PDA

View Full Version : First Portfolio Tests

Torador
02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm applying to a well-known games company in a few weeks, that are primarily involved in racing games, so I've made a showreel for the application.

http://www.asuraportfolio.com

Any opinions or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

KevinKraeer
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
On your site, I'd make a big yellow graphical button to download the reel that you want them to download (probably the 20 MB one). You could just have it say 'Download Demo Reel' or something. Then I'd put the lines below it, and links to alternate versions, as smaller text. As it stands now everything is kind of running together on the page.

As far as the reel, I am not an expert on modeling cars but I did see some loops making a few weird deviations, check the back of the car, the 'arms' on either side of the rear windshield...I saw some points pulled out of line there. There seemed to be some smoothing needed on the grill parts as well. The area around the fog lamps needed to be cleaned up a little bit I think. The main problem there, for me, is that the line that makes up the curve of the car is a bit jagged. For instance, as it travels from the left side of the grill area to the right side, there seem to be bumps and divets that wouldn't be there on the real car...specfically where the fog lamps happen. The shader is awesome. Very game-ish.

The only other things I thought I would mention are that it would be really cool if you had another car on there. If you have time, I'd strongly recommend at least one other vehicle. Then you can drop that sequence at the end with the muffler and replace it with another car. Though it was nicely shaded, the muffler part was a wildly uninteresting sequence.

Good luck and keep on truckin.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.