PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about Frames Per Sec

neuromancer1978
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
It's the middle of the night, I am in the middle to end of finishing my demo reel and I just realized that ALL except one of my 3D renders were done in film 24 fps. I wanted to burn this all onto DVD tommorow, but now I am sure that isn't happening. So here is a very dumb question that I am pretty sure I know, but just in case....

Is there in After Effects a way to have your AVI renders that were saved as 24fps, expanded to 30 fps without losing quality or flickering problems? If there is that is good news, but since I am pretty sure there isn't - I am going to spend the next week re-rendering.

But I have a glimmer of hope, or am I correct to assume all is lost?

Mylenium
02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
It's the middle of the night, I am in the middle to end of finishing my demo reel and I just realized that ALL except one of my 3D renders were done in film 24 fps. I wanted to burn this all onto DVD tommorow, but now I am sure that isn't happening. So here is a very dumb question that I am pretty sure I know, but just in case....

Is there in After Effects a way to have your AVI renders that were saved as 24fps, expanded to 30 fps without losing quality or flickering problems? If there is that is good news, but since I am pretty sure there isn't - I am going to spend the next week re-rendering.

But I have a glimmer of hope, or am I correct to assume all is lost?

Forgive my saying so, but believing you might be able to do this without loosing quality would be naive and things simply don't work this way. Now your dilemma isn't really a dilemma, since combining footage with different frame rates from different sources is quite commonly done and there are several ways to approach this.

First, you could give AE's simple frame blending a try. This may not give the best results since it will simply double frames/ fields and animation will stutter when "blowing it up". If you have AE 7, this gets better - the build-in frameblending is much more advanced and for even more control you can use the new timewarp effect, which is based on Kronos from The Foundry. There are a few similar effects out there, such as Twixtor from ReVision effects.

There is one big downside: All of the methods will have some noticeable render hit in AE. Depending on the type of footage you might consider re-rendering some parts of your 3D stuff, but I wouldn't do it for everything. The aforementioned methods work very well with normal and slow-moving footage, only very fast-moving stuff will give you problems.

Mylenium

jasonsco
02-19-2006, 01:10 AM
I have to disagree . . . don't do frame blending. Going from 24fps to 30fps is a standard technique, and you don't really have to lose any quality. All you need to do is insert 3:2 pulldown so that it becomes 30fps. How do you think we take film (which is at 24fps) and put it on a DVD? Any editing program should have a way to insert 3:2 pulldown, and then you can go to your DVD.

Yes, frame-blending would be a good idea if it was a different frame rate, but since it's at 24fps, 3:2 pulldown is the standard for going to 30fps.

Mylenium
02-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I have to disagree . . . don't do frame blending. Going from 24fps to 30fps is a standard technique, and you don't really have to lose any quality. All you need to do is insert 3:2 pulldown so that it becomes 30fps. How do you think we take film (which is at 24fps) and put it on a DVD? Any editing program should have a way to insert 3:2 pulldown, and then you can go to your DVD.

You're so right! I guess I should restrain myself from answering questions in the evening when my brain's all munched up. ;o)

Mylenium

neuromancer1978
02-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Sweet. I have worked with AE before, but not a lot. I figured there was a way, but had no idea HOW. I'll give it shot.

Thanks a lot! :D

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 06:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.