PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray error: "no photons stored after emitting..."

fakey
02-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I get this thing all the time when i try to render with mental ray. Any solutions?

francescaluce
02-18-2006, 03:26 PM
do a simple search there're plenty of answers on
the subject. generally is that you setup an omni
light for your photons without a dome sphere where
the photons will bounce back in the scene or just
you've not set up correctly your photon mats.

ciao
francesca

royterr
02-18-2006, 04:46 PM
esxactly it's a bounce problem.....i had this problem when rendering thin objects.

create a plane or a dome and turn off the visibility, it should work.

Halford
02-18-2006, 04:51 PM
You are emiting photons from your light and they travel untill they reach an object and might bounce depending on your setting.

What I normally do is to create a sphere arround my scene and apply a normal modifier otherwhise they go trought it. the just set the shere to not render or use it as a dome, that's up to you.

Hal.

fakey
02-19-2006, 12:37 PM
You are emiting photons from your light and they travel untill they reach an object and might bounce depending on your setting.

What I normally do is to create a sphere arround my scene and apply a normal modifier otherwhise they go trought it. the just set the shere to not render or use it as a dome, that's up to you.

Hal.

Now i don't get the error and the warning, but the GI still doesn't work :hmm:

Halford
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
What do you mean it does not work? is it all black? If you did a camera, make sure that's inside the sphere or il will be all black.

could you describe me a bit your scene/light so i can picture it in my mind, or send me a print screen to my PM.

Hal.

fakey
02-19-2006, 01:49 PM
What i mean with it doesn't work: Well, it doesn't seem like it's working, check out the pic i added.

Okey, i have a "room" with floor, 4 walls, and no roof. In the "room" have an object.

Lightning:
1 standard 3dsmax skylight.
1 mr spot light where the target hits 1 of the 4 walls.

And around all this i have a cube with the normal modifier added.

Caustics is on
GI is on
FG is on

Halford
02-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Do you have any self illuminating object / material?

How is set up the object, is it very reflective? how about the walls?

I'm quicly doing it on my machine too se where it bugs, but for the moment I only have 2 maps with no details :

Hal.

fakey
02-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Well, the box i have around the scene is glow, if that was what you ment about the self-illimunating thing?

If you use max 8, can you add my msn adress helikopter_7@hotmail.com so you can take a look at the scene?

Halford
02-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Hi Fakey,

sorry I did not came back so shortly yesterday on msn, it took longer then expected.

did the max file I sent you help out?

let me konw.

Hal.

Komarcic
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
yes well that is a very familiar problem with the bouncing thing. one thing that you should keep in mind is that the second bounce counts and NOT the first. for eg...if you were shooting out photons towards a reflective plane, they would all be bouncing towards the infinite space and wouldn't achieve their second bounce. and this way MR will be shooting off photons and not enough photons will ever reach their second bounce. this way MR goes into infinity loop. it's like while(photons != 10000){shoot out another 10000}

fakey
02-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Halford: it did almost turned out that way except of some light settings and the shadows where like "low-poly" . dunno..

Halford
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Fakey, let me know if I can help more, I'm a bit busy, but in the morning I'm on msn.

Hal.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.