them concentrating on other areas. . .

stooch
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
oh yeah, collision definitelly needs improvement. for me thats a huge priority. but frankly id be happy just if the hints happen. and preferably in my life time. :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.