PDA

View Full Version : Problems working with text particles in C2...

Nlafakis
12-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Hey all,

I'm using combustion 2 and messing around with the particle systems (lots of fun if you havn't tried it yet). The problem I'm having is with the text effects library... I want to use a text effect that I see loaded in the library, but I can't seem to change the text that the effect creates. I'm wondering if I have to change the image that represents the text, or what...

Let me know if you have any suggestions...

Splice
12-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Particles in combustion are based on bitmap shapes that are usually 128x128. So what you need to do is create your text and save it as a targa file with an alpha channel (32-bit).

Now create your text particle effect in combustion with the standard text.... When you're happy with the effect then expand the text particle in the workspace panel and select the particle type....

Now in the particle operator there should be a tab called "Shape". Select that menu and you will find an import button, click it. Select your TGA file and click ok. You will get the settings to adjust, IE: Alpha, pre-multiply etc.... make sure you get these settings correct and click ok.

Now with the particle type selected, the "Swap" button should be visible and not greyed out. Click the button once and the particles will assume the shape of your new text.

If you have more then one particle type in an emitter... maybe 4 shapes then you would have to change each shape seperately...

Splice...:bounce:

Nlafakis
12-12-2002, 05:28 PM
I can't thank you enough. It's hard to figure things out in this program when the help file is so general in its explanations. I thought it might have had something to do with the images, just because of the ones that were used...

Thanks again,
Shin

Splice
12-12-2002, 07:50 PM
I think I might write some tutorials on combustion and set them up on a site......

The question is, should it be free or should I charge for my time?

(every other training place charges....)

Splice...

Nlafakis
12-12-2002, 09:05 PM
That all depends on how good the product is and how well it's presented. What I mean is, I'm sure that you would write great tutorials, but how many? and how easy would the user be able to sign on to the service? If both are satisfied, than it would definately be worth paying for, but you should always think about outselling your competitor as well :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.