PDA

View Full Version : Fire flowing along a curve

kemilian
02-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Hiya I'm a student currently working on a Dynamics Assignment so I'm new to this whole bag of tricks so I'm hoping someone out there can give me a helping hand.

My problem is that I want some fire to flow along a curve which I have done relatively unscathed using Effects/Create Curve Flow and tweaking the attributes of the particles to look like fire. My problem is that when it flows along the curve it's flipped the particles onto their side so they are moving horizontally along the curve which is not what I'm after. I know that after you create a Flow that it adds a whole heap of expressions onto your particles but I have no idea how to tweak those to get the result I'm after or if this is even possible :argh:

I have attached some links to some nasty playblasts of the scene with the Flow and another playblast of some fire which is how I want it to flow down the curve. If someone out there is willing to give me some pointers or put me onto a tutorial or something that will lead me in the right direction I would really appreciate it ;)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/kemiliani/images/fireFlow.avi
http://users.bigpond.net.au/kemiliani/images/Fire.avi

AndersEgleus
02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
It seems that you want the fire growing along a curve instead of flowing along a curve. You should skip particle flow altogether, there's a much simpler way of creating fire growing along a curve:

Create a simple curve which intersects the "growth curve". Use cut curve to cut the "growth curve" with the intersecting curve - select Edit Curves/Cut Curves Tool with options and set Cut to Use Last Curve and check Keep Original. Locate the cut curve you want to keep and expand its detachCurve history node in the channel box. Keyframe the detachCurve node's parameterU attribute so that the curve grows.

Now you can select the growing curve and select Effects/Create Fire, just make sure the Fire Emitter Type is set to curve, and the fire will spread along the curve.

kemilian
02-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Heya Anders,

Thanks for the speedy reply I really appreciate it. I will have a stab at that tonight after work... will keep u posted as to whether I can get it to function properly or not :-)

kemilian
02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Anders,

That worked an absolute treat thanks for your help... even taught the lecturers here something they didn't know :)

AndersEgleus
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Cool! Makes me a lecturer lecturer :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.