PDA

View Full Version : Insert/Delete layer? *cry

Johnny9ball
02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Here is a little Q!

On the layers panel when I insert a layer it moves all the layer down the list with the layer names Moved with the layers. Now when I delete a layer with home key it moves the layers up but it does not move the layer names with the layers they all get shifted out of place. What I would like is to move my layers around and have them retain there layer names much like you organize your texture layers. I like to keep my Layers organized and it seams like LW just fights me. Is there any plug-ins that will help me keep my layers organized. I would like to drag and drop them as I please just like texture layers and always have there names move with them. Layers do not seam interactive at all. It feels like they don't want you to move them around easily.

Nothing quite as frustrating as having a multi layered object and accidentally messing up your well organized layer list. There are so many times I said to myself I wish I could just rearrange my layers its getting messy but I cant do it easly Poo. Please please tell me there is a plug in that will solve all my layer Nightmares!

Help ME!

thx1138
02-18-2006, 04:34 PM
To tell you the truth, I have no idea what you mean. The layers work just fine for me.

I just tested. Three layers with different names. I insert a 4th one, and renamed it. After that I delete the layer and the ones blow shift back up, including names.
Is this what you mean ?

Have you got the latest build from Newtek ?

Johnny9ball
02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
When I delete a layer using the home key for delete the layers shift up but the names for the layers do not move with them. It causes all the layers to be misnamed because the names dident shift with the layers. I cant explain it any more simple than that. I am running a licenced 8.5 version. I just tryed it again same thing.

kevman3d
02-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Hmmm, I didn't realise that the layer names moved when you deleted them either (though I don't tend to use the insert layer options).

I did write a small handful of Layer 'sliding' tools if they are of interest - Select all layers you want then 'slide' them (and names) left and right if there's a gap. Have a looksee and see if they help...

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=modeler

Kev.

Johnny9ball
02-19-2006, 06:18 AM
I am going to try those, that looks like just what I need. It sure would be nice to have more functionality built into layers in LW.

Johnny9ball
02-19-2006, 06:31 AM
That helps a TON. I am going to remap my keys for that plugin. Now I can move my layers around easier.

Maybe you can program a drag and drop for layers. So you can drag and drop a layer in between layers just like texture layers! :D

Johnny9ball
02-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Slide layers seams to work fine. Clear gaps seams to have unpredictable results. I tried it in a few different instances and it worked but on my Mclaren model clear gaps deleted a bunch of layers. Ooh well slide layers is still very helpful.

Johnny9ball
02-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Slide layers seams to work fine. Clear gaps seams to have unpredictable results. I tried it in a few different instances and it worked but on my Mclaren model clear gaps deleted a bunch of layers. Ooh well slide layers is still very helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2006, 06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.