PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT PHOENIX ENTRY: Michael Bugden

buggsy
02-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks Brian for this creative outlet. I hope I can do my script justice.

"Somewhere deep in the hostile Australian outback in a captivating moment of unbridled freedom, the F111 reveals its true nature. Reflected in the cool waters deep at the base of the gorge is seen its raging heart, born of fire."

Buggsy

Vizfizz
02-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Welcome aboard!

Looking forward to seeing what you have instore for all of us.

Good luck.

buggsy
02-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Have finalized my concept. Let me know what you think.
Buggsy

mike33
02-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Howdy Buggsy,

When you were thinking of the F111, did you consider the change in wing configuration to be the rebirth and transformation?

~Mike

buggsy
02-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Thank you for your time to comment!

Yes I had. My information tells me that the F111's originally design development was for it to be used as a multi-service tactical strike fighter but after seven years of expensive development was only utilised by the air force.

Focusing on the wing box problems, that your probably refering to, or the longer wing of the B version (my model is of the C version) for me are probably technical issues that the veiwer of the image wouldn't be able to connect with. I more so want it to be an insightful image of the F111's true heart. Born of fire.

I'v been directly under the F111 (have video footage of it) at an air show here in Australia while it was doing a dump and burn! The thrill of that tearing, roaring, thunderous sound and wing swept posture like an attacking predator (phoenix overtones) with its ears back and aggressive expresion is more what I want to capture (lets hope).

I would be interested to here what your information is on the wing configuration. My son and I are currently putting together a scale model (my reference for the computer model) done in Silo.......love the intuitive feel of it.

Buggsy :thumbsup:

mike33
02-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi Buggsy,

My knowledge on the F111 is pretty general. When you posted your treatment the first thing I thought about was the aircrafts ability to change its wing configuration for speed. I believe when the wings are pulled in the aircraft is geared for its fastest speed.

Great story idea, I hope you can get that Born of fire look....

gotta go... 3 week old is ready for a change...

~mike

buggsy
02-28-2006, 12:48 AM
This is how my F111c model is going. The wings have a few pinches in them but will iron them out before I finish it.

Sorry about the size of the image. I can't seem to upload to much to CGSociety and I don't know how to upload them to my web site. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Armament and other less major parts to come. Engine air intakes yet to be modeled. We are part way through modeling the 1:48 scale model that my son and I are putting together and I want the understanding of all its little traits to sink into my mind so I can focus on its presence in the scene.

Not sure how to treat the cockpit yet. To see the pilot in the cockpit brings the size of these machines into context. I have up close photos from an air show of a helmet which I should use along with modeling the pilot from waist up.

Was looking to have bombs onboard that are tied in with the EI logo. Creating a scence of the true weapon that EI is. Also considering decals of the same nature.

I am yet to build the exhaust cowlings that are suppose to be open when the dump and burn kicks in. Just figured out from our model that they fit over the exhaust cowling like a sleeve.

Love working with Silo. This is my first model with it so I'm sure I'll get better at it.

Buggsy

richardjoly
02-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Great! Nice model.
This is your first model in Silo... Well, this is not what my first model looked like...
It was more like a sick potato...

tjs61822
02-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Great start. Agree with you on Silo. It has the shortest learning curve of any modeler I've tried.

Tim

buggsy
03-06-2006, 12:44 PM
This is my F111C so far. Still needs lots of work and detail. Where do you stop!

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/F111C_test_1.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Buggsy

bronco
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
looks great! i love the detailing you put on the skin.
only critic: the canopy frame looks a little thick. i don't have any reference right now, but i imagine it nearly leveled with the glass.

tjs61822
03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Really like it. Nice rivet detail.

Tim

buggsy
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, I realized after I built the canopy frame that I wasn't being honest enough with what the frame really looks like. I will go back and fix that umongst other things. I have some really great reference photos so I have no excuse to do a good job of it. I experimented with the cammoflage shader last night because I wasn't happy with its result either. I now have a better looking cammoflage.

Thanks for the comments.

Buggsy

mike33
03-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Buggsy,

Your F111 is looking good. I think that you could add a little more detail such as antenna, the needle tip on the nose, and maybe a little more on the engine exhaust, to separete it from the aircraft. Last thing would be wing lights and the Pylons. [My only good reference on the F111 is from a book titled "Sky Warriors" ISBN 0-233-99120-4, pg 90,91.]

I don't think you need to show the rivets unless your doing a close up.

How do you intend on showing the speed of the aircraft? Motion Blurred backgound?

~Mike

buggsy
03-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I have almost finished the F111C physical model so I am picking up on all other the elements you are commenting about.

Have also improved the cockpit frame.

I am having problems with the EI cammo shader. Seems to be acting unpredictable. Not sure if I need to spend some time finding out how it works.

Remodeled the frame last night. Here it is:-
http://www.gooddesign.com.au/F111C_test_2.jpg

Buggsy

yhloon
03-07-2006, 07:25 AM
wow! that is very nice...:thumbsup:

Loon

bronco
03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
nice, the frame is much better now.
the model is really good as it is, but two more hours and it could be perfect, at least for my eye. look here:

http://www.orangefx.de/pp/f-111.jpg

yeah, i know, i can be a pain in the ... , but don't get me wrong, i love the model you have so far, i just want to help.

uwe

buggsy
03-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks yhloon & bronco.

Thanks for the reference photo bronco. I'm reasonably pleased with the model and will add the extra bits and some. The are that you highlighted as being thicker is complex and I don't know how to remedy it yet.

Buggsy

buggsy
03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I have forgotten to post my images with the template but hope this hasn't jepardized my continuing in this comp. I have rectified this by fixing the images my links are connected to, and have asked Brian to rule on whether I have violated the rules enough to be disqualified.

"All images must be placed into this template and all informational fields must be filled out. Failure to do so can cause disqualification."

If I am disqualified I have learnt a lot and feel accomplished to have produced what I consider to be a great model of an F111C.

I hope that I haven't been disqualified because I really want to see this through. My hard drive is full of unfinished projects.

Here is my latest render.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/F111C_test_3.jpg

Buggsy

Vizfizz
03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Keep going Buggsy.. see my answer in Q&A.

buggsy
03-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Have finished the textures on the main body of the plane. Used the EI cammo shader with the cloud shader for dirt type finish. On top of that a photoshop texture of the panel rivets and the decals.

Will leave the pilot till last. Not sure how much of him will be seen and I need to concentrate on the phoenix reflection object.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/F111C_front_elevation_view1.jpg

Buggsy

odwalla
03-11-2006, 04:18 PM
WOw,it becomes more and more powerful.and also beautiful. Nice works :thumbsup:

halfworld
03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
...and very dramatic!!!

Every time I look at that render I want to duck!
Ian

buggsy
03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Heres my scene put together with the F111C.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/F111C_scene_test_shot1.jpg

Have some issues and additions to make before it is complete. Am almost finished my phoenix and will experiment with its location etc.

The rocks and reeds don't reflect well when using the "secondary" light. I will have to either do a seperate pass for reflections or just use secondary rays from the GI interface but don't like the render hit I'll get. I hope there aren't too many marks assigned to how long the rendering time was?

The afterburn doesn't have shadows activated so I am going to do a seperate pass for it also.

Will complete my background model of distant mountains, the pilot/cockpit & am having troubles getting the sky to look the way I want. I'm not sure of the foreground trees either. I think they need more detail.

Let me know what you think

Buggsy

tjs61822
03-15-2006, 03:40 AM
What a great image! The water really adds to it. My only suggestion is to add some turbulence to the distant water, but definitely keep the close water calm. I think the sky looks fine.

Tim

richardjoly
03-16-2006, 02:43 AM
I like the elements the way they are, plants in foreground and all. maybe a little deformation caused by the heat of the jets?

bronco
03-16-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah, nice dynamic picture.

if you don't have the time to model the pilot and all, you can allways put some mockup in there. sphere for the helmet, streched cylinder for the body. some cubes for the panels. make everything black, without specular and aplly some nice luminance maps for the panels. i think it would give the eye some hint of detailing without revealing too much. on this scale you wouldn't even notice much more.

the shadow of the f111 on the mountain wall seems too big for my eye, or the scale of the mountain seems off, compared to the shadow, i don't know.

and i want to see some big waves in the background water caused be the jet, this has to splash!! :)

buggsy
03-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Here's my completed image.

http://www.gooddesign.com.au/Operation_Strike_Phoenix.jpg

13 render passes composited in photoshop with blend modes:- linear dodge, color dodge & multiply using alpha channels for masks.

Hope you like it. It's been lots of fun.

Buggsy

tjs61822
03-22-2006, 04:54 AM
Wow! Love the shadow, works really well. Highlights on the tree leaves and fired missile are a nice touch.

Tim

richardjoly
03-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Excellent! I love the shadow and the firey reflection in the water. Congrats!
I just saw the "driver"... makes the whole thing so much bigger!

yhloon
03-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Looks very good, the 'flare' at the back look so dynamic, the shadow are nice:thumbsup:...

but it take 14 hours to render?
does it include all the passes?

regards,
Loon

odwalla
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Great! Especially phoenix shadow is excellent idea.Beauty and Power!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.